• 1 Post By Tim Benner
  • 1 Post By rustyshakelford

Thread: Bahai Grass pasture in Florida

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-17-2018 @ 07:29 AM
    Thanks

Bahai Grass pasture in Florida

I just bought a house with a few acres for horses. Horses are still boarded elsewhere, so I have some time for pasture maintenance and pasture upgrading. What advise can you give relative to increasing the density of the existing bahai grass and re-establishing bahai in pasture where the weeds have taken over?

What equipment should I buy, if any, for annual pasture maintenance? Just bought a John Deer 3046R, with heavy duty bush hog, finish mower, backhoe, front end loader, grapple, box blade, etc. - so I've got a start on equipment. Not sure what to buy for pasture maintenance though?
    Robnik likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    12-04-2018 @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Benner View Post
    I just bought a house with a few acres for horses. Horses are still boarded elsewhere, so I have some time for pasture maintenance and pasture upgrading. What advise can you give relative to increasing the density of the existing bahai grass and re-establishing bahai in pasture where the weeds have taken over?

What equipment should I buy, if any, for annual pasture maintenance? Just bought a John Deer 3046R, with heavy duty bush hog, finish mower, backhoe, front end loader, grapple, box blade, etc. - so I've got a start on equipment. Not sure what to buy for pasture maintenance though?
    I personally hate Bahia. Itís hard on shredder and mowers to cut. However, since you already have a pasture and itís hard to kill the stuff itís time to embrace it. When youíre wanting to bring the horses home is important due to the chemicals that should be applied. You have less grazing restrictions if you use something like a grazon type product. 2-4d will help kill the weeds. Bahia is pretty aggressive too and should thrive when the weeds stop fighting for sun and water. Also get a soil sample to your county extension office for eval on what and how much fertilizer needs to be applied.

Kill weeds and fertilizer should get you going in the right direction

Brett
    Robnik likes this.
    2017 5100E CAB H260
    ---FRONTIER BB4296
    ---MX15
    ---MX8
    ---EA 72" GRAPPLE

2017 KUBOTA ZD1211R
    2017 KUBOTA RTV-X1100C
    4K winch, 2Ēlift, 27s

GONE AND FORGOTTEN
    2013 AND 2014 5055E CAB H240

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome from Central Florida. Make sure you don't have any lantana growing in the bahia before you bring the horses home. Down here where we are it really tries to take over. The guy behind us lost 2 cows to it before he knew it was there. Good luck with the new place, it sounds like you have a good start on equipment. Beautiful area you are in, we always drive that way when we come home from a trip to costco.
    Last edited by Robnik; 01-02-2018 at 08:28 PM.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements