Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: "Pond" dredge

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks

"Pond" dredge

I live on the outlet of a lake. The bottom near my shoreline is essentially 2 to 3 feet of semi-decomposed organic matter.

I tried using a 3" trash pump and separate fire hose pump as a makeshift dredge. The fire hose loosened and suspended the bottom matter OK, but the suction screen on the trash pump plugged up almost instantly. Removing the screen (there are no rocks) clogged up the trash pump just about as instantly.

I'm looking for alternative ideas. The water isn't very deep - waist high after you sink into the gunk - and the area I want to clear isn't very large. I have a 30 foot dock and I'd be happy just clearing a bit over boat width on either side. I can't get a tractor too close to the water's edge without sinking - about 20 feet. I was thinking of making a scaled down dragline using a 55 gallon drum that I could pull through the stuff with a long chain attached to the tractor. A benefit of having grown male adult children is that I can conscript them into the job of dragging the empty dredge back out into the water to the starting point after dumping the spoils.

This isn't a lot different than dredging a small pond with the exception that I obviously can't drain the body of water. I can afford to be inefficient since it is a small area. Shovels are out of the question if I wish to have a continuing relationship with my kids.

Any fresh ideas out there?

Al

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 07:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    I live on the outlet of a lake. The bottom near my shoreline is essentially 2 to 3 feet of semi-decomposed organic matter.

I tried using a 3" trash pump and separate fire hose pump as a makeshift dredge. The fire hose loosened and suspended the bottom matter OK, but the suction screen on the trash pump plugged up almost instantly. Removing the screen (there are no rocks) clogged up the trash pump just about as instantly.

I'm looking for alternative ideas. The water isn't very deep - waist high after you sink into the gunk - and the area I want to clear isn't very large. I have a 30 foot dock and I'd be happy just clearing a bit over boat width on either side. I can't get a tractor too close to the water's edge without sinking - about 20 feet. I was thinking of making a scaled down dragline using a 55 gallon drum that I could pull through the stuff with a long chain attached to the tractor. A benefit of having grown male adult children is that I can conscript them into the job of dragging the empty dredge back out into the water to the starting point after dumping the spoils.

This isn't a lot different than dredging a small pond with the exception that I obviously can't drain the body of water. I can afford to be inefficient since it is a small area. Shovels are out of the question if I wish to have a continuing relationship with my kids.

Any fresh ideas out there?
    Al
    Several years ago, when I was working, we used a gas powered sludge pump to pump debris from manholes, storm water ponds, and the like. It didn't have an impeller, but used a diaphragm as the pumping mechanism. The intake of debris was on the up cycle and it was expelled on the down cycle. It would pump just about anything we stuck the intake hose into. You may be able to rent one. My only other suggestion would be something similar to a pump truck, the type that pumps out underground sewage tanks. I know they will pump heavy sludge and debris too but I don't know how you'd get your hands on one.
    JD 4066r with H180 Loader
    3rd SCV for Grapple
    Pat's Quick Hitch
    Brown 6'4" Disc Harrow
    Kodiak 5' Medium Duty Brush Cutter
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Numerous Other Misc. Attachments

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    Sounds like a good Family Project. Keep us informed what happens
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Good&Green View Post
    Several years ago, when I was working, we used a gas powered sludge pump to pump debris from manholes, storm water ponds, and the like. It didn't have an impeller, but used a diaphragm as the pumping mechanism. The intake of debris was on the up cycle and it was expelled on the down cycle. It would pump just about anything we stuck the intake hose into. You may be able to rent one. My only other suggestion would be something similar to a pump truck, the type that pumps out underground sewage tanks. I know they will pump heavy sludge and debris too but I don't know how you'd get your hands on one.
    I had thought about a diaphragm pump. The issue with this gunk is that it has a lot of vegetative matter in it - sticks, twigs and long stringy weeds - that I'm afraid would be just as likely to clog the valves even in that type of pump. If I could find one to rent maybe it is at least worth a try. I have 2 neighbors that want to do the same thing but they are waiting for me to be the guinea pig, errr, trailblazer.

Al
    ColonyPark and GWT3046r like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    You say you live at the outlet,,,
    rig up an 8 or 10 inch siphon,, no pump is needed,,,
    stir up the bottom with your fire hose pump, the sludge will siphon right out of the pond.

A 10 inch pipe will empty the pond in a hurry,, unless there is a big in-flow,,
    you would need to do it several times,,

There is almost zero chance the siphon pipe could ever clog,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    "There is almost zero chance the siphon pipe could ever clog,,,"

I love the ALMOST Zero% Good luck
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    05-16-2019 @ 05:32 PM
    Thanks
    My friend owns a dredging company called Keene engineering they make suction nozzles that will pick up anything and not get clogged it's a Venturi effect you run water fast past an opening and water gets drawn into the opening and continues on down, it's how we dredge gravel to look for gold you should be able to fabricate something that would achieve the same thing
    Yamaguy and aj1hadley like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    You say you live at the outlet,,,
    rig up an 8 or 10 inch siphon,, no pump is needed,,,
    stir up the bottom with your fire hose pump, the sludge will siphon right out of the pond.

A 10 inch pipe will empty the pond in a hurry,, unless there is a big in-flow,,
    you would need to do it several times,,

There is almost zero chance the siphon pipe could ever clog,,,
    The lake is natural. There is an impound dam about 1/4 mile away from me that enhances the level by a couple of feet, but a pure siphon would not work in my yard unless I dug a big hole. I'm familiar with, and thought about, a lift siphon (don't know what they are formally called, but similar to what is used in excavating shipwrecks) but they require quite a bit of compressed air to make them work. I don't need to attract too much attention here, if you catch my drift.

Al

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Guess an excavator is out

Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    The lake is natural. There is an impound dam about 1/4 mile away from me that enhances the level by a couple of feet, but a pure siphon would not work in my yard unless I dug a big hole. I'm familiar with, and thought about, a lift siphon (don't know what they are formally called, but similar to what is used in excavating shipwrecks) but they require quite a bit of compressed air to make them work. I don't need to attract too much attention here, if you catch my drift.

Al
    LOL, my thought was to rent an excavator but nothing like a 60,000 lb machine to attract attention. On the other hand, your neighbors might want their shorelines cleaned. . .

Treefarmer
    GWT3046r likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Thanks
    My daughter lives in Missouri in a subdivision that is below the main sewer lines for their city's sewage system. So their sewage must be pumped up out of their subdivision to get into the main system. Their home has a "grinder" pump that takes the sewage from their home and pulverizes it into slurry for easy pumping (which takes place away from their property). A grinder pump might work for you if clogging from material is your problem.
    Last edited by keane; 05-23-2018 at 11:15 PM. Reason: typo fix
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast