Mower deck- synchronized blades?
Like Tree18Likes
  • 3 Post By 9MMMAC
  • 10 Post By AlKozak
  • 2 Post By 9MMMAC
  • 1 Post By PJR832
  • 2 Post By sennister

Thread: Mower deck- synchronized blades?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks

Mower deck- synchronized blades?

So... I took my blades off for the new season sharpening. That went well. Now, does it matter how I put the blades back on? When I took the blades off, they were in somewhat of an order- each one was within 45 degrees of the other.

When I put them back on, I put all of them on vertical- each blade runs from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock. I also spun them by hand a bit to make sure there were no clearance issues.

I also thought about installing them in a "cascading" or "sweeping" pattern to whisk the clippings out the chute.

Does it make any difference at all?
    BigJim55, Robnik and Fozsey like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMMAC View Post
    Does it make any difference at all?
    None. Unless the deck uses a timing type belt along with the gear style pulleys, there is no way to keep them in sync anyway.

Al
    Kennyd, BigJim55, mark02tj and 7 others like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks
    Ok, thanks. Guess it's kinda like the "keep your AR's gas rings staggered" hoopla. Sure you can stagger them, but a few shots is gonna have them all twisted around.
    PJR832 and goat704! like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,234 Posts
    We should consider ourselves lucky that we don't, my FIL's Kabota they have to be set just a certain way (they do provide a diagram), and if you don't get them just right it becomes the biggest POS you've ever seen, clumping and bogging down the tractor.
    goat704! likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    I don't worry about it much but when mounting mine I normally do the outside ones at 12-6 and the middle one at 3-9. It is easier to reach and when it comes time to swap them again they are never timed. They are just randomly where ever they happened to stop. I mainly do that because it is a further reach to that middle one and for the outer ones easier to hold the blade there while running the impact. I also can't pull the deck on a ZTrak so I am working on my back.

A bigger issue is to get the blade mounted right. I was in a hurry last time I swapped them out and must have missed the step in the spindle a bit and tightened the blade a bit out of whack. I started mowing and the entire machine shook pretty bad. I shut it right down and went back and reset all of them and it was fine.
    PJR832 and goat704! like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    I don't worry about it much but when mounting mine I normally do the outside ones at 12-6 and the middle one at 3-9. It is easier to reach and when it comes time to swap them again they are never timed. They are just randomly where ever they happened to stop. I mainly do that because it is a further reach to that middle one and for the outer ones easier to hold the blade there while running the impact. I also can't pull the deck on a ZTrak so I am working on my back.

A bigger issue is to get the blade mounted right. I was in a hurry last time I swapped them out and must have missed the step in the spindle a bit and tightened the blade a bit out of whack. I started mowing and the entire machine shook pretty bad. I shut it right down and went back and reset all of them and it was fine.
    Yup, did that once last summer after cleaning and sharpening mine.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements