Has anyone here successfully killed large areas of Bermuda grass?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maddog

Thread: Has anyone here successfully killed large areas of Bermuda grass?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 09:21 AM
    Thanks

Has anyone here successfully killed large areas of Bermuda grass?

I won't mind the Bermuda grass in my yard if it wasn't so invasive, but it is so I want to be rid of it. I should have attacked the problem a long time ago before it got out of hand.

I've been doing a lot of reading about methods but would like to hear from any lawn experts on the problem. I've applied two applications of Bayer Bermuda grass "control" and I'm a little disappointed in how well it's working. I've probably got 3000 square feet in the front and 1500 square feet in the back of my house to deal with. I've only tried the Bayer in the front so far.

Another chemical I've seen but not tried is Gordons Ornamec 170 which some say works better than Bayer???

The best method in my opinion is solarization but I really don't want to do that on such a large area. Solarization is when you cover the area with clear plastic for about 6 weeks and it literally bakes the ground killing everything including the seeds.

What I have in the other parts of the yard is tall fescue which I like.
    Last edited by jimfrits; 08-09-2014 at 06:09 AM.
    2025R Gen II, 260B Backhoe, D120 Loader, 60" deck
    X754 All Wheel Steer with 60" deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:43 AM
    Thanks
    I wish you the best in that. I have never gotten rid of Bermuda. My only suggestion would be to go to a local golf course and ask if they have ever dealt with that problem. I know I've seen the courses have to spray the greens around here because of the Bermuda taking over.

Once again, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

4. Top | #3
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I can't help. I welcome the Bermuda, since it is drought tolerant and will return when a rain finally happens. The roots go very deep, so doubt the plastic will kill that far down.

Bermuda is sort of the eco friendly grass, IMO.

Now, if you want an invasive grass that you have to fight to control, find a way to control KR Bluestem over dozens of acres. I'm still trying to find the magic plan for that. It is beginning to take over hay fields and grazing pastures and nothing wants to eat it either, be it green, or baled.

I might add....If you find the way to control it over dozens of acres, you might be able to retire on the money you would make!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milharri View Post
    I wish you the best in that. I have never gotten rid of Bermuda. My only suggestion would be to go to a local golf course and ask if they have ever dealt with that problem. I know I've seen the courses have to spray the greens around here because of the Bermuda taking over.

Once again, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hear ya! Bermuda is very hard to kill, but I have read some success stories. I've also read a lot of failure stories also.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    I can't help. I welcome the Bermuda, since it is drought tolerant and will return when a rain finally happens. The roots go very deep, so doubt the plastic will kill that far down.

Bermuda is sort of the eco friendly grass, IMO................
    I actually like the Bermuda except for the invasive nature of it. It does form a thick carpet that withstands the hot weather. I have my downspouts routed underground and away from the house to divert the rain water to spots 30 to 40 feet from the house (in the front) and the Bermuda grows over the pop ups and I always have hard time finding them to clear them again.

The first house that my wife and I purchased back in 1968 had a small front yard (about 25 x 40 feet) and the yard was split straight down the 25 foot depth with Zoysia on one side and Bermuda on the other side. I watched those two grasses with interest to see which would take over the other. Will, after 6 years (we moved to another home) it was a draw. Neither grass advanced into the other's "turf".

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks
    Glyphosate at 5% with ammonium sulphate. Nuke the whole area and till/ re-seed after 3 weeks.

It will always come back unless you kill all the roots.

I gave up, and don't care if it takes over my whole lawn anymore, as long as it is green.

9. Top | #7
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Agree, glyphosate.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks
    My take on it- If its green, who cares. Better sometimes to just ignore the problem rather than spend hundreds to thousands on it. And you know darn well, that in the end Mother Nature will win out over your best efforts. But you can always join a golf corse club & dream of what could have been at home.
    Give up-Give in-Be Happy.
    farmgirl19 likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements