Advice on killing Yellow Jackets in the ground? - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree430Likes

Thread: Advice on killing Yellow Jackets in the ground?

1. Top | #81
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    Probably has something to do with the front porch and potentially the rest of the house and largely on becoming the target of his wife's wrath if he burnt it down.
    True. That is not something to be taken lightly. Our next door neighbor had an underground nest in a small bush at the corner of his deck. He waited until dark, poured down some liquid gold and fired it up. He stayed out with it until everything had burned out. Or so he thought. A few hours later his wife came home and told him the bush outside was on fire. Sure enough... the bush was burning. Thankfully he was able to get everything quenched with the hose but thought about how differently things may have gone had his wife not come home later.

It might not be a bad idea to flood the hole with water after burning them out.
    rtgt, Levi, coaltrain and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #82
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 2,223 Posts
    Probably has something to do with the front porch and potentially the rest of the house and largely on becoming the target of his wife's wrath if he burnt it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    True. That is not something to be taken lightly. Our next door neighbor had an underground nest in a small bush at the corner of his deck. He waited until dark, poured down some liquid gold and fired it up. He stayed out with it until everything had burned out. Or so he thought. A few hours later his wife came home and told him the bush outside was on fire. Sure enough... the bush was burning. Thankfully he was able to get everything quenched with the hose but thought about how differently things may have gone had his wife not come home later.

It might not be a bad idea to flood the hole with water after burning them out.
    Exactly right. The stump is 20 from the corner of the house. It measures 54 where the last cut was. The tree was between 150-200 - white pine. Im sure the root structure has to extend at least 50 from the stump proper. Also my 1000 gal fuel tank is within that proximity also.

Did the diesel and gas last night - covered the entrance with a piece of screen and a rock. Still a half dozen or so who look like they are trying to get in.

Ive basically given up. I might try flooding it with water tonight but I have a feeling that I will never fill it up. There are likely huge off shoots and canyons under that stump. If I had a backhoe I would just dress up after dark and destroy the entrance.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	F4FDF452-907A-472C-8561-731F777609EB.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	704492
    rtgt, rydplrs, Levi and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #83
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 794 Posts
    CT, have you considered plugging the hole?

Maybe try some of that spray foam, maybe the 'big gap' version.

Name:	717355.jpg
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	704654
    Levi, coaltrain, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #84
    Last Online
    Thanks

Name:	717355.jpg
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	704654
    Never thought about that stuff. I think I will find some if they persist for a few more days.

I left the hole covered with a piece of screen and a rock all day yesterday and overnight. Yesterday I saw maybe 6 or 8 flying around - looked like they were trying to find a way in.

Too cold yet this morning to see any activity yet.....
    rtgt, Levi and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #85
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:15 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randog View Post
    What town was he in Mike?

I didn't hear anything on the news.
    Medical examiner releases name of Edgerton man killed in bulldozer accident - WKOW

The article doesn't say anything about the bees. His dad told us.
    rtgt, Levi and PJR832 like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MDrew For This Useful Post:

Randog(09-11-2019)

9. Top | #86
    Last Online
    Thanks

Something like that might work. I had a few mole holes that they kept re-opening and I used some of this stuff and they never re-opened them. Ideally, it would be good if you could fit a small extension on the nozzle so you could stick it further down the hole before you started spraying.
    rtgt, Levi and coaltrain like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #87
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I just walked past the nest on my way to the mailbox. Its 77* now but the sun is not shining directly on it yet.

Zero activity - not one flying around. I am cautiously optimistic.......

I may very well have some other nests to deal with. I really think the idea of the expanding foam is a great one. I may get a can next trip to town next week.

Jgayman - I think I remember seeing cans of the stuff come with a tube strapped to the can on the shelf in the past.
    rtgt and Levi like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #88
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I just walked past the nest on my way to the mailbox. Its 77* now but the sun is not shining directly on it yet.

Zero activity - not one flying around. I am cautiously optimistic.......

I may very well have some other nests to deal with. I really think the idea of the expanding foam is a great one. I may get a can next trip to town next week.

Jgayman - I think I remember seeing cans of the stuff come with a tube strapped to the can on the shelf in the past.
    Yes, they come with a tube that is about 6-inches long or so. But if you had a piece of plastic tubing that would slip over the supplied tube/nozzle, you could really jam that baby down the hole before pulling the trigger. Otherwise, you'll probably only get about 12" of foam before it starts coming back at you out the hole.
    rtgt and Levi like this.

12. Top | #89
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Yes, they come with a tube that is about 6-inches long or so. But if you had a piece of plastic tubing that would slip over the supplied tube/nozzle, you could really jam that baby down the hole before pulling the trigger. Otherwise, you'll probably only get about 12" of foam before it starts coming back at you out the hole.
    The thing is - without being able to see down there - is I would want the entrance sealed. If I stick a tube down too far it will all be lost as I believe its like a canyon under there. From what I can see the entrance hole is only about 4 deep at most at the diameter it is at the top. So the plan would be to seal that 4 from the top down.

This is the image I have in my mind....sorry - first time trying to finger draw on my iPad....

Name:	138A646E-0FBE-4776-BD32-5909223AC10E.png
Views:	4
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	704660
    jgayman, rtgt and Levi like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #90
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    The thing is - without being able to see down there - is I would want the entrance sealed. If I stick a tube down too far it will all be lost as I believe its like a canyon under there.
    As I understand, yellow jackets can't dig. They just use existing cavities. You can just block the entrance and let them die off -- no need to fill everything down deep. A mound of foam, a glass bowl, or both would work just fine. You might find a second entrance somewhere else, but can deal with it in the same way. I think it's safer NOT to go deep and risk leaving an escape path. You can spray a foaming wasp/hornet killer into the hole before the final sticky foam sealer if you're nervous.
    rtgt, Levi and coaltrain like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast