Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Lawn Fertilizer and Weed Killer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Thanks

Lawn Fertilizer and Weed Killer

I have a 40 gallon Fimco 3 point sprayer that I use to spray my lawn. I am working on getting my lawn back in shape and was curious as to what brand of the following are you using.

1. Liquid Lawn fertilizer
    2. Liquid pre-emergent
    3. Liquid weed killer

PJR832 likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Thanks
    I have Zoysia. I use, MSMA, Select or triplet 24D, it has 3 types of 24D, atrazine, pendimethalin. Usually I will mix all together in late spring when it's getting warm by midmorning. I use a local AG chemical co, CPS. Helena chemical would be good too. Stay away from co-op hi-yield stuff, it's just not as good. Get the 7.5 pound MSMA or similar.

I don't use liquid or solid fertilizer! I do burn my yard off in late winter to help with the thatch break down.
    Last edited by 1010; 05-13-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    OxPath and PJR832 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    I have a 40 gallon Fimco 3 point sprayer that I use to spray my lawn. I am working on getting my lawn back in shape and was curious as to what brand of the following are you using.

2. Liquid pre-emergent
    3. Liquid weed killer

Granular urea put down in the fall with a spike aerator and pulling a core aerator right behind it with my zero. MEC Amine-D for all weeds put down in the spring.
    OxPath, BigJim55, Ray_PA and 6 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    Pendulum / widematch tank mix in the spring for pre-emerg on sandburs and control of established broadleaf weeds.

Twice a year (until I get the yard in shape) 20-20-10 granular.

Spot spray as needed.

Helped a lot last year, but winter was tough on the grass, so we'll see how it goes this year.
    OxPath, Ray_PA, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks

2. Liquid pre-emergent
    3. Liquid weed killer

I have the same sprayer and 5 acres of coastal bermuda horse pasture. I have to use what is best for my grazing horses.

Liquid fertilizer - typically way more expensive than granular per pound of nitrogen per acre, so I don't use it. But for a small lawn the convenience of using the sprayer for everything and not needing to buy a spreader/seeder might balance this out. A plus for me is that I mix Extinguish Professional fire ant control with the granular fertilizer and spread it all at once.

Liquid pre emergent - I don't use this either as many have grazing restrictions. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Liquid weed killer - I use GrazonNext HL. Plain old 2,4-D is way less expensive, but most horse people I know use a 7 day no graze time even though the literature says it can be grazed on immediately. If you have just an ornamental yard with no animals 2,4-D will do a decent job for you.

The best way to decide what to use is to identify the weeds that you want to control, and pick specific agents for them. And of course, will not kill off your lawn grass. What grass is your lawn?
    OxPath and Herminator like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 AM
    Thanks

2. Liquid pre-emergent
    3. Liquid weed killer

I have the same sprayer for my 1025r.

1. Never used liquid fertilizer. I have a 3pt broadcast spreader so I use granular.
    2. Liquid pre-emergent. I am Scott's fan so the only pre-emergent I use is Scott's fertilizer/crab grass formula.
    3. Liquid Weed Killer. In the spring I spray Trimec Classic to knock down clover, other broad leaf pests, and any dandelions that decide to invade. When crabgrass pops in late summer, if it is bad enough, I add Drive XLR8 to the formula.
    Last edited by Spartazoo; 05-14-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    OxPath, Ray_PA and Herminator like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Thanks
    Same sprayer. My yard has mostly a pasture blend. It eventually takes over yards here.

I use Crossbow for weeds.

We are still deciding whether we want to make some topsoil hills for planting. Maybe kidney shaped beds to break up the flat.

I just patch seeded some areas today with mulch over them. A week of 70° F coming.

I am open to landscaping ideas
    Last edited by rakane; 05-14-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    OxPath, Ray_PA and Herminator like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Thanks
    Fertilizer, granular.

Weed killer. Amimine which is a 2-4-D product sometimes. It does a good job but only stunts clover. I usually use speed zone which is safer for people and will take out any broadleaf including legumes like alfalfa and clover. I usually mix in cyanara a bug/ant killer as well for the lawn. I find if I can keep the ants down in the yard it takes them longer to get to the sidewalks. I get both of these at FS.
    OxPath likes this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    GrazeonNext, that's good stuff.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    OxPath and Herminator like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks

2. Liquid pre-emergent
    3. Liquid weed killer

How nice do you want it.Weed killer I use 2-4D Lesco 3 three way same as the triplet just another brand.You need a wetting agent to help coat the leaf like clover to get max kill.You can get it at Site One in Harrisburg.https://www.siteone.com/home/locations.aspx
    I use the Lesco Stonewall granular pre emergent in the spring.
    As for lawn fertilizer I've used Milorganite (you can get at a big box store) The Lesco 20-0-3.
    I'm trying some new product from Green County Fertilizer (N-Ext product).I have one application of of RGS and Humic acid and are getting great results.
    These two guys I've been following one youtube,GCI turf,Pete is a pro lawn care that uses these products and has some of best looking TTT fescue.Matt from thr Grass Factor is a pro that has the science behind turf chemicals and uses the N-Ext products.
    OxPath and Ray_PA like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer