Best way to clear or smooth land with a 1025R?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Best way to clear or smooth land with a 1025R?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-27-2019 @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks

Best way to clear or smooth land with a 1025R?

after stump and brush removal, what does a guy use to further smooth the land? a rotary tiller or a box blade?
    I can post some pics later of the plot of land I am talking about
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thumbnail_20171230_160755_resized.jpg   thumbnail_20171230_160743_resized.jpg  
    Last edited by Niblet; 01-02-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Levi, Jim Timber, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    1025R, FEL, BH, 60" MMM
    Imatch, JD Suitcase weights
    2006 X300 w/ over 900hrs 38" Mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks

Details

Quote Originally Posted by Niblet View Post
    after stump and brush removal, what does a guy use to further smooth the land? a rotary tiller or a box blade?
    I can post some pics later of the plot of land I am talking about
    Not to be a smart. . . about it but how much land and what implements do you have?

If it's a lot of land, I would rent a bigger machine- probably a tracked skid steer or even a dozer.

If it's not much land but this is a one time deal, I would rent a box blade with rippers or a land leveler if possible. If you have a recurring need for land moving device, I'd probably figure out what the long term need is and buy that but rent anything else that you need for one job.

Box blade, land leveler, disk and FEL, rear blade all work. Some work better than others depending on the conditions. A tiller is great to loosen the dirt but you will likely still need to move it from high spots to fill in the stump holes. Same with a disk.

Can you give more detail?

Treefarmer
    Levi, Neb, Jim Timber and 4 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    02-27-2019 @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    yes sure, but its pretty limited to the cleared area in the photo,,,I'm doing a little at a time, no more than 1 acre total,
    I only have a FEL, and BH,,was looking into a tiller,,,
    Levi, Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    1025R, FEL, BH, 60" MMM
    Imatch, JD Suitcase weights
    2006 X300 w/ over 900hrs 38" Mower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    05-05-2019 @ 07:38 PM
    Thanks
    Rough it out with the backhoe and finish with the front loader bucket. Were only talking approx 212' x 212'. Too small to buy one use attachments. You have the mother lode, just apply. Besides you will get good seat time with the hoe which will improve your skills for future tasks. Good luck.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    05-01-2019 @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks

My vote is for a Box Blade

I had some hills from my geothermal loops that had settled and needed further smoothing. I got advice to try the FEL to smooth it out, and due to my inexperience or lack of patience, I was only making it worse, after several hours. I ended up ponying up a few bucks and buying a BB. I had that job done in 1/10th of the time it would have taken with FEL.

I purchased the Frontier BB5048L Box blade. I think I paid around 700 for it. It is well built and worked fantastically. I originally tried to find something on Craigslist cheaper, but I have no regrets. I debated on the BB2048L but it seemed to light and not as well constructed and it was basically the same price. The BB2048 was really expensive and I couldn't justify the cost for my use. The L stands for limited and is for use on Cat 0 machines like the 1025. I had to call around to several dealers to find it, and I ended up taking a drive about an hour away. Met a great guy out there and ended up buying my 54" QA snow blade that has seen use this year. Got a 2fer deal.

Quick note: I have a Harbour freight quick hitch, and I had to use a disk cutter to cut a small 1/2 square out of the guards by the Quick attach bushings to get it to work. It took about 5 minutes. After that it is easy on/easy off. I built a dolly out of scrap wood and cheap castors so I could move the BB around. I liked this BB over some others because it was heavier and seemed pretty well built. I had looked at TSC and Rural King first though, but apparently pricing is done regionally and my region had really high pricing. It was basically the same price for the Frontier.

Quick note 2: Using a box blade takes a little practice. Be prepared to adjust the "front and back arm" of the 3 point hitch a little to figure out how that works with leavelling. I picked it up pretty quick fortunately. Tilted back (arm extended) pulls dirt, tilted forward (arm screwed tightly) smooths. I read a few good threads on here before I started using it, and that made all the difference.

Good luck.
    2 Boys, a French bulldog and a Wife
    2016 John Deere 1025r TLB H120 Loader, JD260 backhoe, 54'' MMM quick attach
    KK 48 inch Rototiller (yellow)
    BB5048l Box blade (had to make some minor mods to work with harbor freight quick hitch)
    Harbor Freight Quick hitch
    54'' Quick Hitch Snow Plow
    Bed Frame pallet forks

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    01-02-2018 @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks
    Box Blade. I have a titan generic 48" and use it for a lot for cutting trails, clearing tiny meadows etc.
    In the picture (provided it uploaded) we cleared a meadow with the box blade moving and smoothing a lot of dirt. picture is after the fact as we were raking in the grass seed. The meadow started with a four foot pile of yard debris, dirt and trash including a section of sidewalk someone dumped on the property.

FEL is great for a lot of things but it doesn't dig well and it pivots with the tractor. Box blade is independent on the 3 pt which makes a huge difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 23270239_1548618825229651_8808008152189556777_o.jpg   26172803_1601640343260832_7970557969996029062_o.jpg  
    Last edited by JamesTWest; 01-02-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    Superglidesport, Levi, Neb and 3 others like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks

Start with what you have

Quote Originally Posted by agent blue View Post
    Rough it out with the backhoe and finish with the front loader bucket. Were only talking approx 212' x 212'. Too small to buy one use attachments. You have the mother lode, just apply. Besides you will get good seat time with the hoe which will improve your skills for future tasks. Good luck.
    I agree. You can at least get it in pretty reasonable shape with the BH and FEL. If you find that getting the final finish grade isn't working, then rent a box blade or land leveler.

That's a fun project unless you are on a deadline. You might want to really think through your finished plan because some of the hills and swales might be just right as they are.

Treefarmer
    Levi and Robnik like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    01-02-2018 @ 06:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Not to be a smart. . . about it but how much land and what implements do you have?

If it's a lot of land, I would rent a bigger machine- probably a tracked skid steer or even a dozer.

If it's not much land but this is a one time deal, I would rent a box blade with rippers or a land leveler if possible. If you have a recurring need for land moving device, I'd probably figure out what the long term need is and buy that but rent anything else that you need for one job.

Box blade, land leveler, disk and FEL, rear blade all work. Some work better than others depending on the conditions. A tiller is great to loosen the dirt but you will likely still need to move it from high spots to fill in the stump holes. Same with a disk.

Can you give more detail?

Treefarmer
    I agree. We cleared about 2 acres and rented a skid steer with a combo bucket. We ripped the stumps out of the ground, removed trees, releveled the area. It was a Terex PT-72 with an 84" combo bucket for $1300 (for 56 hours/7 days) Well worth it.
    Levi, Treefarmer and Robnik like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-21-2019 @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    I've had decent luck with my FEL (don't have a BH) and a landscape rake I got a deal on. I can get my stumps or what have you dug up, back-drag and work it a bit with the FEL, then go over it with the rake.

Since then I've added a disk, plow, and spring harrow (other items I got a deal on) I'll work with come spring.

Keep an eye on craigslist and local farm/home sales pages on FB or online. You can sometimes find an implement for a song.
    Levi and wentonbrown like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 02:12 AM
    Thanks
    Ditto on looking at Craigslist or FB for used implements. I went without a BB for six months (after I got the 5085E) and thought I wouldn’t need it, especially after I got the 318E skid steer. I have used skid steers extensively but it still can level like the bb can. In my opinion anyways. Yes, it can level but if the terrain is really rough, the bucket bounces all over. The tractor will as well (with the bb) but after a pass or two, it smooths out. And if you go in reverse first, it levels the terrain significantly. Just don’t go too quickly.

Sunbelt rents bbs for around $130/week around here. I bought my now sold 6’ King Kutter for around $500. And I sold it for $500...so I think I got my use out of it.

The added benefit of the bb is it can double as your ballast box if you don’t have one. Just add some weight to it. And once you have a bb, you will find many uses for it.

This is, of course, a biased opinion....
    Last edited by addy; 01-02-2018 at 09:09 PM.
    2016 5085E
    2014 318e
    2009 997
    1958 Fordson Dexta

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast