• 2 Post By Dedge522
  • 3 Post By Stablenickers

Thread: Lawn Recommendations?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Thanks

Lawn Recommendations?

So I just removed 5 trees from my backyard and moved the shed from the middle of the yard where the previous owner had it to the back edge of woods.

I need to regrade and seed the whole area. There is existing grass all around but I figure I will just do the whole backyard grass area, it is only about .25 acres worth of grass behind the pool and before the woods.

I am thinking to till it first since there are some high and low spots, not bad but enough it rocks the 1025 and can scalp with mower depending on angle of approach. Then rent a Harley Rake and put down seed and roll it. What are your thoughts?

Should I do this now since it is late in the season or just wait until spring?

Or just do the grading work now and then seed in spring?

Any ideas or advice are helpful when it comes to grass I have no idea. I live in Yorktown, VA close to the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    2017 1025r
    120R Loader, 54D MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Front Hoe Bucket.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Where I live I would wait. If I did the grading now I would just have mud, then frozen mud all winter, then more mud in the spring. It would dry out quicker in the spring if I let it be then could start on the grading and be able to seed/mulch right away.

A Harley Rake is certainly the proper tool but I doubt you would be able to run it with your 1-series. You would need to rent a skid steer along with it.

But with only a 1/4 acre you would do well enough with a tiller and rake I think.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Dedge522†(11-25-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Unsure what your normal winters are like, I know up here you can't really reseed after the first frost. Depends on your winters, but what's the harm in waiting if you need too.
    coaltrain and Robnik like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

Dedge522†(11-25-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Where I live I would wait. If I did the grading now I would just have mud, then frozen mud all winter, then more mud in the spring. It would dry out quicker in the spring if I let it be then could start on the grading and be able to seed/mulch right away.

A Harley Rake is certainly the proper tool but I doubt you would be able to run it with your 1-series. You would need to rent a skid steer along with it.

But with only a 1/4 acre you would do well enough with a tiller and rake I think.
    Thanks coaltrain, I donít think I would have that much issue with mud here, only get a few snow storms a year and they melt pretty quick. I was thinking the time for the top soil to settle over winter would be good but Iím no expert. But it is a good point.

I called the local sunbelt that rents the Harley Rake and the rental manager thinks I should have no issues with Harley Rake as long as I till it first. I am still worried like you said that it wonít be able to handle it. So we will see, itís only $79 to rent for the day so I might give it a shot. Still undecided.

2017 1025r
    120R Loader, 54D MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Front Hoe Bucket.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-20-2018 @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedge522 View Post
    So I just removed 5 trees from my backyard and moved the shed from the middle of the yard where the previous owner had it to the back edge of woods.

I need to regrade and seed the whole area. There is existing grass all around but I figure I will just do the whole backyard grass area, it is only about .25 acres worth of grass behind the pool and before the woods.

I am thinking to till it first since there are some high and low spots, not bad but enough it rocks the 1025 and can scalp with mower depending on angle of approach. Then rent a Harley Rake and put down seed and roll it. What are your thoughts?

Should I do this now since it is late in the season or just wait until spring?

Or just do the grading work now and then seed in spring?

Any ideas or advice are helpful when it comes to grass I have no idea. I live in Yorktown, VA close to the water.

Hey there, Dedge. Iím fashionably late to this thread but whether or not to do it now also depends upon what kind of grass you plan to use. Cool season grasses (fescue, here in NC) might be just fine still. In fact, thereís an old superstition about throwing grass seed out on top of first snow to get the very best stand. A golf course superintendent buddy taught me that trick. If you are planting a warm season grass (like Bermuda), you should probably wait till spring.
    Levi, PJR832 and Dedge522 like this.
    Jen

ZTrack Z915B
    2016 4052R with H165 loader
    iMatch hitch, Frontier box scrape, 6' disc harrow, 4' alternating tine aerator
    55 gal sprayer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stablenickers For This Useful Post:

Dedge522†(12-21-2017)

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements