Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Need Suggestions for fixing ruts/unevenness

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-04-2018 @ 01:50 PM
    Thanks

Need Suggestions for fixing ruts/unevenness

I purchased my house a couple years ago. It sits on ~1.5 acres. The previous owners rode dirt bikes, drove trucks and everything else through the yard and completely ruined it. There are ruts that go clear up to the axles of truck. Other sections, like where the redid the septic system are kidney hurting when mowing. There are some sections where it dips down a foot and then back up within a five foot length. I have a 1025r with a backhoe, bucket, box blade. I need some suggestions and best course of action to take to help level this! I'm thinking maybe getting a tiller and tilling it all and using the box blade to move from the high areas to low areas? Maybe a land plane? It's all grown sod/weeds. Attached is the image of where I need to fix. It's around an acre or so that needs repaired.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DHtG6af.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	624530

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks
    What equipment do you have???

OR,,,

What amount of are you willing to spend??
    mjncad, BigJim55, Marlin and 1 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Thanks
    That is my fix. Run the rototiller over it several times and level it off with the landscape rake.
    ejb69, BigJim55, Marlin and 3 others like this.
    3520, Sicma 74 tiller, 12Kw PTO gen, 72"auto connect deck, 300cx FEL, 61"HD w/JD toothbar & 6ft snow pusher, JD Ballast box w/Extension, Land Pride FDR-2584 finish mower,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    What equipment do you have???

OR,,,

What amount of are you willing to spend??
    I have a 1025, with bucket, backhoe, box blade. I am open to spending some money to buy some new equipment.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, Marlin and 1 others like this.
    1025R TLB, 2048L box blade, 60MMM w/ mulch kit & independent lift, Behlen Country PHD w/ 4ft 12" auger, KK XB 48" Tiller, 5' no name rear blade.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by otis147 View Post
    I purchased my house a couple years ago. It sits on ~1.5 acres. The previous owners rode dirt bikes, drove trucks and everything else through the yard and completely ruined it. There are ruts that go clear up to the axles of truck. Other sections, like where the redid the septic system are kidney hurting when mowing. There are some sections where it dips down a foot and then back up within a five foot length. I have a 1025r with a backhoe, bucket, box blade. I need some suggestions and best course of action to take to help level this! I'm thinking maybe getting a tiller and tilling it all and using the box blade to move from the high areas to low areas? Maybe a land plane? It's all grown sod/weeds. Attached is the image of where I need to fix. It's around an acre or so that needs repaired.
    Have you tried the box blade yet, I’d try and work that before buying another implement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigJim55, Ray_PA, Marlin and 3 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    Have you tried the box blade yet, I’d try and work that before buying another implement.

I have not yet. I dont know how it will work with the sod still there. I'm worried all the sod will just bunch up and not fill in like loose material will.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    1025R TLB, 2048L box blade, 60MMM w/ mulch kit & independent lift, Behlen Country PHD w/ 4ft 12" auger, KK XB 48" Tiller, 5' no name rear blade.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts

Need Suggestions for fixing ruts/unevenness

I have not yet. I dont know how it will work with the sod still there. I'm worried all the sod will just bunch up and not fill in like loose material will.
    It should if you break it up with the scarafiers I would think. Yes there are probably better ways to do it but for me I would just take my time and use what I have. Even the bucket on the FEL if you have a tooth bar can be a useful tool in that situation.

Gizmo2, BigJim55, Marlin and 3 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

Rip it first

Run the box blade with the scarifiers down and the back tilted up so you are basically just ripping it. Run it one way and then cross at 45 degrees and then again at 45 the other way from your first run. That should break up the sod well enough to be able to level out most issues. In very extreme cases, you may have to bring in additional soil.

You have the tools necessary to accomplish the task but hey, things can always be done faster or better with more toys. . .tools. If you want to spend rest assured you can get lots of help here.

Treefarmer
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, Ray_PA and 9 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-10-2018 @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks
    What Treefarmer said! X2.

You can always create a poor man's harrow to smooth out the box blade work with an old piece of chain link fence and cinder blocks stack on it for weight.

Good luck-- I had the same issue-- and I found they buried their "trash" under the motocross "berms."

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    If you're willing to spend the money, maybe just get a few tons of fill dirt and fill the ruts and low spots?
    mjncad, Gizmo2, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements