Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree400Likes

Thread: Timber's Timber Sale

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

Timber's Timber Sale

Doctored up the last update I got from my forester (Al), so it's got the old access route still laid out in it. I think the new landing will be in the left-most "optional" area (what I really want clear cut, but Al is reluctant to mark as such because the stand might be super thin when the oaks are all that's left down there).

The new access is the black/purple arrow on the North boundary.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Timber map 12-17.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	295.1 KB 
ID:	517538

I also want a meandering trail cut around the Southern edge of the property from the clear cut on the West over to the South end of the rifle range. My hopes would be to have some grouse, tree rat, and bunny hunting down there - in addition to promoting deer travel on known corridors surrounding what will end up various food sources (the big bucks bed on the ridge about 400' South of my South lot line). Al doesn't like crowding the sale documents and says it's easier to just tell the cutter what you want when they're present and have them bang it out vs trying to map it into the contract. Al's main thing is getting enough acreage on the sale to interest the buyers and then work out the fine points when they're cutting. That's also why my rifle range hasn't been laid out on the contract. It'll get done when they're there, but it's not on anyone's paper as being a rifle range for a few reasons.

"Clear Cut with reserves": is where red and white oak, and possibly maple - which are straight and single stems will be "off limits". So what we really have is a select cut only we're going down to the dirt with everything we're not leaving. My neighbor with a sugar shack is trying to buy up the other parcels on my block for more sap trees, so I'm thinking we're going to leave more maple to open the possibility of selling sap to him in the future.

Feel free to ask questions. I'll post updates and pics here as things progress.

We're going to have the "sit down" meeting with the logger next week, and boots on the ground in short order after that.
    Bubber, Levi, OxPath and 9 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Timber For This Useful Post:

JDSwan87 (12-27-2017), Jep (12-31-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Subscribing - looking forward to following along.
    BigJim55 and Jim Timber like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Ground marking

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    Doctored up the last update I got from my forester (Al), so it's got the old access route still laid out in it. I think the new landing will be in the left-most "optional" area (what I really want clear cut, but Al is reluctant to mark as such because the stand might be super thin when the oaks are all that's left down there).

The new access is the black/purple arrow on the North boundary.

Name:	Timber map 12-17.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	295.1 KB 
ID:	517538

I also want a meandering trail cut around the Southern edge of the property from the clear cut on the West over to the South end of the rifle range. My hopes would be to have some grouse, tree rat, and bunny hunting down there - in addition to promoting deer travel on known corridors surrounding what will end up various food sources (the big bucks bed on the ridge about 400' South of my South lot line). Al doesn't like crowding the sale documents and says it's easier to just tell the cutter what you want when they're present and have them bang it out vs trying to map it into the contract. Al's main thing is getting enough acreage on the sale to interest the buyers and then work out the fine points when they're cutting. That's also why my rifle range hasn't been laid out on the contract. It'll get done when they're there, but it's not on anyone's paper as being a rifle range for a few reasons.

"Clear Cut with reserves": is where red and white oak, and possibly maple - which are straight and single stems will be "off limits". So what we really have is a select cut only we're going down to the dirt with everything we're not leaving. My neighbor with a sugar shack is trying to buy up the other parcels on my block for more sap trees, so I'm thinking we're going to leave more maple to open the possibility of selling sap to him in the future.

Feel free to ask questions. I'll post updates and pics here as things progress.

We're going to have the "sit down" meeting with the logger next week, and boots on the ground in short order after that.
    One way to handle the various reserve areas is to denote (paint) them on the ground and just have the contract say cutting will be in accordance with the ground marking. You already have the map so unless the boundary marking is a cost issue, it's not hard to do.

Good luck. That's a different sale than a pure clear cut which are straightforward.

Treefarmer
    Levi, BigJim55 and bvbearcat like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Al's got all the boundaries painted for the stuff included in the sale, and we did the North 40 work together then he came back and did the South 40 work on his own. The S40 is a poorly regenerating stand, so his concern is that rather than having a middle block surrounded by clear cuts, I'll have a middle clear cut and would regret losing more trees.

The trails that are marked are existing and are clearly visible in the woods. I'll be adding a couple that aren't on the above pic, and we may decide to add another once we determine what happens in the house site. I want to be able to have a semi truck and trailer drive in and drive out without having to back up at all.

The line denoting the selective harvest on the NW corner (most of the upper half of the property) follows a ridge line, which also follows the aspen pretty closely (there's some that are further East up there, but the West side is the big stand). There's going to be a lot of wood coming off that ridge!

The aspen in the S40 is more concentrated in the area just inside the South lot line on the SW corner (the outside edge of my trail) and that was cut-over to provide bedding a few years ago. I'm keeping the loggers out of there to preserve the existing habitat. Much of the stand towards the middle of that block is scrubby oak and BIG basswoods. I'm not going for a monoculture anywhere (quite the opposite - I want to introduce prairie grasses and forbs to ground which sees no sun), but I do have a "hit list" of non-invasives that I'm fine with exterminating from the landscape. If we get aspen regen, it won't hurt my feelings; but I'd be fine with wiping them out too.

I'll be on-site as will Al when cutting happens, so between us and the painted lines - we'll get it done right.
    Levi, BigJim55, Treefarmer and 1 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Timber For This Useful Post:

jimcantrell81$ (07-21-2018)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Wish I was closer

Al's got all the boundaries painted for the stuff included in the sale, and we did the North 40 work together then he came back and did the South 40 work on his own. The S40 is a poorly regenerating stand, so his concern is that rather than having a middle block surrounded by clear cuts, I'll have a middle clear cut and would regret losing more trees.

The trails that are marked are existing and are clearly visible in the woods. I'll be adding a couple that aren't on the above pic, and we may decide to add another once we determine what happens in the house site. I want to be able to have a semi truck and trailer drive in and drive out without having to back up at all.

The line denoting the selective harvest on the NW corner (most of the upper half of the property) follows a ridge line, which also follows the aspen pretty closely (there's some that are further East up there, but the West side is the big stand). There's going to be a lot of wood coming off that ridge!

The aspen in the S40 is more concentrated in the area just inside the South lot line on the SW corner (the outside edge of my trail) and that was cut-over to provide bedding a few years ago. I'm keeping the loggers out of there to preserve the existing habitat. Much of the stand towards the middle of that block is scrubby oak and BIG basswoods. I'm not going for a monoculture anywhere (quite the opposite - I want to introduce prairie grasses and forbs to ground which sees no sun), but I do have a "hit list" of non-invasives that I'm fine with exterminating from the landscape. If we get aspen regen, it won't hurt my feelings; but I'd be fine with wiping them out too.

I'll be on-site as will Al when cutting happens, so between us and the painted lines - we'll get it done right.
    I wish I was closer and could come "inspect". It's a different habitat than we have and I know I could learn from seeing what you are doing. Besides that, it's just fun watching a plan come together.

Good luck- enjoy the process as well as the proceeds.

Treefarmer
    Levi, BigJim55, Jim Timber and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm almost giddy, I'm so excited this work is getting done! It's not about the money (I definitely need the money, but that's not why we're cutting), it's about getting things put how I want them.

As the old saying goes: the best time to plant a tree was 10 years ago, but the next best is today. I've planted 1K trees over the past 7 years, and they're stunted and starving for light. We're going to fix that!
    rydplrs, Levi, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I'm almost giddy, I'm so excited this work is getting done! It's not about the money (I definitely need the money, but that's not why we're cutting), it's about getting things put how I want them.

As the old saying goes: the best time to plant a tree was 10 years ago, but the next best is today. I've planted 1K trees over the past 7 years, and they're stunted and starving for light. We're going to fix that!
    You’re right - you are making your forest healthy. The money is a side benefit but very welcome of course!
    Levi and bvbearcat like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    A couple "before pics".

These are two of my draws. They all flow water in the spring.

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	519914

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	519922

Then this is my driveway inside the swamp the first day it became a trail. Funny to think how I once couldn't drive an atv through there without scratching up the paint back in 2011, and now it'll pass a semi tractor trailer rig.

Name:	050.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	519930
    Bubber, BigJim55, ky_shawn and 3 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    God does some good work up there too.

Name:	IMAG0008.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	519938

This overlooks some of what will be cut back to savanna.

Name:	IMAG0112.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	519946
    Bubber, BigJim55, keane and 2 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    At some point there was a fence out in the S40 or something. I have about 6 of these not all that close to my lot line spread over 1/4 mile. It's rebar that's been bent into a nice straight post of loops.

Name:	IMAG0203.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	519954

This is the old "ox cart trail" that was my 100yd rifle range for the past 6 years. The dozer will be run on the left side of this section to expand it for truck traffic and skidding. The right will be savanna, and the left will be some kind of "shelter wood" extensive harvest. I'm concerned about clear cutting it and what effect that might have on the spruce I'll be replanting with, and the oak/maple I'm keeping on the right.

Name:	IMAG0355.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	519962
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast