Crazy neighbor tree removal problems.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Crazy neighbor tree removal problems.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks

Crazy neighbor tree removal problems.

Last thursday, my neighbor came over and pointed out a pine tree "just on my side of the property line" that was "dead". I went and looked at it and it looked dead, but it still had pine needles and full bark on it, but the pine needles were all brown. I told him that I'd call the tree service that I've used and been very happy with and head out of town for the weekend. Fast forward to yesterday, I come home to find that the neighbor has hired a tree service and is having 15 trees cut down. 1 of which is the one supposedly on my property. It has already been cut and I am informed that I owe $400.00. The crazy neighbor is cutting the other 14 trees, "before they die". The tree service that he picked doesn't top trees. They just use a Bobcat and push on it while cutting the tree. Using this master skill they have dropped two trees on my property damaging my other trees on the way down.

So that's the info and the end of my rant. Now my questions. What is my recourse? I have to live next to these people, I've already voiced my displeasure about the situation. I'm fine with taking care of dead trees on my property, but I wanted to use the company that I'm comfortable with. What about the damage to my property from this tree service? Crazy neighbor is very apologetic, but this is pretty ridiculous.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    You'd have to check the State laws there in GA.

If something like that had been done up here in MA not only would you not be liable for the cost, you could have the neighbor arrested and he'd be subject to both fines and jail time. Cutting down someone else's tree is a criminal offense up here. On top of that, you'd be able to sue your neighbor for up to 3x the cost of replacing trees/repairing any damage they caused.
    rgd, felixm22 and Winterkire like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    I to would pursue legal action against the neighbor and the company that damaged your property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    Cut 14 trees before they die? Sounds like he just wants a better view, or else he just wants to be a jerk or he's that crazy.

It also sounds as if he hired some amatuers. I have never seen a tree professional push while cutting. I bet one day that goes real bad for them. Here they pull sometimes (with rope), but never push. Maybe threaten legal action against his tree contractor, that may scare them away at least. May buy you some time if nothing else.

It sounds like you'll need a good fence, maybe a lawyer, a survey, maybe a court order even. But if he's crazy none of that will work. I have no real advice, anything I suggest would be illegal. Cutting my trees is an act of war and might be handled as such.
    DRobinson, rgd and Winterkire like this.

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    People are all different. If you like the neighbor and are on good terms with them tell them they owe ya one and you are not paying for the tree they cut down on your property or the mess they made.
    How does your neighbor know you didn't have your tree sold for lumber?
    arlen, farmgirl19, Levi and 1 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    Last thursday, my neighbor came over and pointed out a pine tree "just on my side of the property line" that was "dead". I went and looked at it and it looked dead, but it still had pine needles and full bark on it, but the pine needles were all brown. I told him that I'd call the tree service that I've used and been very happy with and head out of town for the weekend. Fast forward to yesterday, I come home to find that the neighbor has hired a tree service and is having 15 trees cut down. 1 of which is the one supposedly on my property. It has already been cut and I am informed that I owe $400.00. The crazy neighbor is cutting the other 14 trees, "before they die". The tree service that he picked doesn't top trees. They just use a Bobcat and push on it while cutting the tree. Using this master skill they have dropped two trees on my property damaging my other trees on the way down.

So that's the info and the end of my rant. Now my questions. What is my recourse? I have to live next to these people, I've already voiced my displeasure about the situation. I'm fine with taking care of dead trees on my property, but I wanted to use the company that I'm comfortable with. What about the damage to my property from this tree service? Crazy neighbor is very apologetic, but this is pretty ridiculous.
    If it was me I'd just tell him he has to eat the $400.00 for the damage that was done to my other trees. If he wanted to take me to court I'd also inform him that I would then go after him for the damage and for cutting down my tree and for the replacement cost to replant. But that's just me. His home owners insurance will pay you a settlement fee should you want to except it. I cut a tree down that was 3/4th on my property and got sued for it and my home owners insurance paid so they didn't have to go to court. The good old American way?!
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    05-02-2016 @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    my blood is boiling just reading this!! this "tree service" is not lagit because no tree service would go on a neighbors property without written permission. Neighbor is def in the wrong but you have three options. one pay the 400 keep things civil int he neighborhood while telling him your not pleased. 2 tell him to eat the 400 he will be p.oed but at least he is not walking all over you. three you tell him to eat it and you take him to civil court for the money and leave the criminal court out (make it hurt not permanent).

Me i would go option 2 to keep the peace but if it escalates i would go to three or he will walk all over you in the future.
    Winterkire likes this.
    - Justin

2014- 4320 ehydro, PB, Elect scv, block heater, H180 HD bucket, Ballest box-concrete filled, frontier BB21, frontier subsoiler, titan 4500lbs forks, woods rm372 finishing mower, woods RD7200P finishing mower, York rake, ford 451 special rotary, 60" 3pt snowblower, country line log splitter

2008 x300 42" deck

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 diesel 4x4, 4" MBRP exhaust

1989 Ford model 1920 4x4, bush hog FEL exiled to the Adirondacks!

Authorized Amsoil Dealer

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-22-2019 @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    This has me so angry, I should probably wait an hour before I respond, but in my opinion you don't owe him anything at all. He dropped a tree that he claims is on your side of the line, however do you know where your boundary line is? If this is your tree, he removed it without your permission. Second they used your property to fall a couple of his trees, again without your permission. And third, they damaged your trees in the process. Tell neighbor to pound sand.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    05-02-2016 @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    i knew i liked GTT!
    Levi and Winterkire like this.
    - Justin

2014- 4320 ehydro, PB, Elect scv, block heater, H180 HD bucket, Ballest box-concrete filled, frontier BB21, frontier subsoiler, titan 4500lbs forks, woods rm372 finishing mower, woods RD7200P finishing mower, York rake, ford 451 special rotary, 60" 3pt snowblower, country line log splitter

2008 x300 42" deck

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 diesel 4x4, 4" MBRP exhaust

1989 Ford model 1920 4x4, bush hog FEL exiled to the Adirondacks!

Authorized Amsoil Dealer

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    He had no right written or otherwise to remove your tree - period.

You don't owe him anything because you didn't authorize him to do the work on your property. If he was hiring a service, what he should have done was informed you of this and given you the option of using his service (to combine the work.) But seeing as how he just did this on his own - he'd eat the cost for that tree.

Secondly - if the service was on your property without any kind of permission and caused damage - go after or sue (if necessary) the tree service for the costs to repair the damage done. Your neighbor didn't do the damage, the service did. If they are reputable (sounds a little iffy at this point) they should have been properly insured to cover any oops that may occur during work. You should contact them and advise them that they cut down a tree on your property without permission/authorization. (they may even waive the $400 to cut down that tree.)

I wouldn't pay a dime, especially if I had told the neighbor I was hiring my own service (or in my case - using my own chainsaw, etc. to remove the tree in the manner of my choosing....if fact I have a pine tree doing exactly the same thing that I'll be cutting down at some point.)

He took it upon himself to remove the tree without your permission - he absorbs the cost. Damage that occurs on the property is considered vandalism/negligence on the part of the company that was on your property without the landowners (your) permission.
    Last edited by sstlaure; 08-26-2014 at 09:31 AM.
    Winterkire likes this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast