Advice on killing Yellow Jackets in the ground?
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: Advice on killing Yellow Jackets in the ground?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 1,203 Posts

Advice on killing Yellow Jackets in the ground?

I unfortunately discovered that I have a huge Yellow Jacket infestation in the center of a large bush. The bush is about 24" around at the base and the base is packed about 8" deep with years of dead leaves and debris. Most of the bee activity seems to be concentrated near the center of the debris. I figure the hole is located somewhere UNDER the dense leaves and debris which makes precise location of the hole nearly impossible.

I tried dousing the area with bee-killing insecticide then later flooding the whole area at night for about 20 mins and both was totally ineffective.

This evening I took a long pole and agitated the leaves in the center of the bush and that resulted in a huge swarm of bees all around the base of the bush.

I've taken care of Yellow Jackets in the past but in those cases the hole in the ground was in a clear area so it was easy to fill with kerosene, light, and enjoy the show.

I'm thinking I may have no choice but to soak the base of the bush with kerosene and do an initial burn to see if it either kills them or reveals the hole. The bush is out in the middle of the yard away from everything and I'm not concerned about saving the bush as it is an eyesore.

Does anyone have any alternative words of wisdom before I embark on my fire bombing mission?
    pcabe5, Tomfive, rtgt and 5 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Marlin (10-08-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    12-12-2018 @ 03:10 PM
    Thanks
    Burn, baby, burn.

Soak it real good and light it off. Should take care of most, if not all of them.

If possible do it when it is a bit chilly out as they are a bit less lethal (i.e. slower moving) when cold.
    pcabe5, Tomfive, rtgt and 3 others like this.
    2017 4044R Open Station, eHydro, iMatch, H180 MSL loader & R4's.
    Power Beyond (BLV10969), 3rd EH SCV (BLV10764),
    John Deere 485A Backhoe with HD 18" Bucket & mechanical thumb,
    Frontier AP12F 48" Pallet Forks, BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072 Rotary Cutter,
    PHD200 Post Hole Digger w/12" Auger, Titan Ballast Box, FIMCO 3pt Sprayer

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    Get a chemical called Sevin. At any lawn shop its kills bees real fast. Wife mowed over some last year and what a mess.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    We usually have a nest or two here each year. This year I used a product that foamed up upon application. Works pretty good. The foaming action expands inside the hole so no matter where they step, they get coated.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks
    I feel for ya', I have been trying to clean up parts of my property and I am now a little apprehensive, having uncovered several nests of those suckers.

One nest I "found" when moving some old firewood, pissed them off, got stung 12 times.

Found another 2 weeks later when I was weedwacking some underbrush, got stung 16 times there, thought at first I had just kicked some debris at my arm with the trimmer. Had to slam some benadryl for a couple of days, right arm took 8 hits and remained swollen for a week.

Each time I was covered head to toe with yellow jackets, smacking them like crazy as I ran up the driveway to the garage (kind of like in the cartoons). For each of those nests I sprayed several cans of the off the shelf killer, seems to have done the job, but on those nests I knew where the hole was.

I'm trying to find something that I can spray over a large area, so that if there are any nests they can be neutralized. I'm tired of finding them after the attack.

I may just hold off on any more clearing until winter, maybe freezing weather will keep them in their homes.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Light it up. You don't need our permission. lol
    The fire should get rid of all 3 problems. Leaves, bees & bush.
    rtgt, Levi, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 956 Posts
    If you want the bush gone, then light it up I guess. If it were me and they were away from people, I'd just let it sit. Then during the winter, clean up all the leaf debris to discourage them from coming back next year. Unfortunately I don't have a miracle cure, I usually have success with multiple applications of bee spray. Good Luck
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
    We usually have a nest or two here each year. This year I used a product that foamed up upon application. Works pretty good. The foaming action expands inside the hole so no matter where they step, they get coated.
    My problem is that due to all of the debris in the bush it is impossible to locate the hole.
    pcabe5, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rw580 View Post
    I feel for ya', I have been trying to clean up parts of my property and I am now a little apprehensive, having uncovered several nests of those suckers.
    What is weird is I have trimmed this bush several times this year without incident and then about a month ago I went to nip two little shooters off the top and suddenly two bees came flying out at my head, bounced off the underside of my hat and went behind my glasses. I got stung on the puffy part under one eye and right above the other eye. Then as I turned to exit one got me in the back. My eyes were so swollen I could hardly see for about 4 days.

That's when I started to plan the fire mission. :-)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    What is weird is I have trimmed this bush several times this year without incident and then about a month ago I went to nip two little shooters off the top and suddenly two bees came flying out at my head, bounced off the underside of my hat and went behind my glasses. I got stung on the puffy part under one eye and right above the other eye. Then as I turned to exit one got me in the back. My eyes were so swollen I could hardly see for about 4 days.

That's when I started to plan the fire mission. :-)
    After that one situation I feel your pain, if you don't mind loosing the bush and it's not a fire hazard to other parts of the property I'd definitely torch it. We have been getting some brisk mornings, you could try and dig it out then.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast