• 1 Post By jgayman

Thread: Broadcast Spreader

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks

Broadcast Spreader

Hey guys,

I'm looking into purchasing a broadcast spreader for my 1/4 acre. I've got my X758 which is more than cable to handle a rear mount broadcast spreader, or I could go with a walk behind unit that is likely easier to use on my current property. Within the next year or two I do hope to move to a larger piece of property of 3-6 acres. I will be using this for fertilizer, grass seed, potentially drop seeding. No plans to use it for cement. If I'm going to buy something I've always preferred to buy it right the first time, which means it should be stainless steel IMO to prevent issues down the road. I'm open to thoughts as I've never purchased one previously.

The spyker is the only one with metal gears, whereas the other two are a hard plastic/nylon/something scientific.

I have considered the following:

Spyker S60-12020
    https://sleequipment.com/spyker-pro-...s60-12020.html

Earthway F80PSD
    https://earthway.com/product/F80PS-P...-SPREADER.ashx

AM Leonard AM100S
    https://www.amleo.com/leonard-100-lb...rs/p/VP-AM100/

John Deere Rear Mount Spreader LP35439
    https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...r-LP35439.html
    Last edited by nastorino; 02-23-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks
    I would suggest the Spyker, as I've heard others having problems with the plastic gears.

I have a little Scotts (Tru-Green?) and it's been just fine- for my old house back in the day.

Now I have a full acre, and I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm leery of the big capacity broadcast spreaders 'cuz I just don't think it's a good idea to have 75+ lbs. of product up high. My yard is gently rolling, but there are still some surprise holes I'm slowly finding and marking to fill them in.

I'm going with the Agri-Fab drop spreader. It's Amazon Prime, so that's great for me! I like the tires, and the fact that the design keeps the load down low; much more stable IMHO. It is a bit more than the broadcast spreaders, and the application rate is less. I figure if I just go over each L or R tire track I'll get almost 100% coverage.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,213 Posts
    I'm a little confused... if you want to buy it right the first time why are you still looking at the walk-behind spreaders? Won't you be wanting something you can tow with the X758? As you probably know, Spyker makes the 125lb and 175lb tow-behind spreaders for JD. I have the 175 lb model and while I don't really need to spread that much material, the larger size and wider wheel track makes it very tip resistant. My yard is very rough and hilly and I've had no issues tipping the 175lb unit.

I initially considered the rear "mounted" spreader but there were too many reports of it throwing a lot of material into the back of the tractor as it doesn't have much of a shield.
    Last edited by jgayman; 02-23-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMMAC View Post
    I would suggest the Spyker, as I've heard others having problems with the plastic gears.

I have a little Scotts (Tru-Green?) and it's been just fine- for my old house back in the day.

Now I have a full acre, and I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm leery of the big capacity broadcast spreaders 'cuz I just don't think it's a good idea to have 75+ lbs. of product up high. My yard is gently rolling, but there are still some surprise holes I'm slowly finding and marking to fill them in.

I'm going with the Agri-Fab drop spreader. It's Amazon Prime, so that's great for me! I like the tires, and the fact that the design keeps the load down low; much more stable IMHO. It is a bit more than the broadcast spreaders, and the application rate is less. I figure if I just go over each L or R tire track I'll get almost 100% coverage.
    I got to use my FIL's Earthway unit in the fall and it was not bad at all. I just wasn't fond of the idea of plastic/nylon gears despite the warranty. I called them and questioned it and they said it was to prevent corrosion from eating them when dust and particulate got in, if it did. The JD one mounts to the back of the tractor, an x7xx typically weighs 900lbs without the deck and operator. Despite the additional height and the 75lbs I highly doubt it will screw with the CG and cause it to roll over. You'll be using drop spreader for all fertilizer and seed duties?

Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I'm a little confused... if you want to buy it right the first time why are you still looking at the walk-behind spreaders? Won't you be wanting something you can tow with the X758? As you probably know, Spyker makes the 125lb and 175lb tow-behind spreaders for JD. I have the 175 lb model and while I don't really need to spread that much material, the larger size and wider wheel track makes it very tip resistant. My yard is very rough and hilly and I've had no issues tipping the 175lb unit.

I initially considered the rear "mounted" spreader but there were too many reports of it throwing a lot of material into the back of the tractor as it doesn't have much of a shield.

Valid point jgayman, valid point. Buying a really nice walk behind would be counter productive if I was going to get a larger lawn in the near future. If I was to do the rear mounted spreader a shield would have to be fabricated like so many others have done as a result of the mess it leaves under the seat....now buying it just sounds stupid. :banged:

I was staying away from the tow behinds because I wasn't sure about stability. Like you said the larger spyker might be much more stable. My last concern was how maneuverable it was when on smaller pieces of property and around flower beds etc. You've definitely given my something better to consider.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    I was staying away from the tow behinds because I wasn't sure about stability. Like you said the larger spyker might be much more stable. My last concern was how maneuverable it was when on smaller pieces of property and around flower beds etc. You've definitely given my something better to consider.
    I have less than 1 acre and find the 175 lb. tow-behind very maneuverable behind my X500. However, if working around flower beds and other areas where you do not want material spread, any broadcast spreader can be a problem... even a walk-behind. This is because the spread pattern is very wide and with most materials you have a hard time seeing it coming out of the spreader. So keeping it out of unwanted areas in a congested environment is very difficult. The JD mounted electric spreader is the worst in this case because the motor does not have a speed control. (Note: I believe Spyker makes a speed control for a larger unit but it is VERY expensive).

The only real solution would be a drop spreader. It will take more passes because the material application isn't any wider than the spreader but you can run right beside flower beds and sidewalks with no over shoot. Also, most drop spreaders sit low so roll overs are usually not a concern.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

nastorino (02-24-2018)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 AM
    Thanks
    If you had the 3pt and pto you could go with a bigger spreader.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0648.jpg  
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Here are a couple pictures of my tow behind JD spreader. From what I remember it was the most expensive model JD sold. Think it was around $450 new. It's rated for 175 lbs but I regularly put 4-50 lbs of salt into it. Salt is the only thing I ever used it for. You can adjust how fast the material comes out by adjusting a knob. The towing speed also has something to do with it. The faster you go the wider it spreads. Had to add the mat to keep the salt off the back of the tractor.
    This model doesn't have the plastic drive gears to drive the spinner. The gear box also has grease fittings to add lube.
    This unit will not flip over when hooked up to the tractor. The hitch won't let it. Believe me I tried. lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1954.jpg   IMG_1126.jpg  
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

nastorino (03-31-2018)

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Here are a couple pictures of my tow behind JD spreader. From what I remember it was the most expensive model JD sold. Think it was around $450 new. It's rated for 175 lbs but I regularly put 4-50 lbs of salt into it. Salt is the only thing I ever used it for. You can adjust how fast the material comes out by adjusting a knob. The towing speed also has something to do with it. The faster you go the wider it spreads. Had to add the mat to keep the salt off the back of the tractor.
    This model doesn't have the plastic drive gears to drive the spinner. The gear box also has grease fittings to add lube.
    This unit will not flip over when hooked up to the tractor. The hitch won't let it. Believe me I tried. lol
    Thanks for that review. I’m still the the market. Might borrow my father in laws push model one more time. The QH, plow and Front dethatcher and wings are sucking down my spring budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Your original post describes my own situation fairly closely. I lived on 1/4 acre in the suburbs before finally moving to a 5 acre small horse farm. The Frontier PTO driven spreader I have now would have been way too much for the 1/4 acre. I'd have broadcasted into the street and neighbor's yards, and all over the driveway and the patio. Most of what I spread would have been wasted. Plus the small amount of fertilizer needed for 1/4 acre was eaasy to spread with a push type broadcast spreader, and I used a drop spreader for years with no problems.

But now with 5 acreas of mostly pasture I spread 1/2 ton or more fertilizer at a time, and also there's the ton or so of pelletized lime every year. So the PTO spreader is the best option.

I don't think that a spreader for 1/4 acre willl do the job for you when you move and have 20 times more land to cover. And a spreader that will do the job efficiently for 5 acres is just too much for 1/4 acre.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements