Questions about controling Mosquitos on the farm or acreage
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Questions about controling Mosquitos on the farm or acreage

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:28 AM
    Thanks

I am hosting my daughters wedding in mid August. I figured someone here would have some incite into the best way to control them before the big tent and the people show up. First of all the layout, I have 6 acres of which is grass and a body of water. Should I use a mosquito trap using propane? and if so which one, or should I spray the acreage with a liquid product like mosquito Barrier and spray the acreage weeks before. Let me know your thoughts so I can get on it now

Thanks, looking forward to the results
    Brett

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    Spray the entire acreage with Malathion in the evening before. It's what cities spray from the air. It's safe and effective for killing adult mosquitoes. Do you know any crop dusters?
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    Tempo and Asana are also options. We typically use Tempo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    --DeereNC

2025R, 62D MMM, H130 FEL, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks, Bxpanded Tooth Bar, more to come...
    Implements: Woods TS52 tiller

Stihl MS261C worked over by Mastermind Work Saws, FS45C
    Dolmar PS3410TH
    Redmax EBZ8500RH

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    If you are not trying to cover the entire 6 acres, a 5% citronella spray can be used the night before. can get it in a RTU hose end spray container. It will also repel wasps, chiggers, and other annoying insects.

Congrats on the wedding. I hope you are getting a great son in law!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    03-22-2019 @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    Congratulations!!! I like home weddings that way. My wife and I got married at my parents place. Save a lot of money and the wedding came out great! I could not have paid a lot of money for a better venue.

As for the mosquitos I am not sure. I always sit there and get eaten up at our place.
    Kenny
    0331 88-92 USMC Ret.
    1025R FILB; 50" FEL Bucket with 3 Ken's Bolt On Hooks, Bucket Mounted Receiver and 1 Shackle Mount; psrumors Seat Springs; 12" BH Bucket; Box Blade; 48" Rotary Cutter; 48" Tiller; Omi Manufacturing Transformer Hitch w/Weight Rack; Artillian Forks, BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar, and More to come as I can beg it out of my wife!
    Also: Ford 9n, Massy Ferguson 231 & 231s, Zeter 7711 and a Mahindra 3525

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks
    Nuke it 3 days before with Malthion.

Why 3 days?

Malthion stinks for two days, and brides tend to have hissy fits over small details like that.

Mow everything down to the nubbins the day before you spray, to keep survivors to a min.

Malthion has a real short REI, shorter than most pyrethoids and the knockdown is about equal.
    Where Malthion has an advantage is control 3-4 days after application and in the heat, and at least here it's cheaper.

Pyrethoids are hard on pond critters. If you go that route, absolutely avoid ANY drift toward the pond...not one tiny whif, or the fish will float belly up the next day.

An alternative is either Pyganic or "Evergreen" Pyrethrum based insecticides the day before.
    They both have an impressive immediate knockdown, but thier effectiveness fades in 2 days or so.
    They are OMRI listed and expensive, but if "Organic" is an issue politically, they do work...sort of.

Good luck and congrats!
    Last edited by Dingeryote; 07-23-2014 at 11:38 PM.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    Malathion does stink for a couple days. Those of us with strong noses can pick up such a scent like a bloodhound. I would spray early if using that stuff.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks

You can get BTI at most stores, but I would recommend getting your hands on Altosid XR. This is what we received a couple years ago for a West Nile breakout. It is not a pesticide and only affects a few breeds of Mosquitos that carry the viruses. You do have to have a Vector Control License to use it in most states but I am sure you could find someone to help out. The tablets only work when they get wet and if they dry out they go dormant. Essentially, these will stop the larvae from maturing, works for 180 days.

These would go into your ponds, start using them right away. Won't harm the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KD7CAO; 07-26-2014 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Stupid iPhone.
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

11. Top | #9
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    When young....I remember riding my bicycle behind the mosquito fogger truck. He would go up and down each street in the neighborhood . I am not sure, but more than likely he was fogging with ddt.

Now that I relayed that tidbit of useless info....I'll get down to my question

How would be the best way to spray ? Do I do like the street fogger of old and turn my nozzles up, so it fogs the area , or would it work with them spraying in the usual manner, pointing down?
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgd View Post
    When young....I remember riding my bicycle behind the mosquito fogger truck. He would go up and down each street in the neighborhood . I am not sure, but more than likely he was fogging with ddt.

Now that I relayed that tidbit of useless info....I'll get down to my question

How would be the best way to spray ? Do I do like the street fogger of old and turn my nozzles up, so it fogs the area , or would it work with them spraying in the usual manner, pointing down?
    Mow everything and apply to the cut grass at label rates.

Then fire up the wand and go after the perimeter, trees and bushes. Undersides of leaves is where the little vampires hang out in daylight, so show the love.

Unless you have a fan sprayer or true fogger, you aren't going to get airborne knockdown, and need to get them where they land and shelter.
    2-3 days of getting nuked whenever they land in your AO, will drasticly reduce the numbers, but more will blow in after several days.
    It's a Temp relief thing, not a cure.

Good luck!!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast