Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Tree and Stump Removal

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks

Tree and Stump Removal

I have some small trees that i want to remove on my property. I am trying to thin out my woods area behind my house for a little more "park like" area. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the trees. Most of the trees that i want to get rid of are at most 8" in circumference. I have been able to just pull some of the smaller ones out with my tractor, but not the bigger ones, because a lot of them are closer together, and the root systems are all interconnected. I have a 3025e, and no backhoe. I really don't want to dig up all of them with the loader. Is there any easier way to get these out, without damaging my tractor?

I saw a video online where a guy some some block and tackle to pull out a MASSIVE stump with a small 1 series like tractor.
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    8” in circumference equals only 2.5” in diameter. Pulling small trees like that would be pretty simple with a chain and a wheel/rim as shown in the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3aiErElwrxA
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

danmc48 (05-18-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danmc48 View Post
    I have some small trees that i want to remove on my property. I am trying to thin out my woods area behind my house for a little more "park like" area. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the trees. Most of the trees that i want to get rid of are at most 8" in circumference. I have been able to just pull some of the smaller ones out with my tractor, but not the bigger ones, because a lot of them are closer together, and the root systems are all interconnected. I have a 3025e, and no backhoe. I really don't want to dig up all of them with the loader. Is there any easier way to get these out, without damaging my tractor?

I saw a video online where a guy some some block and tackle to pull out a MASSIVE stump with a small 1 series like tractor.
    I'll be interested to see the replies.

Search for "stump bucket" on YouTube to see videos of it being done.

Once you break up the roots on the periphery there isn't much left that holds them in place. At least you have a lot more leverage to get the stump out at that point. I wonder if something as simple as a subsoiler would be sufficient for the job.

Al
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Thanks
    I'm guessing he meant 8" in diameter, not circumference.

Did you do that math in your head, Stan? I could have easily told you the circumference from the diameter or radius, but going the other way would have required some cipherin' with a pencil and paper. Or at least with Google!
    BigJim55, Robnik and GWT3046r like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post

Did you do that math in your head, Stan? I could have easily told you the circumference from the diameter or radius, but going the other way would have required some cipherin' with a pencil and paper. Or at least with Google!
    Once upon a time......but yeah - Google was my friend. It has made me lazy!

If that is the case and they being 8” diameter nothing but a backhoe I am thinking.
    mark02tj and Robnik like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Thanks
    Years ago I cut off some locust trees to allow Bush-Hogging a field. I purposely left the stumps at waist height so that I could see them through the briars during subsequent mow sessions. After acquiring the property four years ago, I began using a chain and my tractor's drawbar or largest four-wheeler and attached the chain as high as possible on the stump to increase the lever force on the stump. Soft ground helps with stump removal also, such as in the springtime or after a rainy period.

Good luck,

Brian

Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PikeCoGreenTractorMan For This Useful Post:

danmc48 (05-18-2018)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    8” in circumference equals only 2.5” in diameter. Pulling small trees like that would be pretty simple with a chain and a wheel/rim as shown in the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3aiErElwrxA
    Great! Just the type of tip i was looking for! Now i just got to find a wheel.
    Robnik likes this.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    I'll be interested to see the replies.

Search for "stump bucket" on YouTube to see videos of it being done.

Once you break up the roots on the periphery there isn't much left that holds them in place. At least you have a lot more leverage to get the stump out at that point. I wonder if something as simple as a subsoiler would be sufficient for the job.

Al
    I've looked into both of those, but i don't have the room to work around the trees right now. Very tight working area until i open it up.
    Robnik likes this.

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post

Nope, meant circumference. Pretty small trees.
    Robnik likes this.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Great! Just the type of tip i was looking for! Now i just got to find a wheel.
    You can create the same effect with something like a piece of 6x6 lumber - put a notch in the top of it for the chain to rest in. Then position the 6x6 vertically slightly leaning toward the tree with the chain in the notch and pull.

You can be creative to find something to use that will work. The main thing is to get upward force on the base of the tree - enough to at least get it started - then lateral movement is fine to pull it the rest of the way out.
    BigJim55, mark02tj, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

15. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

danmc48 (05-18-2018)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast