Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Best way to level a yard

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 01:08 PM
    Thanks

Best way to level a yard

Hello everyone. Newbie here just got my 1025R about a month ago and I'm loving it but it is my first tractor so still learning a lot. I've read a lot a great posts and garnered some great information from the forums but I haven't been able to find anyone with my exact issue.

I have 5 acres of land that were once used as a hay field, as a result the yard I now mow has a lot of ruts and makes for a very bumpy ride. I'm wondering if anyone has leveled a yard that is grass? I've seen quite a few posts on road leveling but not sure if it will work the same trying to level sod. I'm looking at back blades, box blades, land planers but still not sure if any of them would work to cut through the sod and level it out or if that is even worth trying. Just wondering if anyone has experience on such a project as my bumpy yard is negatively affecting my beer's carbonation

Thanks again for all the great info I've read through so far.
    andy b. likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I can't help with your question, but wanted to say:

If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    Till the high spots and go over it with a land plane or box blade to fill in the low spots. It might be easiest to get a farmer to disc it up and replant the whole field. If you don't want to work the whole thing up filling in the low spots with top soil may work.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,987 Times in 2,944 Posts
    First and foremost, welcome to GTT GTHOE.
    With ejb69's post in mind, is the plan to level ALL 5 acres?
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT!

I've done some spot touch ups on my yard,using a box blade. I dont know if I would want to do the whole yard like this tho. Here's what I did:
    I dumped top soil in the area then using my box blade with the front cutting blade tilted back (top link extended). I pulled the new soil along with the BB just riding along the existing surface. With the BB tilted back, the blade wasnt actually cutting into the existing soil...or grass.But it filled the low spots and sort of knocked off the high's.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    Some areas it may be best to bring in some dirt to fill the ruts or low areas. Some areas you may be able to use a box blade to knock off the high spots. Depending on how big the high spots are and on the type of dirt you are working you may have some problems due to the smaller size of your tractor and the lack of hydraulic down pressure on the 3 point. There are always ways to work around this.

If you're in hard dirt such as clay the lack of hydraulic down pressure on the 3 point will be an issue for larger bumps. If you have some bumps that are a bit big you can make multiple passes with the box blade or scoop them with your bucket. I found sometimes it's easier to use a tiller on these larger hills and then move the dirt with a box blade or your bucket. If you don't have a box blade I would get one. It will definitely be your main tool for leveling.
    - Mike - 2012 John Deere 3320 eHydro with cab, 300cx loader

John Deere 6' 6" 3 point snow blower, Frontier 48" pallet forks, King Kutter 5' box blade, 6' back blade, 5' rake, 5' tiller, and 5' brush hog, Northstar log splitter, Chief 22 gpm PTO pump, 8'6" hydraulic V-Plow, BXpanded 72" Piranha toothbar.

9. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,987 Times in 2,944 Posts
    A nice big heavy roller may work after a good rain.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    Or run the tiller around and then roll it. I've done that and it worked well.
    Gizmo2 and 636mullet like this.
    - Mike - 2012 John Deere 3320 eHydro with cab, 300cx loader

John Deere 6' 6" 3 point snow blower, Frontier 48" pallet forks, King Kutter 5' box blade, 6' back blade, 5' rake, 5' tiller, and 5' brush hog, Northstar log splitter, Chief 22 gpm PTO pump, 8'6" hydraulic V-Plow, BXpanded 72" Piranha toothbar.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    I've used a tiller on bad spots in my yard. Also used the loader to fill in some low spots. In the spring when the grass is flat from snowpack I know my yard is pretty easy to see where trouble spots are.

Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,089 Posts
    There's no 'one' solution to the problem. Working on my yard has been a mixture of cutting off high spots with the loader and a box blade, filling other spots and it could use a good flattening with a big roller.

A roller will do the least grass damage, which may make things tolerable. Beyond that, you will need scarifer teeth on a box blade or land plane to cut through the existing turf and level it, then reseed.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast