Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: stump removal trouble

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 11:22 AM
    Thanks

stump removal trouble

I have popped a few stumps with my 750 tractor with a #7 backhoe...I even popped one decent size stump that had been a blow down, so I only had to dig up half...but it was on a side hill so it had its own issues. but the last stump I am still working on is holding fast I am 3 feet down all around and I have maybe one big horizontal root clump left...but this thing isn't even wigglin a little...does anyone think I might have a tap root? it was cut a LONG time ago and was a big tree!! so I don't really know what type...I might be an oak or a maple....only because there are two big trees left that are maples...

I have even resorted to chopping away under the root ends with a pick ax, because I cant reach under there with the hoe.... I have even cut several roots stringers with the chainsaw..of course I have ruined that blade....because there are rocks inside the dam roots... this soil is all bankrun under the topsoil...

so if anyone has any tips other than dynamite, and paying $600 for an excavator to come in/..... id love to hear them...

bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-13-2019 @ 06:00 AM
    Thanks
    Well, if times were a little different I'd recommend what my grandfather would do, a little diesel fuel and some fertilizer.

Maybe hook a truck to it and give it a good yank? I had one that just wouldn't let go and the truck and chain did the trick.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    yeah I was thinking that's my next attempt, unless I heard a great solution...but since it doesn't budge with the backhoe, I am thinking I might not be able to pull it out with the truck.

what kind of trees have tap roots that go straight down?

I have dug soo much dirt out from around this baby, that I have had to use the loader the remove it away from the hole so I can access another spot with the backhoe!!!

I think by next year I am going to move up in tractors... I am thinking if I could get something around 30+ HP, id be better off.....

I had a line on a 4300 but it was $6K more...although it was way newer. FEL, #8 hoe, and 72 " finnish mower!!

bob

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    No suggestions but I do know stumps that size are a real challenge. Then you need to get it out of the deep hole which is also fun or just bury it right there.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    Yea, with a tree that big you may not be down deep enough to even get to the big roots yet. Even once you get it lose your machine may not even be big enough to move it. I think if I was at your stage I would cut the stump off as close to the ground as possible, fill the holes back in and rent a stump grinder to get it below ground.

An excavator would have it out in about 1 minute.
    Last edited by ToddM; 04-29-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    JD 2012 3320 end loader, 5' rear cutter, box blade, tiller,artillian forks, Fit rite hydraulic top link, 485 back hoe
    JD 1972 820 diesel Tractor
    JD 2013 Gator 825i.
    JD 2008 GX255 lawn tractor
    JD 1978 400

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    yeah that stump is going...hook or crook... I don't want rotting wood underground on the lawn...if it was the woods, I wouldn't care.... I haven't hit any roots below three feet so far....there is one root still going out to virgin ground...it might be as big as 8 or 10 " in dia...I haven't cleared out around and under it enough by hand to use the chainsaw yet...but since its still pretty stubborn, I thought...maybe it has a tap root!!

but in the end ill call my brother in law, who has a big excavator....but it is a pain for him, because he is busy now and he has to load it and haul it 30 miles and unload it, pop the stump...(which should be easy and fast) get it down to the woods to discard it and then load that suclker up and hual her back to his site and unload it......much more of a project that just saying the words.."can you just pop this stump for me please"

as a toolmaker, I hate it when engineers come in and tell me they have a 5 minute job for me....which is usually nothing but.. ha ha

bob
    mjncad likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Have you tried a controlled burn around the root-ball?
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

10. Top | #8
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    Just a few of the trees with a tap root.... Oak, Live Oak, Burr Oak, Cedar Elm, Pines, Pecan, Hickory.

Have you tried tying a chain around the stump and hitched to your tow bar....get a little slack and then jerking on the stump? Once you get some movement,you may be able to see where you need to concentrate your digging . Although maple doesnt usually have a tap root..they can develop a huge lateral root down to a water source.
    I rented a komatsu excavator for the weekend a couple of weeks ago. It cost about 250 including trailer. But since I rented it saturday morn and returned it early monday morn, I was only charged for a day

After using the komatsu....I wanted to throw rocks at my backhoe. What a neat piece of equipment!
    Last edited by rgd; 04-29-2014 at 12:48 PM.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I don't think I can access the tow bar directly with the backhoe on the machine.... and it seems like a big job removing the backhoe!!

bob

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dvice View Post
    I don't think I can access the tow bar directly with the backhoe on the machine.... and it seems like a big job removing the backhoe!!

bob
    The drawbar is probably not accessible with the BH on, if it is there to begin with. You should take the BH off some time when you have the time, it should be fairly easy to remove and reinstall.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast