Green Tractor Talk banner

Gas Powered Pole Saws.

6K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Gizmo2 
#1 ·
Any comments bad or good on gas powered pole saws for trimming trees? Brand?
Anyone use a hydraulic pole chainsaws using your tractor for the hydraulics?

#3 ·
I have a Husquvarna string trimmer that will take attachments. I bought a Pole Saw ad on, real cheap one at Lowes called a "Trimmer Plus" It's an eight inch chain. You woulden't believe the stuff I've cut down with that little thing. It's still going. I paid around $100. for it. I replace the sprocket on it for about $9.00 after cutting down piles of branches as seven inches thick. I also owe it to the Husquvarna trimmer being able to stand up to the abuse. If that little saw quits tomorrow, I would get another. Not often you can buy a cheap piece of junk tool & have a pleasant surprise with it. :good2:

#4 ·
I have the Stihl KM130r Kombi unit and have the pole saw and an extra extension. The thing is a beast with the 4 mix engine, it cuts as fast as my little 017 Stihl chain saw.

Reactions: vettepilot427
#6 ·
Kombi for me too.

I also have the extension.

I think it depends how much you use it. A dedicated pole saw might be best for professionals but for a homeowner a Kombi is perfect. Even for a lot of use.

#7 ·
Unless There's a bunch of twisted up storm trees that need to be snipped from a distance, or it's a 10"+ limb, I wont bother with the power pole saw.

They are awkward, heavy, and slow compared to a good manual pole saw.

When trimming the edge of a field for harvester clearance, I might have a couple hundred cuts to make. By 30, the Husqvarna is fighting me
Our Structron and Sily pole saws just take 4-5 slices to get through a 6" Maple, so why fight the weight?

Any time I have used the power pole saws, there are always a bunch of little branches to snip to get to what justifies using the power saw.
It's the little stuff that makes the things a pain. One Jab with the Silky and they drop without folding out of the way. ;)

#8 ·
I had a cheap Poulan, paid for itself with the first job. I had a 8" limb hanging over the house, started from the roof cutting off pieces, then by standing on the seat & rear tire of my 1958 JD 520 until it was down. Tree wound has healed nicely by now! Used the saw for some time until it started turning at the shaft connection, hammer & anvil took care of that problem for a while, now the engine doesn't run anymore! I have a good 16' hand pole pruner with fiberglass pole that does what I need now.

I'm waiting to see what Core Outdoor Power comes up with: Products – Core Outdoor Power

I have one of their trimmers w/2 batteries, a pole pruner that uses the same batteries would be nice! ~~ Lowell

#9 ·
I just have the Fiskars manual pole saw. Anything bigger than 2" I grab my recip saw with a 12" pruning blade. I get the chain saw out if I need to, but that thing and I have a love hate relationship. I hate to use it and it loves to not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Yet another Stihl Kombi here. I bought mine mainly to reach out into my juniper bushes and cut the larger branches the Kombi hedge trimmer won't do. Using the extension with the tool in the horizontal position makes me wish I was 10 years younger, but it really is handy and quick. Last spring I cut a bunch of ex-neighbor's bordering hemlocks and it really will cut 8" thick branches with ease. Makes short work of the final branch collar cut, nice and smooth.

#11 ·
I bought a Black and Decker 18 volt pole saw from Amazon that works pretty well, has an extension you can put in the center for longer reach. But since you mentioned gas, I have a regular Remington pole saw that plugs in to AC, I use it with a little gas-powered Honda generator that I just throw in the ATV or FEL when I have more to do than I think the B&D battery will hold out for.

#19 ·
I bought a Black and Decker 18 volt pole saw from Amazon that works pretty well, has an extension you can put in the center for longer reach.
I have the 18V B&D pole saw as well and I am simply amazed at the jobs this thing will handle. I have two batteries which is enough to do any job I may choose to tackle. Last year I used it to trim up three large pine tress and it cut everything I threw at it. I had a 5x10 ft. landscape trailer piled 5 feet high with the limbs I cut.

For a somewhat inexpensive battery powered pole saw it is a very impressive unit.

#12 ·
I got an Echo PAS - 225 which is a combo type unit. It has pole saw, 3'? extension, blower, string trimmer, blade cutter, hedge trimmer attachments. I love it, I got it based on the recommendation of my small engine shop as the owner has the same machine at home. It is 3 years old, I dont recall but with all those attachments I estimate maybe $6-700? IDK. But it is a good machine.

BTW, safety note. At the auction one day this guy was inspecting a plug-in pole saw. He had it leaning up against his neck, well, it started when he plugged it in, and it fell and dang near cut his throat. A close one.

#13 ·
Yep, you all just made my search a whole lot more difficult. Thanks, I do appreciate it and it is exactly what I wanted.:thumbup1gif:

****Dingeryote, A lot of truth to your post. I got focused on a gas pole saw and forget about all the problems with using them. Which Silky do you have?

****spferdil, I also have a Remington pole saw that plugs in to AC. The thing works fine but is heavy when extended and moving our generator around with it just isn't working for me any more.

I like the Kombi set up but don't think the reach is far enough.

I will be using it mostly to trim the pasture lines. My wife drives me around with the tractor while I am up in the cage on the FEL arms.

#14 ·
I bought a Stihl HT131 (extendable pole saw) before I bought into the Kombi system. The HT131 saw is awesome, but it is probably my worst Stihl purchase decision, especially for what I wanted it for. I didn't look into the Kombi pole saw when I bought my Kombi motor, because I already have the HT131 and I assume that unit is heavy too, and I think it is shorter than the HT131.

The HT131 cuts really fast, but the saw is too heavy and too short for me. It only extends about 15 feet, and the further you get away from vertical, the weight increases rapidly, especially at full extension. I read there is a harness I can get to distribute the weight off my arms and onto my shoulders, but that was getting too complicated. I even tried using the saw while standing on a short ladder, :crazy: not a good idea ... the pole saw is supposed to keep me on the ground in the first place.

I bought a Silky Hayauchi pole saw a few years ago, I chose the long 3 section version, and it extends about 21 feet. That saw is awesome, especially for limbs up to the 6-8 inch range. I've cut larger limbs with it fully extended and even used it on a ladder (still crazy :crazy:), it can give my arms a good workout, but I got the limbs cut. I considered the Silky Hayate, about 6" shorter and 50% more money. I don't remember, but the hayate may be a little lighter weight.

Since I bought the Hayauchi, I use it about 10 times more than the Stihl HT131. If I get around to it, I'll probably sell my Stihl.

But it depends on what you want a pole saw for, the size and height of the branches you want to cut. The best scenario is like my situation, have one of each :laugh: (or know someone who has both)

Just my 2 cents.

#15 ·
The Kombi with extension is about as long as I would want. If it was any longer the extended weight at an angle would be too much to handle unless you were cutting directly under the branch.

But the most important thing about the kombi to me is the 4 cycle (hybrid) powerplant. It always runs which is partly from the fact it gets more use and doesn't sit between jobs because I use it for more functions. Any two cycle tool I have that gets occasional use never runs right and I have to mess with it after extended sitting.

I have the blower, weed whacker with brush blade, blower, extension, pole saw and mini cultivator. So it never sits too long.

And its quiet.

Reactions: Gizmo2
#16 · (Edited)
I have a Stihl KM130 Combi with string trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer and shaft extension attachments. It's a powerful tool that starts easily every time. It is a bit on the heavy side and I tend to have some lower back discomfort when using the string trimmer for a while. I really like the pole saw feature but with an extension in place it's a bit of a heavy handful. Does the job though!!

#17 ·
Ok, although not gas powered I just ordered the Silky HAYAUCHI 21-ft Pole Saw, 3-extension (XL teeth).
I guess you all opened my eyes as to what I really wanted/needed and probably save me a bunch of money.
I knew I could count on all of you! Thanks.

Keith

#23 ·
Ok, although not gas powered I just ordered the Silky HAYAUCHI 21-ft Pole Saw, 3-extension (XL teeth).
I guess you all opened my eyes as to what I really wanted/needed and probably save me a bunch of money.
I knew I could count on all of you! Thanks.
Keith
That is a great manual pole saw!! I really like mine. Obviously it doesn't cut as fast as a gas powered pole saw, but much more reach and more manageable weight.

Maybe manual is cost efficient, but I actually get excited to feel the torque of a KM 130 R!
Yeah, the gas powered pole saws do cut awesome, but you are really limited to how high you can cut. You are right though, everything it can reach is toast. :laugh: ... actually sawdust ...

Just my 2 cents.

#26 ·
While he bought it, his wife will end up the one using it........:laugh:

Reactions: DRobinson
#29 ·
I really wanted the higher reach and I think I was only kidding myself that I could handle the weight of the gas powered unit out that far. My electric Remington goes out I think 12ft and is really tough on me any more.
How much are bucket trucks going for these days?:lol:

Reactions: rgd
#30 ·
I'm a little late to this party, but thought I would weigh in.

I'm a Stihl Kombi fan also. I have the string trimmer attachment, pole saw, brush cutter, cultivator (mini tiller), and 4' extension pole. I have the KM130 power head. The beauty of the system is that I can trim the yard, switch attachments and cut the property line, and switch again and trim the trees, all with the same power head. It's especially nice when I'm working on our hunting leases since I made a carrier that mounts to the ATV rack to carry the power head and attachments. Being able to take the tool apart really makes it compact to carry the system. If you've ever carried a full size trimmer or pole saw on an ATV you know how you can feel like a knight in a jousting contest toting a lance. I've had the power head for going on 4 years now and it still cranks and runs perfectly. I'm also a fan of draining the gas in the off season and using a high quality synthetic mix oil that contains fuel stabilizers.

As far as power pole saws, they can get heavy after a while, especially with the extension. However, I find that I get as much use on the ground as I do overhead. They are especially nice when limbing/cutting prickly trees and shrubs like locust, holly, or pin oak. They're also nice when limbing a downed tree since you can maintain a comfortable working distance away from the tree and still have the cutting performance of a small chainsaw (especially with a tree covered in poison ivy). One of the tricks to running a power pole saw is to cut sections off of big limbs instead of the whole limb at once. Also, an under cut and then a finish cut from the top with a slight offset gives good results and "usually" prevents pinching and allows the limb to fall in a controlled way. I've actually cut limbs that were large enough to need a V-notch undercut in order to allow the limb to swing down enough for the saw to clear.

As far as bucket trucks go, I don't have one of those, but I do use my M923 military truck as a 5' high working platform. I can work from the bed and have the sides for safety and if I hold my mouth right, I can usually get lucky and have the limbs fall in the bed of the truck so I don't have to pick them up off the ground.:thumbup1gif:

#31 ·
They're also nice when limbing a downed tree since you can maintain a comfortable working distance away from the tree and still have the cutting performance of a small chainsaw
You don't have to bend over either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.