• 5 Post By TJR345
  • 2 Post By kevin37b

Thread: How to drain clay soil

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks

How to drain clay soil

All, my property has significant clay content - when it rains it turns to soup and obviously is a ton of fun to drive a 1025R on when it get wet.

I have some areas that pool water after the lightest rain and I'm going to install french drains for them - not sure if I'll do a dry well at the end of the drains

What tips do you all have for how to get my property to drain appropriately given my significant clay burden? I've been told by arborists that the excess moisture is killing the trees on it. It's about 3 acres.
    bvbearcat and rw580 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 11:02 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jermedic View Post
    All, my property has significant clay content - when it rains it turns to soup and obviously is a ton of fun to drive a 1025R on when it get wet.

I have some areas that pool water after the lightest rain and I'm going to install french drains for them - not sure if I'll do a dry well at the end of the drains

What tips do you all have for how to get my property to drain appropriately given my significant clay burden? I've been told by arborists that the excess moisture is killing the trees on it. It's about 3 acres.
    You do have a couple options. We deal with this in development all the time in central OH. The cheapest by far is trying to grade some swales from your problem spots. This isn't too bad if you have some elevation to work with, just takes time and some reseeding.

If your land is pretty flat, you can try french drains. If you don't have a good place to outlet them, you're going to have to use drywells too.

Just a word of warning, in Ohio it's against the law to divert drainage from your property to another's if it doesn't naturally drain there.
    etcallhome, flyweight and rw580 like this.
    2017 2032R (Gen2)
    FEL (220r) w/57" Bucket and 48" forks
    60D AutoConnect MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:46 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bvbearcat View Post
    You do have a couple options. We deal with this in development all the time in central OH. The cheapest by far is trying to grade some swales from your problem spots. This isn't too bad if you have some elevation to work with, just takes time and some reseeding.

If your land is pretty flat, you can try french drains. If you don't have a good place to outlet them, you're going to have to use drywells too.

Just a word of warning, in Ohio it's against the law to divert drainage from your property to another's if it doesn't naturally drain there.
    I wished WV had that law. My neighbor drives me crazy with his digging his property up that is on a hill and now ALL of his mud/water drains to my farm. I am going to have to install a French drain/drywell to end my problem.
    etcallhome and rw580 like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 11:02 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    I wished WV had that law. My neighbor drives me crazy with his digging his property up that is on a hill and now ALL of his mud/water drains to my farm. I am going to have to install a French drain/drywell to end my problem.
    A couple things to look into,
    • Does your area have Soil and Water Conservation District? They have a lot of pull around here, especially if someone is a detriment to a farmer
    • If it really bothers you (and you're not worried about retaliation) you could get the EPA involved. Again, Ohio EPA would be all over him if they got a call about that, we get it for construction sites all the time. Does WV EPA have any sort of presence?

Just a few thoughts, troublesome neighbors are a giant PITA.
    2017 2032R (Gen2)
    FEL (220r) w/57" Bucket and 48" forks
    60D AutoConnect MMM

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    Central Ohioian here with a wet lot...

French drains can be your best friend!!! Not a 100% cure, but properly sized and installed they have helped me manage lots of water issues on my flat property WITHOUT transferring the problem to a neighbor.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ColonyPark, bvbearcat and rw580 like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-19-2019 @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemoore98 View Post
    Central Ohioian here with a wet lot...

French drains can be your best friend!!! Not a 100% cure, but properly sized and installed they have helped me manage lots of water issues on my flat property WITHOUT transferring the problem to a neighbor.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had the same problem Billie, but NY is a common enemy state. So, water is a common enemy to all and itís up to you to deal with it.

So with my 12Ē of beautiful rock free topsoil, then nothing but clay, I went the French drain route. As firemoore states, it had done wonders. There are more areas I could drain, but as long as the 1026R can mow it and not need MFWD, or leave tire marks, Iím good.
    flyweight, bvbearcat and rw580 like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:46 AM
    Thanks
    • Does your area have Soil and Water Conservation District? They have a lot of pull around here, especially if someone is a detriment to a farmer
    • If it really bothers you (and you're not worried about retaliation) you could get the EPA involved. Again, Ohio EPA would be all over him if they got a call about that, we get it for construction sites all the time. Does WV EPA have any sort of presence?

Yep, got the EPA, county engineers, and the Maryland Potomac Water Shed which BTW is the EPA involved since my stream drains into the Potomac River, they washed their hands of it. WV/County laws don't give you much to lean on. So I took it into my own hands. I currently dug a 3' wide by 4' deep trench along the edge of my property. That helped with the mud sediment. Pissed my neighbor off since it is in the front of his house, but on my property, but I do not care at this point, I told him three times in as many months to fix the problem or I would. In the next few months I plan on digging a larger hole 8' wide X 4' deep to make a French drain and drywell, then dig a drain down to and in front of my equipment shed. In front of the shed I plan on digging down 4' making a French drain field with piping and large gravel to have any excess drain down across my field into the stream. By that time the water should be clear run off water. I get a chance I show you a picture of what I am dealing with.
    Last edited by BillieS; 12-21-2017 at 05:51 AM.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Thanks

Being a farmer check into the AG and market (FEDERAL) they have a lot of pull.
    rw580 likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Thanks
    I have clay soil also and here's what I did.First you need to aerate your lawn.This helps the roots of the grass get deeper and thicker.During the growing season more roots need more water and this help in drying the lawn.Next drain your low areas.I added drain tile in low sections that the water is pitched to.I just used surface drains.Don't have the tile too shallow,the mice will use it as a highway and chew openings like where the french drains are.I don't recommend the the black flex pipe.Go with the SDR 35.I used the triple wall pipe for mine due to I got it cheap from a leftover job and they didn't want to return it.
    Here are a few picks of the job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1486.jpg IMG_1487.jpg IMG_1491.jpg
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller