Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree319Likes

Thread: My Virginia 30 Acre Timber Sale

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks

My Virginia 30 Acre Timber Sale

15 years ago, my older neighbor needed some extra retirement money, he offered to sell me some land.
    I could afford it, so the wife and I decided to buy the land.
    We really did not know what the timber was worth,, we just wanted a bigger buffer between us and the neighbor,
    Well, one day a guy down the road sold some timber, I was astounded at the money he got,,,
    3 1/2 years ago, we decided to sell the timber. I hired a forester, he cruised it, and I put it out for bids.
    The half dozen bids that came back seemed too low,,, so, we rejected all of the bids.

One guy came back, and asked what we wanted,, out of the blue, I came up with a number that was 40% above the highest bid.
    He responded that we would never get that,, my amount was "ridiculous"
    I felt the price of timber would go up over time,, and my timber would grow,, so eventually, the my price would be correct.

If it took ten years,, I was willing to wait.
    Well,, This past Saturday, the guy came to my house,,, with the check, for my "ridiculous" amount.
    He said it would be a week or two before they showed up,,, Monday afternoon,, a D5 CAT was setting in my driveway,,,

The loggers dad came over the next morning, and widened my driveway entrance,,,

Wednesday, a skidder was unloaded

I think they were ready to start cutting my place!! :thumbsup:
    More pics to follow,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 AM
    Thanks

Good deal

I'm glad you got your price. I hope you negotiated a good contract with all of the needed provisions in there. The money is a good thing but you also want to protect yourself with a contract to make sure they comply with best management practices, don't log when it's too wet, have liability and worker's comp insurance etc. etc.

Hardwood prices for saw timber have been strong the past year or two and with housing starts up, the prices may stay for a while. Pine has not been as good as there is a lot of pine that grew during the recession and is still standing and waiting to be cut. Pine genetics have also improved rapidly so the supply has been more than able to keep up with demand.

Good luck with the harvest. Are they chipping the slash for pulp?

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    15 years ago, my older neighbor needed some extra retirement money, he offered to sell me some land.
    I could afford it, so the wife and I decided to buy the land.
    We really did not know what the timber was worth,, we just wanted a bigger buffer between us and the neighbor,
    Well, one day a guy down the road sold some timber, I was astounded at the money he got,,,
    3 1/2 years ago, we decided to sell the timber. I hired a forester, he cruised it, and I put it out for bids.
    The half dozen bids that came back seemed too low,,, so, we rejected all of the bids.

One guy came back, and asked what we wanted,, out of the blue, I came up with a number that was 40% above the highest bid.
    He responded that we would never get that,, my amount was "ridiculous"
    I felt the price of timber would go up over time,, and my timber would grow,, so eventually, the my price would be correct.

If it took ten years,, I was willing to wait.
    Well,, This past Saturday, the guy came to my house,,, with the check, for my "ridiculous" amount.
    He said it would be a week or two before they showed up,,, Monday afternoon,, a D5 CAT was setting in my driveway,,,

The loggers dad came over the next morning, and widened my driveway entrance,,,

Wednesday, a skidder was unloaded

I think they were ready to start cutting my place!! :thumbsup:
    More pics to follow,,,
    When they log around here they leave a frickin mess...
    Gizmo2, grnspot110, Levi and 6 others like this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 AM
    Thanks
    Congrats on the sale CADPlans!! I hope they do a nice job for you and don't tear up the property.

Are the treads on that skidder's tires pretty much worn off? Hence the need for the chains?
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I expect them to leave a mess,, I have 4 areas that are similar that they have harvested,, so I know what to expect.

No, the slash will not be chipped.
    I have heard recently that the chip buyers are not buying any chips at this time.

One place is buying pulpwood, that is wood that the buyer chips,,
    there are no branches mixed in the pulpwood.

I feel like it is a win for me if they leave the branches,,
    the branches will rot, that will add nutrients to the soil.

The state foresters are all over these guys, the harvesters are required to keep the state informed as to what they are doing.

There is no free lunch for loggers anymore. the state is watching EVERYTHING.
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Are the treads on that skidder's tires pretty much worn off? Hence the need for the chains?
    That is what it looks like, maybe they just have to replace the rear tires more often?
    Levi, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    Will there be any left laying around for firewood that you're willing to part with?
    rtgt, Levi and Herminator like this.
    2016 3039R 165FEL / Woods RM660 / Fimco 40gal 3pt / Frontier 1060 Aerator / Frontier subsoiler / 3 pt spreader / HLA pallet forks / 6ft blade / 6ft Lucknow 3pt snowblower / $50 boom pole that never gets used anymore

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Congrats on the sale CADPlans!! I hope they do a nice job for you and don't tear up the property.

Around here all skidders are setup with chains like that.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aclass View Post
    Will there be any left laying around for firewood that you're willing to part with?
    I have no idea,,
    they did say the "block" pile would larger than anyone could haul off.
    the blocks are pieces of defective log, rotted, ends too long, forks, etc,,,

but, my wood is mostly poplar, not very good firewood,,,
    grnspot110, rtgt, Levi and 4 others like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 AM
    Thanks

State Foresters

Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    I expect them to leave a mess,, I have 4 areas that are similar that they have harvested,, so I know what to expect.

No, the slash will not be chipped.
    I have heard recently that the chip buyers are not buying any chips at this time.

One place is buying pulpwood, that is wood that the buyer chips,,
    there are no branches mixed in the pulpwood.

I feel like it is a win for me if they leave the branches,,
    the branches will rot, that will add nutrients to the soil.

The state foresters are all over these guys, the harvesters are required to keep the state informed as to what they are doing.

There is no free lunch for loggers anymore. the state is watching EVERYTHING.
    Unfortunately for the landowners the state guys only have one thing in mind and that's protecting the water. As long as they don't screw up the streams, the loggers can do a terrible job for the landowner. I'm not dumping on the foresters, they are spread so thin that is all they have time to do. A really good forester will give you a call if they see something that's legal but really not right but they have no enforcement power unless it gets into a BMP violation and/or mud tracked onto state highways. You could have a logger leave widow makers, ruts 3' deep in your land, but over the property line (that's civil, not a criminal violation) etc. and the forester can't do much about it. If they drop a limb into a stream, now that's another story.

I have a fairly strict contract for each sale and it's site specific showing the land areas, travel areas, a limitation on logging when it's too wet and I reserve the right to stop harvest if conditions aren't met. I also meet with the logging crew as they move on site and make sure they know what the conditions are. (Sometimes the timber buyer doesn't bother to talk to the actual logging crew so I make sure the guys doing the cutting and skidding know what the deal is.)

It's not just me, the large timber companies are even more strict. I know one has a safety clause in their contracts which they enforce religiously because they don't want anyone getting hurt on their property.

Most of the long term loggers know how to do a good job but sometimes they rush and screw it up. I've had one crew that won't be back no matter how much they pay and frankly am in the process of changing forest consultants because the old one really didn't monitor the harvest like he should have. He was too close to the logger/buyer and not looking out for me. Fortunately, there are a lot of timber consultants so too bad for him.

Treefarmer
    grnspot110, rtgt, Levi and 7 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast