Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: transplanting trees

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 05:32 PM
    Thanks

transplanting trees

What is the best way to transplant naturally growing trees? We have a lot of open area on our new farm and i would like to plant a few tree to break up some of our fields. We have a ton of small hardwood trees that are approximaintley 1-2'" diameter and 6-10 feet tall that i would love to dig up and move. Is that possible to do without killing them?

What would be the best process? What is the best time of year? Would i need to rent of backhoe to do a job like this? I have a 3025e but no hoe for it. I would only do many 5-10 depending on how much work it is. Some of the trees i want to move are pretty expensive to go buy so if i can do it for free with what i naturally have growing would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Different trees have different needs but, as a general rule of thumb, you are best off doing it while they are dormant over the winter months. The ideal tool is a nice big tree spade but it can be done with a backhoe or excavator. I transplanted some willows mid-summer once just by ripping them out of the ground and planting them again. Some trees are very forgiving.

If you Google the type of tree you can usually find out that species typical root ball so you'd know what you'd be dealing with.
    OxPath, keane, RetiredDoc and 1 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

danmc48 (04-18-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Thanks
    Do you know anybody around with a tree spade you could hire to move them? Sometimes it's best to pay for the right equipment if you can afford it.
    OxPath, keane and Robnik like this.
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to grnspot110 For This Useful Post:

danmc48 (04-18-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grnspot110 View Post
    Do you know anybody around with a tree spade you could hire to move them? Sometimes it's best to pay for the right equipment if you can afford it.
    Good idea but the main idea is to do this at cheap as possible. I could just go buy some tree, the nursery near me as their trees 50% off right now, but i really don't want to spend money on this, just time.
    grnspot110, OxPath and Robnik like this.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Different trees have different needs but, as a general rule of thumb, you are best off doing it while they are dormant over the winter months. The ideal tool is a nice big tree spade but it can be done with a backhoe or excavator. I transplanted some willows mid-summer once just by ripping them out of the ground and planting them again. Some trees are very forgiving.

If you Google the type of tree you can usually find out that species typical root ball so you'd know what you'd be dealing with.
    Problem is I mostly don't know what type of trees they are. There are no mature trees on this part of my property for me to be able to guess what they seeded from. Is there a general rule for how big a root ball should be? How far down do i need to dig?

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danmc48 View Post
    Problem is I mostly don't know what type of trees they are. There are no mature trees on this part of my property for me to be able to guess what they seeded from. Is there a general rule for how big a root ball should be? How far down do i need to dig?
    Some send tap roots straight down 20'-30'. Others are shallow rooted trees. That's why it helps to figure out what they are and look them up.

If they've got leaves on them tear one or two off and take them to a local nursery.
    grnspot110 and Robnik like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

danmc48 (04-18-2018)

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Thanks

It's certainly possible

We have a large scale nursery close by that uses both hand digging and tree spades. The process for hand digging is theoretically easy. Draw a circle around the tree trunk and start digging. You will want to go as deep as the diameter of the circle. Work canvas or burlap under and around the ball, tie tightly and pick up with the loader.

It's much, much easier to move small trees than large ones, lol.

Treefarmer
    grnspot110, mark02tj and keane like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

danmc48 (04-19-2018)

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:21 AM
    Thanks
    I was listening to our local "Garden Talk" show on the radio over the weekend. Someone called in about transplanting and planting trees in general. The host - who is a certified arborist - said that it takes 1-1.5 years per inch of caliper (ie - tree diameter) for the tree to get over the shock of being transplanted and to start growing again. So, the bigger the tree, the longer it takes to get over the shock of being moved. His illustration was 2", 4", 6" and 8" trees all being moved and replanted at the same time. 10 years later, the 2" tree had outperformed all the rest. I bring this up to say that you might want to look for the smaller trees which would be easier to dig and move.

As others have said, take some leaves to a nursery (or post them here) and someone can probably tell you what kind of trees you have and how wide/deep you need to go to dig them out.

Another general hint for anyone looking for trees at a nursery - open a wholesale account and get your stuff 30-60% off. I ended up buying a "Nurseryman's License" from the Ohio Dept. of Ag for $125/yr which saves me several times that when making tree purchases.
    OxPath, BigJim55 and goat704! like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

danmc48 (04-19-2018)

16. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danmc48 View Post
    Good idea but the main idea is to do this at cheap as possible. I could just go buy some tree, the nursery near me as their trees 50% off right now, but i really don't want to spend money on this, just time.
    Many years ago I had replanted a crimson king tree twice before, shown right behind the ballast box. I think it was about 3" in diameter the last time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0209.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	594666

Again many years ago, the maple tree behind the building, I dug it up in the woods and replanted it. It was about 2" in diameter when I dug it up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tack Room12_1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	594674

IMO, the trick is to get as much root as possible and make the new hole about twice the size you need.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

danmc48 (04-19-2018)

18. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    danmc48, Fertilizer spikes are your friends.
    grnspot110, OxPath and BigJim55 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

danmc48 (04-19-2018)

20. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast