Recommendation for hill side ground cover that doesn't need "planting"?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Recommendation for hill side ground cover that doesn't need "planting"?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts

Recommendation for hill side ground cover that doesn't need "planting"?

I am located in central PA. I have steep banks on each side of my driveway that have a lot of bare spots. The tallest is about 20 feet high. The driveway itself faces south so both banks get a good dose of direct sun throughout the day. I am looking for recommendations for what I can get to "spread" on the bank surface that will take hold and provide cover for the big bare spots. Crawling up on the bank and "planting" anything is out of the question as the soil is rather loose and easily eroded. I need something that will take hold just from being tossed or spread on the surface of the bank. I would also prefer something that is pretty much self maintaining that won't require cutting or trimming and that is friendly and won't eventually expand and encapsulate the house. :-)

Below are two photos to give you some idea of the slope and existing growth.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2146a.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	567849

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2147a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	567857
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts

I would love to do something similar along my ditch lines. Too steep to mow and a massive PIA to trim constantly.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Crown Vetch by far is the best for banks like that. Look along our Pennsylvania highways and that’s all you will see on the banks that are not mowed.

It will creep and take over any other vegetation elimnating any weeds. It is zero maintenance and looks very nice. It has a very good root system which holds banks very well.

Take a look at this Penn State document under “Formula C” - you will see how they recomend it for unmowed banks.

http://plantscience.psu.edu/research...de-groundcover

https://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_cova2.pdf

Edit to add: we planted this stuff all the time by just thowing the seed mix and covering with a layer of mulch hay.
    Last edited by coaltrain; 03-11-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    glc, dieselshadow, arlen and 5 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Auguste (05-28-2018), dieselshadow (03-11-2018), glc (03-11-2018), jgayman (03-11-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts
    I would try a Juniper, several of them will eventually creep and spread to cover the entire bank. Just make sure it is a creeping juniper, there are several different types of juniper.
    mjncad, BigJim55, Ray_PA and 2 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Crown Vetch by far is the best for banks like that. Look along our Pennsylvania highways and that’s all you will see on the banks that are not mowed.

It will creep and take over any other vegetation elimnating any weeds. It is zero maintenance and looks very nice. It has a very good root system which holds banks very well.

Take a look at this Penn State document under “Formula C” - you will see how they recomend it for unmowed banks.

Edit to add: we planted this stuff all the time by just throwing the seed mix and covering with a layer of mulch hay.
    Where do you buy Crown Vetch "formula C"? Will I find a bag of seeds at the local big box store or lawn and garden store?

Can I cover it with straw instead?
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Where do you buy Crown Vetch "formula C"? Will I find a bag of seeds at the local big box store or lawn and garden store?

You’ll have to cover it with something and straw would be best IMO. I would also kill the entire bank with round up two weeks before seeding or when grass on the bank comes back to life it will choke out whatever seed you put on. Plus the straw might help all the seed from ending up at the bottom after the first hard rain.
    BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks
    "The common periwinkle plant (Vinca minor) is often spotted creeping down steep hillsides and banks, offering a green and growing affect in areas which might otherwise be bare. The periwinkle plant is exceptional as an erosion control specimen. Periwinkle is also used as a spreading shrub in USDA garden zones 4 to 8. Periwinkle is often also called creeping vinca.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Periwinkle Care – How To Grow Periwinkle Plants https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...periwinkle.htm"

We have periwinkle in several locations,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

http://plantscience.psu.edu/research...de-groundcover

https://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_cova2.pdf

Edit to add: we planted this stuff all the time by just thowing the seed mix and covering with a layer of mulch hay.
    This would be my recommendation as well. Contact your local ag extension office and they can probably give you a list of suppliers.

We have this in a bank by the old house. It’s impossible to get rid of.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post

I would just make up my own mix - it’s just annual ryegrass and crown vetch. Just do a 50/50 mix.

When I was doing landscaping a local nursery and feed supplier had special Penn State grass seed which was awesome. But for that “formula C” it’s nothing special to Penn State.

As said above - straw is even better being it won’t have any seed in it. Spread the seed, spread the straw, and soak it. If you can water it every day for 10 days - a good soaking. Keeping it wet will also help the straw to stay put which makes the seed stay put.

If you can’t water it it will still germinate just will take a bit longer. Try to plant in the spring if you can’t water it.
    jgayman and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

If you want grass. . . .

Nothing against the crown vetch or periwinkle but if you want a grass look you could try zoysia or bermuda grass. I'm not sure how it does that far north but once established both will hold soil and grow low enough to not really need mowing. Spray it once a years for broad leaf weeds and it will last as long as you do.

Lots of options, it just depends on what look you want and how much trouble you want to go to. Some people just use a mulch or rock over filter cloth on a bank like that.

Treefarmer
    PJR832 likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast