Newbee needs help! How to grade/level dirt/yard prior to grass.
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By neiltcasey
  • 1 Post By Drifterbike
  • 5 Post By Treefarmer

Thread: Newbee needs help! How to grade/level dirt/yard prior to grass.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 12:59 AM
    Thanks

Newbee needs help! How to grade/level dirt/yard prior to grass.

Hi so I searched the forums and havent found an exact answer for my problem. Short version is I have 2.25 acres that I just built a house on. 100% clay. Rear 1.75 acres slightly slopes towards my house. and has 2 hills, one im paying a guy to remove which is over a gas pipeline, the second I am going to conquer.
    Rear of lot has about a 4 foot drop off over about 150 ft so my goal is to push the crown of the hill towards the rear and smooth it all out.

Fun part, I bought a 2018 1025R TLB, depressing part, I am actually stuck at not knowing the right tools or steps to basically remove the crown of the hill. I have a tiller, buddy has a rear blade, not sure best or most efficient way to do this. Crown of hill is about maybe a foot ish high over around 100 feet by about 200 ft wide.

So basically looking for what attachment is needed to help me grade. Then ill figure out how to use it.

Also while im writing a post.

Anyone have tips on best way to clear brush and then smooth out dirt with the TLB? Manually cut/pulled out brush with my truck last year and then mowed and paid a guy to use a harely rake to smooth it all out. Problem is Harely rakes are expensive as H and none locally I could find to use/rent. Looking to do everything myself.

Lastly, anyone have tips on best way to move a newly planted B&B tree? Township planted one right where my future drive will be for my future polebarn...was thinking of getting bucket hooks and a strap to lift out....however any tips are helpful.

Again I am sorry for being such a noob. I have always done things manually before and now that I have an expensive tool I feel kind of lost.

Thanks!!
    Oscar Leroy likes this.
    2018 1025R R3 tires, Premium LED Work Light Kit, Warning Light Brush Guard Kit, Imatch Quick Hitch, 120R FEL, 260B Backhoe, JD 47" Snow Blower, JD 60" MMM, Frontier RT1149 Tiller, Frontier BB2048 Box Blade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    watch videos from everything attachments on the use of a box blade. I think they work about the best for all around dirt and gravel.
    Oscar Leroy likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Drifterbike For This Useful Post:

neiltcasey (04-03-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks
    Well, for starters... Clearing brush can be done with a toothbar attached to the bucket. Think BIG sawblade. I have this one BXpanded Piranha Toothbar

and I cleared out a lot of overgrown blackberries and stuff from behind my barn. It cuts them off well and tends to make snags that stay together 'till you get to your dump pile. It also helps the bucket dig into the dirt.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 9MMMAC For This Useful Post:

neiltcasey (04-03-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:00 PM
    Thanks
    I would look at long term uses and figure it out from there. It depends on how much dirt you are looking at moving but I have done this with my X585 equipped with the FEL and a box grader. It wasn't as big of an area though. We hauled in the new dirt mainly because we removed a bunch of white pines that were next to the building and the soil was pretty acidic from the pine so grass wouldn't grow well. The FEL/BB combo did a good job of spreading and smoothing out the dirt. It was seeded and straw mats laid over it to keep the erosion in check until the grass could grow.

You could try a rear blade but the problem with them is kind of like with plowing snow, the dirt just rolls off the sides.

In my case I was hauling dirt in not moving it. Not sure how far you are moving it but maybe try tilling it to break it up. Then use the FEL to move it to a trailer then dump in the area where you want it. If it was a short distance you could move it in the FEL.

I just haven't delt with much clay so I don't know what that means for the process. It may make things a little more difficult.
    Last edited by sennister; 04-03-2018 at 12:17 PM.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

neiltcasey (04-03-2018)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:24 AM
    Thanks

Lots of practice

Quote Originally Posted by neiltcasey View Post
    Hi so I searched the forums and havent found an exact answer for my problem. Short version is I have 2.25 acres that I just built a house on. 100% clay. Rear 1.75 acres slightly slopes towards my house. and has 2 hills, one im paying a guy to remove which is over a gas pipeline, the second I am going to conquer.
    Rear of lot has about a 4 foot drop off over about 150 ft so my goal is to push the crown of the hill towards the rear and smooth it all out.

Fun part, I bought a 2018 1025R TLB, depressing part, I am actually stuck at not knowing the right tools or steps to basically remove the crown of the hill. I have a tiller, buddy has a rear blade, not sure best or most efficient way to do this. Crown of hill is about maybe a foot ish high over around 100 feet by about 200 ft wide.

So basically looking for what attachment is needed to help me grade. Then ill figure out how to use it.

Also while im writing a post.

Anyone have tips on best way to clear brush and then smooth out dirt with the TLB? Manually cut/pulled out brush with my truck last year and then mowed and paid a guy to use a harely rake to smooth it all out. Problem is Harely rakes are expensive as H and none locally I could find to use/rent. Looking to do everything myself.

Lastly, anyone have tips on best way to move a newly planted B&B tree? Township planted one right where my future drive will be for my future polebarn...was thinking of getting bucket hooks and a strap to lift out....however any tips are helpful.

Again I am sorry for being such a noob. I have always done things manually before and now that I have an expensive tool I feel kind of lost.

Thanks!!
    In reverse order- it's easy to get a tree out of the ground unless you want to replant it and have it live. That's much harder, lol. I would use your backhoe and dig the appropriate hole where the tree should be. Then I would use the hoe to dig outside of the hole that the tree is in and carefully try to get a tarp or burlap under the tree. Tie the tarp or burlap around the root ball and then lift using straps.

A tooth bar is the best tool for brush. You are going to want one for digging into your clay anyway. A good operator with the backhoe can scrape it off the top of the ground and not dig in but that takes practice. It's easier to set the loader bucket with a tooth bar down flat on the ground and then very slightly angle the bucket down. Drive forward and with a little touch the brush will come out.

Moving the dirt is going to be a bit harder since it's clay. You can dig it with either the backhoe or the loader bucket and move it with the bucket. However, moving large amounts of dirt in a relatively small bucket is a slow process. It's ok for small amounts but it will take you some time for large amounts and if the distance is long. I would probably suggest using a box blade with the rippers down to loosen that clay up. You may or may not have enough power and traction to both rip and drag a box blade full of dirt in the same pass. If the clay is tight, you probably can't do that in which case you can rip first and then drag. It's also easier to load a bucket with loose dirt than maintain a good grade with a loader in tight soil.

The best advice I can give you is the only way you are going to learn your new equipment is to run it. You will make mistakes so start moving dirt in the more private areas of the yard, not next to the house. If you make a hole, practice filling it in. If you leave a high spot, cut it down some. It's great to watch videos, read tips etc. but at some point you've got to get on the machine and learn for yourself. Go slow. Go so slow that you feel like you are crawling but pay attention to the machine. If you are using the loader, try to cut a 1-2" smooth cut with the FEL. If you are using the backhoe, cut to a flat grade. If you get a box blade, try it with the cutting edge down and rippers up and vice versa and pay attention to what it's doing. Get used to the machine and get comfortable getting the grade right before trying to get any speed up.

Treefarmer
    Tomfive, mwfromva, Bumper and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

goat704! (04-03-2018), neiltcasey (04-04-2018)

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    I cant speak to the brush, but Ill be following for info on that, as Ive got some (a lot) to get rid of myself. Thinking Bxpanded toothbar too, but like look/function of a real toothbar, but they are also more money.

As to the clay, we have quite a bit here in Indiana. If it were me, and I had a tiller, Id remove your brush, then Id go after it with the tiller when its not wet. Moving it with the loader once its broken up will be a piece of cake.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

neiltcasey (04-04-2018)

14. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-13-2019 @ 04:23 PM
    Thanks
    Last year I had opportunity to grade, add top soil, and seed about 1 1/2 acres after home construction. I am by no means an expert but one thing I did learn was that using a CUT with a box blade and FEL can do a lot for you. However, a soil pulverizer that can break down the lumps of dirt/clay left by the box blade would have provided a significant improvement to my finished grade. FWIW.
    Acreage owners (city boy married to country girl).
    6 Acres total. 3 Acres Bush Hog. 2 Acre Finish Mow. 200' Gravel Drive. Large Garden. No Trees.
    JD 3038e, D160 FEL, RC2060, BB5060.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements