Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree212Likes

Thread: Gigantic tree

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks

Gigantic tree

I was wandering around the new property with my boys and wife when we came upon this.

Based on the bark I believe it to be a Bur Oak. I didn't have a tape to measure it, but I would estimate the diameter to be about 5' across, which would put the age of this tree at approximately 390 years.

Holy crap what a find. I intend to clear out all of the smaller trees and do anything I can to keep this ancient specimen alive and healthy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bur Oak 2.jpg   Bur Oak 3.jpg   Bur Oak 1.jpg  
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,080 Posts
    that is indeed a nice fine. i would do all i could to save that tree also.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    To think that this tree could have been a sapling when the pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock in 1620. It's unreal
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    As every woodsman who's entered my property in conjunction with my harvest underway has said: Big oaks don't respond well to being "released."

That tree doesn't have the viggor of a younger tree. When you release it, it's like asking your Gramps to go from 3 naps a day and in bed by 8, to power lifting in one shot. What do you think would happen to Gramps? Yep, the trees croak too.

You can thin some of the competition, but I'd do it over the course of several winters.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Timber For This Useful Post:

Rope_Chucker (03-13-2018)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Thanks
    Yeah you have to be careful doing what you want to do. It is a real beauty.
    For one it opens that biggun up for a singular lightning rod, and for another the trees around it might take some of the snow load and wind load from it.
    I see it also has a giant lower branch. We had a 300 year old white oak not far from here. It was a glorious tree but had a giant branch like that. One year that branch broke off. The tree went downhill after that and eventually died about 10 years ago.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

Big tree registry

I agree that you might do more harm than good by "releasing" a tree that old. At the very least, make changes over years, not days and avoid using any equipment around the roots.

Check out the Michigan big tree registry to see where it stands with other big trees. You might have a winner! Michigan Big Tree Program — The Michigan Botanical Club

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    We had a big oak that size. Had is the operative word here. It was all by itself. Big lighting storm came through and yep, it got hit. Split the oak right down the middle from the top to within 5' from the ground. I could see right through the middle of that majestic tree. One side died and the other side kept living but the whole tree had to come down. It was my shade tree where there was no other shade. While mowing in the heat it would be 5 or 10 degrees different between the sun and the shade. Hated to see it go.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    We had a big oak that size. Had is the operative word here. It was all by itself. Big lighting storm came through and yep, it got hit. Split the oak right down the middle from the top to within 5' from the ground. I could see right through the middle of that majestic tree. One side died and the other side kept living but the whole tree had to come down. It was my shade tree where there was no other shade. While mowing in the heat it would be 5 or 10 degrees different between the sun and the shade. Hated to see it go.
    But then you made a baseball bat out of it and won the world series, right?
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    And that's why I posted this here......Good points about not disturbing it too much.

Of course I realize that trees DO have a finite life......so along that line - anyone have any idea what a tree like this might actually be worth to sell should it have to come down? It's actually in an area that would be fairly accessible for logging equipment.

Assuming the insides aren't hollowed out it's got to be some desirable wood.

There are a number of other large oaks (both standing and fallen) on the property as well, but I know it was all logged about 40 years ago so they obviously left a few granddads standing when they cleared it out.
    Last edited by sstlaure; 03-13-2018 at 08:26 AM.
    -Scott-

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 957 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sstlaure View Post
    And that's why I posted this here......Good points about not disturbing it too much.

Of course I realize that trees DO have a finite life......so along that line - anyone have any idea what a tree like this might actually be worth to sell should it have to come down? It's actually in an area that would be fairly accessible for logging equipment.

Assuming the insides aren't hollowed out it's got to be some desirable wood.

There are a number of other large oaks (both standing and fallen) on the property as well, but I know it was all logged about 40 years ago so they obviously left a few granddads standing when they cleared it out.

I am by far, not an expert. But some friends up the road logged their woods last year. It hadn't been touched in at least 50 years. The loggers left all the big trees like your's as they said the trunks weren't straight enough and all the big branches coming off the main trunk wouldn't yield enough desirable wood. They seemed to cut younger stuff that was straighter and had more higher canopy branches, but still had a good trunk diameter. Jim Timber, Treefarmer, CADplans.......does all of that sound right to you?
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 5 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast