• 2 Post By PJR832
  • 4 Post By keane

Thread: Can I have some grass please???

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:12 AM
    Thanks

Can I have some grass please???

So I've finally removed alot of trees causing harm to the house. But I'd like to grow grass or some type of ground cover in my wooded "yard". When it rains of course I have silt running down the yard. I don't have a lot of sun for extended periods but it looks great when moss cover comes in the spring but doesn't stay.

I figured I could get a few loads of too soil, throw or mix some type of mix of grass seed, and hopefully have something to look forward to next year.

So my question is... What would you do to get some type of ground cover.?

A couple landscapes wanted to cover with wood chips but wouldn't help with me blowing leaves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, keane, ky_shawn and 1 others like this.
    1025r FILB, 47" Snowblower, Front Blade, Quick Hitch

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCE View Post
    So I've finally removed alot of trees causing harm to the house. But I'd like to grow grass or some type of ground cover in my wooded "yard". When it rains of course I have silt running down the yard. I don't have a lot of sun for extended periods but it looks great when moss cover comes in the spring but doesn't stay.

I figured I could get a few loads of too soil, throw or mix some type of mix of grass seed, and hopefully have something to look forward to next year.

So my question is... What would you do to get some type of ground cover.?

A couple landscapes wanted to cover with wood chips but wouldn't help with me blowing leaves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    A friend of mine built a new house in the middle of the woods and proved everyone wrong. It took him about 5 years of reseeding patches here and there but he now has a beautiful yard. Unsure what he used but knowing him it was just shade/partial sun grass seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JamesCE and ky_shawn like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Thanks

Apply the Basics

I can't say I know anything about your particular soil. I've also got bare patches. I am applying all of the time-proven approaches to improving grass. I am slowly seeing progress.

For all the grass areas (where I want grass) I'm aerating twice a year and de-thatching twice a year. Fertilizer 3 times a year. Twice in the spring and once in the fall. I can see bare patches shrinking from this approach. The neighboring grass clumps are healthier and expanding. The ride is not as rough when driving the tractor.

For maximum impact, I time my aerating right after a good storm. Wait long enough so that you're not working in mud, but get the extra penetration from the soil being moist. I try to fertilize right before a major storm. I fertilize after I aerate so that the fertilizer gets down into the holes. I can see it going in there as I fertilize. Aligning the work schedule with the weather is a pain.

Acidic areas (due to pine trees) will be getting lime and cultivation to mix it in. I'll also add compost at the same time. I'll give everything some time to mix before I put in grass seed.

I bought a small (8") cultivator to break up the soil in the bare patches. Grass won't grow in compacted soil. I'll be mixing in compost and grass seed. Timing this for the spring when there will be the most water from precipitation.

I bought a small dual watering timer for hoses that will help out selected patches when the new grass is just coming in. Can't always count on rain for support once it gets started.

I have some areas with too many rocks or gravel. I tried filtering out the gravel, but it was a lot of work and not very successful. My new plan is to dig out the soil in these areas and replace it with good soil, compost, and grass seed. I've picked up many buckets full of rocks. When I rake for de-thatching, I always bring up more. This is a slow battle, but I'm seeing progress.

Most of my soil is somewhat alkaline. The tall fescue grass in the non-irrigated areas doesn't seem to mind. But my small areas of Kentucky blue grass don't thrive in this kind of soil, even when irrigated. Here I use an acid-based fertilizer at least once a year to help neutralize this soil. The Kentucky blue grass responds very well to this fertilizer.

I've learned that if you must grow grass without irrigation (depending on rain/snow), you can put the seed in the ground at any time and it will know when the conditions are right for it to sprout. I've seen grass come up 2 years after I planted it.

Having nice grass where you want it is an ongoing battle and a lot of work. But there is a lot of satisfaction as you see progress.
    mark02tj, JamesCE, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements