Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Hornets - They need to GO!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-28-2017 @ 03:57 PM
    Thanks

Hornets - They need to GO!

I've searched here for advice in old threads and didn't see much information so I'm going to ask; What's the best (safest) way to get rid of a hornets nest?

I was backing a borrowed skid loader under my shed roof due to some upcoming storms and heard a low humming noise after I shut it off. My first thought was yellowjackets, but I didn't see anything buzzing around. I kept searching until I discovered this nasty nest on the back side of the shed. And THEN I saw the buzzing around! About 4' from the ground I saw the nest. I took this photo a couple of hours later, after they had calmed down a bit.

If I wait until dark and hose the entrance with spray, do they have a "back door" they can sneak out of and get me? I thought about shooting some "Great Stuff" foam in the opening and then torching it, but I don't want to set my shed on fire either.

Anybody done this before?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hornets nest 8-14.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    05-02-2016 @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    night time all hornets go back to the nest until daylight. if you blast then you will get all of them!!!!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    12-28-2015 @ 05:28 PM
    Thanks
    I had a nest like that on the back of my boat (stored in yard) a couple of years ago. Being allergic to bees I called a local Beekeeper. He came over with a box and vacuum cleaner and vacuumed up the bees in a few minutes. I do not remember the cost but it was a very nominal fee. Beats fires , sprays and a lot of aggravation. Good luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Thanks
    Regular ol' Wasp & Hornet spray will do it. You might need 2 cans to saturate that one. After dark shouldn't be a problem.
    felixm22 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    I just had the exterminator out tog or yellow jackets yesterday. They found two places where the mortar had come out of the space between two blocks in the foundation. He used foaming termite spray to fill the cavities. He said it was most important to kill the queen and the nest. Any workers will die without a nest to come back to.

I like to use carb cleaner and brake cleaner to knock them out of the air. Even starting fluid is good to kill them. Any hornet or wasp spray will take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    One word:

OUTSOURCE

get someone else to kill 'em. $100 < cost of trip to emergency room. Otherwise, this is you 3 seconds before you this learn this the hard way:

You can also get a bee keeper suite, I know one person that did that.

- pete
    kraynky likes this.
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eepete View Post
    One word:

OUTSOURCE

get someone else to kill 'em. $100 < cost of trip to emergency room. Otherwise, this is you 3 seconds before you this learn this the hard way:

You can also get a bee keeper suite, I know one person that did that.

- pete
    LOL! That's pretty funny! We had stormy weather that last couple of evenings that stopped me from trying anything. I'm going to call around to get some pricing before I just start spraying them. I've never been stung by a hornet........and don't wan'na ever! I am slightly allergic to yellow jackets too. A few of them got on me years ago and I had to load up with Benadryl to get the swelling down. One hit me between my pinky and ring fingers and my whole forearm swelled up. (maybe a bit more than slightly allergic)

The foaming spray looks like it would kill anything trying to exit, thus my question wondering if they had a "back door" to those nests. I thought about just dumping a can of the foam in there and running........ But being in my mid 50's, I don't really run so fast anymore.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    12-30-2018 @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Had hornets make a nest in my soffit earlier this summer. I could not see the nest, only the entrance/exit point. Tried
    about 4 cans of spray, foaming, non-foaming with little success. Then I found a suggestion on the web to use carbaryl dust/powder.
    That is the active ingredient in the common pesticide Sevin. The article also talked about using a piece of plastic tubing
    filled with the powder and blown into the nest using an air compressor. I taped the tubing to my roof rake pole, about 9 feet long,
    filled it with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of powder and shot it into the hole with the compressor. Reloaded and hit it 2 more times.
    Next day saw 2 or 3 hornets but by the 4th day they were gone.
    kraynky likes this.
    Steve

John Deere 1025r FiLB, with 53" bucket, 54" mower (sold), (sold) Imatch Quick Hitch, (sold)Frontier RB2060L and Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks (x2), HLA 1500 Snowpush.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sbussell For This Useful Post:

kraynky (08-21-2014)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sbussell View Post
    Had hornets make a nest in my soffit earlier this summer. I could not see the nest, only the entrance/exit point. Tried
    about 4 cans of spray, foaming, non-foaming with little success. Then I found a suggestion on the web to use carbaryl dust/powder.
    That is the active ingredient in the common pesticide Sevin. The article also talked about using a piece of plastic tubing
    filled with the powder and blown into the nest using an air compressor. I taped the tubing to my roof rake pole, about 9 feet long,
    filled it with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of powder and shot it into the hole with the compressor. Reloaded and hit it 2 more times.
    Next day saw 2 or 3 hornets but by the 4th day they were gone.
    Now that's pretty creative! I just got one quote from a local exterminator that said they start at $150 for a hornets nest. Ouch! I just filled my propane tank for the winter and can't swing that right now.

I do have a big bag of Sevin dust, a hose and compressor. I'm going to study on that one. A fellow here at work suggested waiting until dark and then knocking the ladder off of it's nails, tearing the nest from the wall (and running back I the house of course), hoping by the next evening I can torch it while it's on the ground, or cover it with some foaming bug spray. I'm still studying on that one too.

It may frost by the time I decide what I'm going to do with it.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    12-30-2018 @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Here's a link to the article - Yellow Jacket Wasps: How To Get Rid of Them | eBay
    It's old, but really worked for me. Researching the use of Sevin, it seems the powder sticks to the wasps and gets brought back
    to the nest and gets the rest of them. Good luck.
    Steve

John Deere 1025r FiLB, with 53" bucket, 54" mower (sold), (sold) Imatch Quick Hitch, (sold)Frontier RB2060L and Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks (x2), HLA 1500 Snowpush.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast