French drains below frost line??
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: French drains below frost line??

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks

French drains below frost line??

All, I need to set up a grid iron configuration French drain to drain a lot of standing surface water on top of my clay upper lot.

They will be approximately 200 foot runs on the laterals feeding into an approximately 300-400 ft run main.

Do the French drains need to be below the frost line which is apparently 50 inches deep here? Was going to use solid walled plastic piping with perforations on bottom

Property doesnít need to drain if itís frozen obviously

Have read on some sites about freeze thaw
    Damaging some drain pipes

Below frost line will add significantly more trenching hours - i was already planning a 2 ft wide trench with 6 inch pipe

At lower end of the project ie lower elevation Iíd probably be digging deeper than the adjacent waterfront water table
    Herminator and bvbearcat like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 AM
    Thanks
    I've had them 6-12" below the surface and never had a problem.When put in right and enough pitch there won't be much moisture.The stone on the sides and top take a lot of the movement of the frost.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TJR345 For This Useful Post:

Yamaguy†(03-17-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    I've had them 6-12" below the surface and never had a problem.When put in right and enough pitch there won't be much moisture.The stone on the sides and top take a lot of the movement of the frost.

I have something similar but it is solid 6” pvc that is also 6-12” down and is used a a drain for our sump pumps and the eves troughs. They run all winter for the iron filter and the softener. The trench is sand filled under cedar chips and is 150’ Long. The last 20’ is under grass and ends at the ditch bank. I have roughly 1/8 - 1/4” pitch per foot and it does not freeze up in the winter. I thought the frost might heave it but in 2 winters it has not been a problem and is still where I put it.
    ColonyPark, OxPath and TJR345 like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:27 AM
    Thanks
    Like the others mentioned 12" to top of pipe should be fine. In traffic areas such as lawn mowers. The key is to keep all the lines drained. So depending on your contour of yard you may have part of the line 12" and other parts deeper.
    I have a whole system of gutter drains and piping as well.
    OxPath likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 PM
    Thanks
    I have a run under the eves of the pole barn and it isn't below the frost line. Mine is a 6" perforated drain tile with a fabric sock like material over it to keep the dirt out. Since it is flexible there isn't a concern about movement.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 958 Posts
    I chronicled my drainage project here.......

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...e-project.html

None of that drainage is below our frost line (40") and I have never had any problems.
    pcabe5 and HouseMouse like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-26-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jermedic View Post
    All, I need to set up a grid iron configuration French drain to drain a lot of standing surface water on top of my clay upper lot.

They will be approximately 200 foot runs on the laterals feeding into an approximately 300-400 ft run main.

Do the French drains need to be below the frost line which is apparently 50 inches deep here? Was going to use solid walled plastic piping with perforations on bottom

Property doesnít need to drain if itís frozen obviously

Have read on some sites about freeze thaw
    Damaging some drain pipes

Below frost line will add significantly more trenching hours - i was already planning a 2 ft wide trench with 6 inch pipe

At lower end of the project ie lower elevation Iíd probably be digging deeper than the adjacent waterfront water table
    No, drain lines do not need to be below freeze thaw depth, as water is almost continuously moving (think leaving a faucet barely running in a cold house, so the pipes don't freeze). What would concern me about depth is the susceptibility to crushing due to weight of vehicles or tractors. 1' minimum, but i'd like mine to be 2' to the top of the pipe. This is also industry standard for site design around here at least.
    Ray_PA likes this.
    2017 2032R (Gen2)
    FEL (220r) w/57" Bucket and 48" forks
    60D AutoConnect MMM

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    Ok next debate. Big box stores donít seem to be carrying six inch perforated pipe.

I want it to be rigid to maintain grade

Called plumbing supply store they said I would want perforations all the way around the pipe as opposed to just near the bottom of the pipe as I specified

Application is draining 1.5-2 acres of heavy clay heavily saturated rough lawn

Also looks like six inch much harder to get and much more expensive than four inch - should I stick with six inch? Is it overkill ? Will I be glad I had the extra capacity ??

Again three 200 ft laterals plugging into an approx 300 ft main in a grid iron configuration

12. Top | #9
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bvbearcat View Post
    No, drain lines do not need to be below freeze thaw depth, as water is almost continuously moving (think leaving a faucet barely running in a cold house, so the pipes don't freeze). What would concern me about depth is the susceptibility to crushing due to weight of vehicles or tractors. 1' minimum, but i'd like mine to be 2' to the top of the pipe. This is also industry standard for site design around here at least.
    I agree with Yukon C. as long as the water runs it will not freeze, if you have a bump in the line and water can back up you will have a problem. lots of stone, 2' wide trench, 2 feet deep, perf pipe holes down not that flexible black stuff, (i'm just not a fan of that material and never used it) silt barrier around the stone and you'll have a great french drain. Remember sub surface drains (below the frost line) are a whole other use. One more hint, make sure animals cannot build a nest in the end of the pipe if it dries up, put an end cap on the pipe with some small holes 3/8" or so drilled in it and a little stone after that... don't glue the end cap on...!!
    pcabe5, ColonyPark, TJR345 and 1 others like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 958 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jermedic View Post
    Ok next debate. Big box stores donít seem to be carrying six inch perforated pipe.

I want it to be rigid to maintain grade

Called plumbing supply store they said I would want perforations all the way around the pipe as opposed to just near the bottom of the pipe as I specified

Application is draining 1.5-2 acres of heavy clay heavily saturated rough lawn

Also looks like six inch much harder to get and much more expensive than four inch - should I stick with six inch? Is it overkill ? Will I be glad I had the extra capacity ??

Again three 200 ft laterals plugging into an approx 300 ft main in a grid iron configuration

In my thread that I linked above, is a pic of pipe in the back of my old Outback. It is all 6" and perforated. The green/blue pipe only has holes on the bottom, it is thin walled. There were places that I knew the pipe would get driven over by vehicles heavier than a 1 series Deere, so I went to the black pipe in those areas. The black pipe is similar to the rigid black corrugated pipe that is 12" diameter and higher, what we use for driveway sluice pipes in these parts. It is made to be driven over and the holes are all around, not just on the bottom and it has a smooth inside. I felt I wanted 6" "just in case". In my thread, I noted that I did my project in 2 phases, 2 years apart. In that period, I watched the water flow. We had some heavy rains, and the 6" pipe was never even half full at peak flow times. So for phase 2, I actually reduced to 4". I have had even more heavy rains, and the flow isn't even half of the 4" at the outlet. You can move a lot of water in a 4" pipe. And, in my phase 2, I had forgotten how much more expensive the 6" pipe was, and the fittings are even worse, the 4" was much more affordable.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, Ray_PA and 3 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast