Crushed concrete for rock driveway?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Crushed concrete for rock driveway?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks

Crushed concrete for rock driveway?

Has anyone used crushed concrete for their driveway? In my area white rock is $32 a ton while crushed concrete varies between $16 to $19 a ton.
    My driveway is over 400 feet long and less than 2 years old. The bottom base is 3 inch white rock with 1 1/2 white rock over it. Since winter is almost over it is shown a bunch of bare areas where the rock has sunken into the mud.
    Just wondering if crushed concrete is worth the savings since it is cheaper than rock?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 AM
    Thanks
    I have 4,000 square feet of crushed concrete for our driveway. I put it in in 2010 using my tractor and the help of neighbors (we did theirs at the same time), and I haven't touched it since. It doesn't crack, heave or buckle, and compacts very well. It's easy to repair if necessary too. Just make sure you get plenty of fines to lock the larger 'rocks' into place, and a mix of rock sizes; otherwise you'll be driving on marbles. The compactor I used is oversized; but I got a good deal on it as the rental company didn't have the smaller one they promised available.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04011.jpg   DSC04009.jpg   DSC04015.jpg  
    I have more ideas than ambition.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Thanks
    Crushed concrete makes for a great driveway.
    I have a lot of it on mine.
    Just make sure you check for little piece of rebar and mat wire that may get past the magnets of the crusher. It happens.
    mjncad, Kennyd, etcallhome and 6 others like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

5. The Following User Says Thank You to blue87fj60 For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (02-28-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks
    At our last house we had a crushed concrete drive and it held up great. I asked the guy that's been hauling my crusher road base and crushed granite about concrete and I think he said it was more expensive than what I'm using. Crushed (ground?) asphalt was another option but that was also more expensive.
    mjncad, etcallhome, pcabe5 and 5 others like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 22 year old driveway I built that never ruts out. I put down what we call Pit Run rocks and a sand based old river bed stuff about 8+ inches thick and had the dump trucks drive on it full each time before dumping there loads. I would wet it down between loads with a fire hose. Then I topped it with about 4" go 5/8" Minus Crushed Rock with fines and did the same thing. All I ever do is grade it each year in the spring after the thaw to make it pretty again. Need some new rock this year that JD with a blade behind it can move some rock with the snow. I will reclaim it when my snow pile melts soon? Spent a lot in the beginning but it was also a one time deal for me and crush rock costs more now to buy. Need about 20 yards to make it pretty for the Wife and Daughter they always look funny when I want to grade the driveway gravel and a little pit run shows? One nice thing the 4044M can grade going up my drive way and the MF135 ran out of guts near the top. So I will move more stuff back to the top of the drive again this year, I have bladed mostly down hill over the years because of this.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 02-28-2018 at 01:32 PM.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:45 PM
    Thanks
    Crushed concrete makes a great non paved driveway. As long as you get some fines in it and compact it wet, it’ll last until you tire of it and then some.

My ~700’ of Drive is all crushed concrete aside from what I’ve scraped out and poured in concrete.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Do you need to get some equipment compact the crushed concrete? I was planning to have it dumped and spread out on the driveway. I figured it would eventually get packed down driving over it all summer.
    etcallhome and Robnik like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra7350 View Post
    Do you need to get some equipment compact the crushed concrete? I was planning to have it dumped and spread out on the driveway. I figured it would eventually get packed down driving over it all summer.
    It will eventually pack down but have the driver with the last load or two drive over the spread out material a few times (after you work it level.) Not as good as a compactor but good enough.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
    Crushed (ground?) asphalt was another option but that was also more expensive.
    At the time I redid our driveway crushed concrete and crushed asphalt were the same per ton price. The crushed concrete replaced the crushed asphalt driveway the builder put in. I despised the asphalt; because it still tracked in small amounts of tar and oil into the garage and house.

A riding vibratory compactor is easy to operate and fun. You can compact a driveway in 4 - 8 hours depending on square footage and obstacles.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra7350 View Post
    That will just pack down the two tire tracks, not the entire width evenly. Rent the compactor.
    mjncad, BigJim55, mark02tj and 6 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast