Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: My new road is a tad washed out

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks

Angry My new road is a tad washed out

Only a few days ago I finished a road from our house to the barn so I don't have to put boots on when it rains and I was real proud of the results. Five loads of road base, five loads of crushed granite and a few hours of tractor seat time (and $$$) did the trick. Two days ago we had a frog strangler rain (almost 7" per hour rain rate) and received a much needed 1.76" or rain. What I didn't figure was my new road made a nice berm until part of it washed away. Our property slopes from north to south and there's about 250' of land for runoff to accumulate on the north side of my road.

I'm going to place two or three east-west lines of rock to act as a catch for runoff and to slow it down but I would also like to make some kind of culvert in the road to carry runoff away. I really don't want to buy a large steel culvert, I'd have to do a bunch of excavation to place the pipe and I don't think I need something that large anyway.

I've thought about laying some 4x4 (or 8x8) PT timbers spaced maybe a foot apart perpendicular to the drive but they would probably get clogged up with leaves. Another thought was getting some drain pipe at Lowes but I'm not sure if the tractor would crush plastic pipe. I have a bunch of old steel pipe that I could make something like a cattle guard but I would need to line the ditch with wood or concrete (or whatever.)

Any ideas for something fairly simple to carry runoff away?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RoadWashedOut.jpg  
    Levi, JKR, Marlin and 4 others like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    The water is running across the driveway?
    Levi, Marlin, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks
    At my parents camp that would get filled with 4” crushed stone. There are a couple streams that cross the road and that holds up even through 18” of rain in a day.

There is one at the bottom of this hill.

pcabe5, Levi, Marlin and 6 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,579 Posts
    At least now you know where the water will run across your driveway. You can either dig out a little deeper and put a 6-8" culvert. for me a 8" or

if you have a place to buy some rough cut saw from a local saw mill, dig that ditch a little deeper make a 3 sided box and for the top just put a few 2x4 or 2x6 placed so you could drive over that location and rest so it would be easy to check and see if it needs cleaned.
    pcabe5, rydplrs, Marlin and 3 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks
    Can't tell for sure, but it looks like you may not have the vertical room for a small culvert without building that area up a little. Another option, if you can't get the water to drain away to the right in the picture, is to shape a shallow, very gradual dip where it went across, get a couple tons of larger stone that won't wash away and put that in the dip area. Make a low water crossing of sorts.

That's probably what I would do if I couldn't get it to drain away parallel to the drive. If you build it up for a culvert it might create a berm that would end up holding water back and making a soggy spot.
    etcallhome, Levi and johncanfield like this.
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips guys! Maybe digging the area out and making a rock swale would work best, we have lots of rocks from pebble size to the size of a truck on the acreage. Then again rocks might collect leaves and dirt runoff. Scratching head here.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys! Maybe digging the area out and making a rock swale would work best, we have lots of rocks from pebble size to the size of a truck on the acreage. Then again rocks might collect leaves and dirt runoff. Scratching head here.
    Incase you thought that was part of my suggestion it wasn’t. Let water cross there over the road. With a good rock base, and your small rocks filling the gaps it will remain smooth. And not catch leaves. It looks way to flat for any kind of liquid underpass, it will just collect debris.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, rtgt and 4 others like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

How often does it rain like that?

This sounds like a lazy man's way but I think I would be tempted to just put it back the way it was and let it get fully packed before making any changes. My thinking is that you don't have much fall even though you have 250' of run. I doubt you will have any problems with any ordinary rain but if you do, then you can figure things out a bit better. A 7"/hour rate is unusual, or at least I hope so and your road wasn't fully packed yet.

If you do go the culvert route, I'd recommend 12" or larger diameter. Anytime I've used anything smaller it would silt and clog. There are lots of alternatives but all require and some maintenance so my first option would be to put it back, let it get fully packed and see what happens.

The alternative of using larger rock as a base with something like crusher run on top is a good suggestion. If that is packed in tight, it will take quite a bit of water flowing over it with minimal damage. I have a stream crossing that's built that way and it normally has water flowing over it without harm. The only time the rocks moved was when I broke a beaver dam upstream and about 18" of water coming across it moved some of the rocks on the downstream side of the road. The larger rocks are rougher to ride on, even with some fill on top.

Treefarmer
    etcallhome, rtgt, rydplrs and 4 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    Incase you thought that was part of my suggestion it wasn’t. Let water cross there over the road. With a good rock base, and your small rocks filling the gaps it will remain smooth. And not catch leaves. It looks way to flat for any kind of liquid underpass, it will just collect debris.
    Ah, roger that. The base is crushed limestone, I forgot what exactly it's called but the largest rocks are 3/4" to 1" - it's the typical road base used in this area. I have a bunch of that kind of base around the shop and after a few years it doesn't wash out even with the heaviest runoff.

I think I'll just pull back the crushed granite and let it get packed in more. I need to get one more load of crushed granite and I'll ask the guy to run up and down the road to pack it in. Our main drive is now crushed granite and once it got packed, it's really hard.

Thanks again fellows!
    rtgt, rydplrs, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

12. Top | #10
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Thanks
    This is a product we use when keeping a gravel road intact on a steep grade. Also helps in grass areas that may ecounter heavy machinery. Might help with your wash issue.

https://standartpark-usa.com/pages/g...kaAgQoEALw_wcB
    mjncad, Gizmo2, rtgt and 6 others like this.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big For This Useful Post:

mjncad (02-27-2018), rtgt (02-27-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast