Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Chain saws

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-14-2015 @ 10:50 PM
    Thanks

Chain saws

Hey guys I'm in the market for a nice saw. I'm looking to purchase a good size piece of land to build a house onion the next year or two, so the saw will see daily use at that time. Then will be a weekend warrior for fire wood and clean up along with atv and deer trails. I'd prefer to stay stihl as the dealer I deal with services them along with about every other dealer around here. I've been eyeing the ms 261 cm and ms391. What do you guys think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Stihl is a good saw, no matter which one you get. Whatever you do, never, EVER buy a Husqvarna!
    HydroHarold and Levi like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-22-2018 @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks
    I got a Stihl 250 with an 18" bar and after using it for a few years I realized I should have gotten a small saw for limbing and a bigger one for trunks so I don't get tired out using the bigger guy on the small stuff.

This spring I also got a 180. Cheap but sooooo much lighter for the little stiff. Now to just get the bigger saw......
    Last edited by mjarmstr; 11-01-2014 at 07:37 PM.
    Levi likes this.
    - Mike

2014 1025R

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:05 PM
    Thanks
    If I only wanted 1 or 2 chainsaws, I stick with Stihl. I own 5 Stihls plus a Stihl pole saw (I happen to like chainsaws). My most used saw is a 50 cc Dolmar, equivalent to a MS 261. Dolmar is German made and I just wanted to try another brand. I've never tried Husquvarna, but I hear they are good saws too.

If you can swing the price, get a professional saw, more power per pound and should last a non-professional user a lifetime. But at least stick with one of the major 2 brands (Stihl or Husky), use premium fuel (non-ethanol if available) and a good 2-cycle oil (preferably synthetic).

But above all, be safe, use PPE.

Just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post
    I've never tried Husquvarna, but I hear they are good saws too. .
    Not any more. They cylinder head in my Rancher 455 blew out in just about 5 hours of use, the dealership was nice enough to take it all apart, cylinder head and all, and throw it all back in my case, in individual pieces, and was courteous enough to tell me that the burned up piston was not under warranty (less than 3 months old, and under 5 hours). All because I could not prove that I used Husqvarna 2 stroke oil in my gas.

No kidding. $400 down the drain in less than two weeks, and I did use the Husqvarna 2 stroke oil.
    Green Man, farmgirl19 and Levi like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonton View Post
    Not any more. They cylinder head in my Rancher 455 blew out in just about 5 hours of use, the dealership was nice enough to take it all apart, cylinder head and all, and throw it all back in my case, in individual pieces, and was courteous enough to tell me that the burned up piston was not under warranty (less than 3 months old, and under 5 hours). All because I could not prove that I used Husqvarna 2 stroke oil in my gas.

No kidding. $400 down the drain in less than two weeks, and I did use the Husqvarna 2 stroke oil.
    I believe husqvarna owns Poulon Pro as well. I've had a leaf blower and chain saw from Poulon Pro go bad in less than a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    farmgirl19 and 5304 like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesetrain View Post
    I believe husqvarna owns Poulon Pro as well. I've had a leaf blower and chain saw from Poulon Pro go bad in less than a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nuff said.
    farmgirl19 and Levi like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    As others have said, Stihl is a great saw. Husky isn't bad either, but I prefer Stihl.

The MS261 is a pro-grade saw. I would opt for it before a 391, which is a step below. Depending on your budget and what you want to cut, an MS362 might be a good choice. It's a pro grade saw, but with a bit more power.
    farmgirl19, Levi and DeereNC like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonton View Post

I didn't want to badmouth a brand I don't have any experience with, but I occasionally visit the arboristsite web site. Like green/orange/red/blue tractors everyone has their favorites, good and bad experiences. A lot of Husqvarna fans and a lot of Stihl fans there.

Sorry about your chainsaw, but that may be a dealer thing too. I burned the piston on my Dolmar on the first tank, the saw came too lean from the factory ... Germany with non-ethanol gasoline. The US ethanol mix just put it over the edge. My dealer changed the piston and cylinder and retuned the carb, no arguments, and the saw has been great ever since. Sometimes saws are just tuned a little off from the factory.

I happen to like Stihl saws.

More 2 cents.
    dieselshadow, farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-06-2017 @ 07:26 PM
    Thanks
    Been very happy with my Husqvarna 460 Rancher. Love the hate on here for specific names!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Will- 2013 1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM.
    USMC 1833
    1992-1996
    SEMPER FI!!!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast