• 5 Post By Big
  • 2 Post By Oscar Leroy

Thread: Steep driveway erosion control question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks

Steep driveway erosion control question

The first 75 feet or so of our driveway is pretty steep (about 10 to 15 feet climb in elevation in that distance, I calculate that as a 13% to 20% grade if I did that right). After that it becomes a little more of a reasonable incline. It used to be covered with vegetation and a thin layer of gravel compacted in the dirt, but when we had utilities installed, they trenched up the middle of it and we ended up with huge ruts in it with mostly bare clay.

I used the box blade to try to level things out, and I think I probably did more harm than good. It was okay for a little while, but when it rains it gets pretty slick. And as time goes on the rain is putting more ruts in it, and it's starting to get about as bad as after the utilities installation.

With spring coming, I'm looking at ways to reestablish grass to provide a more stable surface. I have been considering using the box blade again, followed by erosion control blankets (like excelsior) and reseeding. But I am wondering if they could survive in a driveway. The only traffic would be our Ford F-150 out and back in maybe once every few days and our 1025r just a little more often. Anyone have experience with these blankets in a situation like this? Are they sturdy enough to support light traffic? Would they be slippery when wet and just make things that much more dangerous? Am I crazy to even consider them?

We have investigated putting down some crusher run, but the cost is a little prohibitive at this point. And I'm not sure that's a good solution in this case anyway. Any opinions about that or any other alternative suggestions would be appreciated as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 AM
    Thanks
    This stuff is amazing for applications like you are talking about. You can "fill" it with anything. Grass, pea gravel, gravel, you name it!

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...kaAgQoEALw_wcB
    mjncad, rtgt, keane and 2 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big For This Useful Post:

mjncad (03-10-2018), Oscar Leroy (03-10-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 AM
    Thanks
    Here is a YouTube video of a steep driveway that used similar product. Geo Grid is the common name.

https://youtu.be/rY_UcEM7nNc
    mjncad, rtgt, keane and 2 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big For This Useful Post:

mjncad (03-10-2018), Oscar Leroy (03-10-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the pointers, Big, that's very useful information, and it looks like that's what I'll end up going with in the long run.
    rtgt and Big like this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements