Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Redo entire lawn

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Thanks

Redo entire lawn

Hopefully I am in the right forum here but I am planning to re-seed my entire lawn. As of right now not sure what grass is there and I have got the weeds pretty much under control. I know you can just spread topsoil over the entire lawn and seed with rake in etc...however, I have a 1025r and dying to get that more involved. I was thinking of tilling entire lawn as I have very uneven grounds that I would like to grade. Just looking for advice and best way to approach it.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 06:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbull2002 View Post
    Hopefully I am in the right forum here but I am planning to re-seed my entire lawn. As of right now not sure what grass is there and I have got the weeds pretty much under control. I know you can just spread topsoil over the entire lawn and seed with rake in etc...however, I have a 1025r and dying to get that more involved. I was thinking of tilling entire lawn as I have very uneven grounds that I would like to grade. Just looking for advice and best way to approach it.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I've been thinking of doing the same, last summer decimated our lawn, now I have large patches that I'm not sure will fill in. We are having hotter and drier summers, and I'm going to rip and restore with a more drought tolerant variety of lawn grass.

My plan of attack is: 1) about a month or maybe a month and a half before seeding, mow the grass as short as possible, remove the clippings. 2) two applications of roundup about a 10 days apart to kill everything, 3) lightly till the soil (~2"), 4) level the ground, 5) sow the seed, 6) work the seed into the soil.

My start time will begin around July 20th or maybe August 1st, I'll see what the weather pattern looks like. Last fall I applied seed around the middle of August and it say dry until early October. Some seed germinated, but not as well as I'd like.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    I was going to redo my lawn last fall, but things got in the way. So it is on my radar for this fall. I have had the best luck putting down seed after Thanksgiving. That trick was told to me by a professional lawn service guy. My plan is to use my rotary pull behind seeder to spread some seed, probably fescue, then disk it up, followed by harrowing it to smooth it out. My ground is very rough and that is part of the reason why I will be doing this. Secondly, I have very poor grass and that is the other reason. I will be killing two birds with one stone, using that old phrase. I am still undecided about running my 7 1/2 foot roller over it after the harrow.

Dave
    PJR832 likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Thanks
    I will be watching this one as I too need a whole new lawn.
    Most of my current "yard" has either been waste ground near the bar for the last 100 years or in hay crops.
    BigJim55, Oscar Leroy and PJR832 like this.
    TheOtherChris
    1890 Farm House and Barn Renovation
    My New 1025r FILB now with 54" MMM
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks and seat springs
    Piranha tooth bar
    Hawkline 48" rotary tiller by Behlen Country
    72" back blade by Behlen Country
    42" forks and quicktach frame by Titan
    60" box blade by Massey
    Bomgaar's (by Fimco) 40 Gallon 3ph boom sprayer

There is a fine line between Tractor Nirvana and the Implement Poorhouse

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 1,202 Posts
    Count me in for following this one closely, I'd love to till and level my entire yard but the summers are a very busy time of the year for us. Maybe a fall job. A soil pulverizer would be the tool to have for this, burn it off with round up, till it to break up the sod and run a the pulverizer over it to level.
    Last edited by PJR832; 06-04-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    BigJim55, Oscar Leroy and ctrider like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-16-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Me too! I'm in the process of spreading a ton of fill. I've done 12 -15 loads so far and more coming as I type. My original 4 acre lot was a thick pine grove. last year I was in the process over grinding/removing over 120 stumps. Now there are large low spots. The town is ditching the road, so I asked about having it dumped in my yard. I've scraped a lot fo top soil before they started.
    Last edited by ctrider; 06-04-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    2012 JD 2320
    1985 JD 318
    1952 JD MC
    1974 IH 784 4WD

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    Add me to the mix as well. My yard is terrible! I just ran the disk over a half acre of it and spread some seed and then hit it with the disk again to cover the seed.
    It left the ground a little choppy but I'm hoping over time that it smooths over. The disk is all I have and my soil is primarily clay so it really needs to be broken up.
    I have a lot of work to do! Interested to see how everyone tackles this and the ultimate outcome .
    BigJim55, Oscar Leroy and PJR832 like this.
    2016 3039R 165FEL / Woods RM660 / Fimco 40gal 3pt / Frontier 1060 Aerator / Frontier subsoiler / 3 pt spreader / HLA pallet forks / 6ft blade / 6ft Lucknow 3pt snowblower / $50 boom pole that never gets used anymore

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    07-20-2018 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    Here is what i have done so far. . I did a test section.

I tilled it up. .probably about 4 or 6 inches deep. I know probably too deep but it was my 1st time using my new tiller. Looked like this when i was finished.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180505_103940(0).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	625690

then I used my push seeder and put 25 pounds of seed down (lesson here don't wait till after it rains to do this the seeder wont work correctly because of mud), Then I put some straw down.

11 days later it looked like this. getting so close..!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180530_171926.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	625698

not sure if the weeds will come back since I didn't do the round up 1st. Still learning. I have lots more of my yard to do if this works at expected.
    2014 1025R with 60" mower deck and FEL. My 1st real tractor

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 1,202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradgto View Post
    Here is what i have done so far. . I did a test section.

I tilled it up. .probably about 4 or 6 inches deep. I know probably too deep but it was my 1st time using my new tiller. Looked like this when i was finished.

then I used my push seeder and put 25 pounds of seed down (lesson here don't wait till after it rains to do this the seeder wont work correctly because of mud), Then I put some straw down.

not sure if the weeds will come back since I didn't do the round up 1st. Still learning. I have lots more of my yard to do if this works at expected.
    It's coming along just fine, and the weeds would come back with or without the round up.
    BTW, tilling is fun, so going a little deep is just more fun.
    BigJim55 and flyweight like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 06:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bradgto View Post

It's a fickle dance to seed when it's dry then pray that it rains, but not too much or too hard!!!! For 11 days, your new grass looks awesome!

Worry about the weeds when the turf is established...
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast