Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Project: Driveway and Retaining Wall

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks

Project: Driveway and Retaining Wall

I have some nasty potholes in my gravel driveway. I am unsure if the driveway has a proper "base" of large gravel beneath the top layer we all see. My mom and dad always just brought in more tailgated gravel when it was needed but the same potholes always come back in the same spots.
    To complicate matters, when the driveway wraps around the side of the house, there was a railroad tie retaining wall built. From my gravel driveway to the bottom of the gulley is about 3ft. The retaining wall is rotting, failing, and is need of a different solution (it lasted about 25 years). I want a permanent solution for the retaining wall, thinking either bring in fill dirt and build it up or pay $$$ and have a beefy concrete wall poured (my guess this will cost $5k). My concern with fill dirt is creating a soggy condition in my neighbors yard.

What are my options for the driveway and the retaining wall?

I would like to knock out one of these project this year.

3038e, loader, ballast box, back blade, and tiller. I suspect I will need to buy a box blade...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Levi, BigJim55, Robnik and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Thanks
    I would use a box blade and use scarifiers to rough it up first then get a load of rock and spread it and try to pack it down. When it rains drive the heavest unit with wide tires and pack it down. has far has the railroad ties go either spend a lot of money or start over with ties level and buried in the ground If they lasted 25 years that's a lifetime for me.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 7 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Thanks
    Well, the retaining wall is seeing lots of force from the driveway being close. It would probably be better to move the retaining wall a little further away from the driveway. Whatever you use to build the retaining wall, you need allot of drainage stone behind the wall.

I have retaining wall blocks that I used for all my retaining walls with lots of drainage stone behind and geogrid every other course that holds the wall into the backfill.

https://www.nitterhousemasonry.com/w...-1-Sq.-Ft..pdf

As far as the driveway, put a 2A modified base, roll it good, and pave it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140903_165414.jpg   IMG_0958.jpg  
    mjncad, ColonyPark, Levi and 10 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (04-09-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    I would use a box blade and use scarifiers to rough it up first then get a load of rock and spread it and try to pack it down. When it rains drive the heavest unit with wide tires and pack it down.
    I agree. It's almost impossible to just fill a pot hole and have it last. The new material just doesn't bind with the old.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    So if I really scarfier the crap out if it, do I need to remove the loose stuff and start from scratch? Or can I pack the bejesus out of it after I scarfier the crap out of it and I'm done?

Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts
    I agree with Ray on the retaining wall, I built one with those blocks for our basement entrance which is also right beside the driveway. Bury the first layer and drill holes and drive some heavy ribar down through to lock the base layer and just fill and build. As for the driveway, well, paving that would be costly. But get a box blade and work the base real good then top with a few inches of limestone crusher run. If you know anyone with a vibratory roller wet it down and hit with that, it will out live you.
    mjncad, ColonyPark, Levi and 5 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
    So if I really scarfier the crap out if it, do I need to remove the loose stuff and start from scratch? Or can I pack the bejesus out of it after I scarfier the crap out of it and I'm done?

I was always taught to take a dirt driveway or road down to the lowest point. So whichever pot hole is the deepest, try to get the rest of it loosened up to that point. Once you've done that, then you can pack it down and add to it.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, ColonyPark and 7 others like this.
    2012 JD 2320
    1985 JD 318
    1952 JD MC
    1974 IH 784 4WD

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ctrider For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (04-08-2018)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    have to agree what everyone else here has said about using a BB and take it down to the lowest point. One thing I would add to these comments is to taper your driveway once you are done. You seem to have a pretty flat driveway. Where water lays is where your potholes will begin. I had the same problem with my 900+ foot driveway. I use a BB took it down to the base, tapered the drive to make a slight crown in the driveway. Then brought in some dirty crush and run spread it with the FEL and the BB then ran a yard compacter over it that weight about 350 - 400 lbs. That was 5 years ago and I have yet to have a pothole show up. As for the wall, block, wall pavers and good drainage like everyone else said.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

13. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrider View Post
    I was always taught to take a dirt driveway or road down to the lowest point. So whichever pot hole is the deepest, try to get the rest of it loosened up to that point. Once you've done that, then you can pack it down and add to it.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks guys! Now on to hunting a decent deal on a box blade, willing to travel!

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast