• 3 Post By Cutty72
  • 2 Post By J3 Driver

Thread: Large Garden Seeding

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-22-2018 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

Large Garden Seeding

I am at the research stage of this right now and planning for next years growing season.

Has anyone used a food plot seeder for garden planting?

I have seen the single row, 2 row, 3 row etc hand push style mechanical seeders, I'm just wondering what some of you have done for Seeding larger areas with your tractor?

Looking to start a u pick garden on the farm and trying to figure out what piece of equipment will work best with less back labour. Unfortunately not sure where to start for something that would be manageable with my 4044m
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Thanks
    How big is the proposed garden?
    1 acre? - 100 acres?

What crops do you want to plant?

Some planters are only designed for a narrow range of seed sizes,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    A lot of what I would be looking to plant would be carrots, potatoes, lettuce, celery, radish, onion, peas, beans, beets, cucumber, sweet potatoes, pumpkins.

They would be planted in patches or strips that the planter could accomplish. The end goal would be to have 1/2 acre or larger section of each type.
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 01:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 75AD View Post
    A lot of what I would be looking to plant would be carrots, potatoes, lettuce, celery, radish, onion, peas, beans, beets, cucumber, sweet potatoes, pumpkins.

They would be planted in patches or strips that the planter could accomplish. The end goal would be to have 1/2 acre or larger section of each type.
    Peas and beans you could do with a planter of sorts, as they grow in rows anyway.

The spacing to allow for spread of pumpkins and cucumbers may counter the ability to use a planter.

Potatoes will require a completely different type of planter due to seed size.
    Also, carrots, lettuce, celery, and onion have very small seeds that will be difficult to meter properly with a planter like you are referring.

My thoughts, though I could be way off as I'm using knowledge of equipment from 10+ years ago...
    BigJim55, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:25 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    For corn, beans and peas a JD71 works well. Not sure about the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Thanks
    The 71’s run plates for seed singulation, the 7000 runs a meter. There are different plates or meter available for seed sizes, the smallest seeds they do are small sunflower and we have had some luck with broom corn through it but they are still much larger than most vegetables. Your stuck with a 7” spacing but there are something you can do to change it but not easy to do quickly or switch back and forth quickly. You can remove the seed box and meter easily and have someone drop small seeds or pumpkin seeds at a spacing you want into a funnel put in the seed tube. I believe I could also relieve all the tension of the closing wheels and strap them up, then just let the double disk v openers leave a seed channel that seeds could be put in by hand and covered.

There is a brand of planter that I cannot remember that can singulate radish and other vegetable seeds and other tiny seeds. I don’t know how it does it but I would like to see how it does.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails johndeere2038rwith7000planter(planting)060317.jpg  
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Thanks
    I am actively searching for an old 71 sitting in a fence row I can pickup cheap. I love restoring/building stuff like that. If I can pickup a 6 row and build 3 - 2 row 3pt planters, I will have two to sell. Otherwise, if you want to buy one all done, they are all over the internet. Even Ebay.
    Last edited by Spartazoo; 04-26-2018 at 11:02 AM.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Does anyone here have experience with the Jang brand seeders?
    I found these as an alternative to a jd 71. JD 71 are a little harder to find up here especially in decent condition. I have found one long term positive review(6 years and no problems) just curious if anyone else has heard of these and what your experience has been with them.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements