Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Poison ivy in 5 acre field

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-03-2019 @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks

Poison ivy in 5 acre field

A relative bought a small farm last year with a 5 acre field. Poison ivy is everywhere. They mowed it last year and it came back in spades.

How can you get rid of this much poison ivy? I have read about roundup for Poison Ivy but that's a lot of Roundup and alot of spraying.

thanks

C.R. Sides
    Last edited by crsides; 06-16-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    John Deere 5310

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crsides View Post
    A relative bought a small farm last year with a 5 acre field. Poison ivy is everywhere. They mowed it last year and it came back in spades.

How can you get rid of this much poison ivy? I have read about roundup for Poison Ivy but that's a lot of Roundup and alot of spraying.

thanks

C.R. Sides
    We have almost 5 acres, and MEC Amine-D will work just fine.

PJR832 likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Find someone with a LOT of goats and set them loose on it. Once they knock it down, clear the goats out and get in there and spray.

If it is that infested there is no easy way to attack it. I get a little of it growing in my back yard and I can mark it and then dig it out come fall when it goes dormant but I don't think there is any way to control that much of it through that process. Sounds like it needs an all-out frontal attack.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crsides View Post

thanks

C.R. Sides
    I have about 3 acres of poison ivy on our current property, and had about the same on another property....the upside is that deer and game birds love it. Our conservation officer said it would be best to leave it, so I did, and will be putting a deer stand over the field for early season hunting.

If you need to remove it, control is best achieved while the plants are flowering (May - July here in Missouri). Glyphosate works well during this period, and is cheap. It is not unusual to have to use a second or third application. For vines along fence rows and trees, cut and spray the stump. 6-12 ounces of 41% Glyphosate per gallon is the recommended ratio for poison ivy (Georgia Extension office). This is higher than typically used for grass and weed kills.

The "organic" solution is cutting it down. Poison ivy does not tolerate repeated cutting or mowing. Mow short and mow often. Or you can till the area, then treat the new sprouts, then come back and seed with something you want. Continually cutting poison ivy short will eventually (years) bring it under control.

Poison Ivy is a pain (I am just recovering from a bad rash over 1/3 of my body), but it is not an invasive species, which his something to be thankful for!
    Last edited by 356; 06-17-2018 at 07:08 AM.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks
    Just leave it be. A lot of wild life, like deer can and will eat it. We have a lot of poison ivy on our up north property. It hasn’t been much of a problem for us. We do spray it with 2 4d near the buildings when we notice it .
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Spray sticker

Quote Originally Posted by 356 View Post
    I have about 3 acres of poison ivy on our current property, and had about the same on another property....the upside is that deer and game birds love it. Our conservation officer said it would be best to leave it, so I did, and will be putting a deer stand over the field for early season hunting.

If you need to remove it, control is best achieved while the plants are flowering (May - July here in Missouri). Glyphosate works well during this period, and is cheap. It is not unusual to have to use a second or third application. For vines along fence rows and trees, cut and spray the stump. 6-12 ounces of 41% Glyphosate per gallon is the recommended ratio for poison ivy (Georgia Extension office). This is higher than typically used for grass and weed kills.

The "organic" solution is cutting it down. Poison ivy does not tolerate repeated cutting or mowing. Mow short and mow often. Or you can till the area, then treat the new sprouts, then come back and seed with something you want. Continually cutting poison ivy short will eventually (years) bring it under control.

Poison Ivy is a pain (I am just recovering from a bad rash over 1/3 of my body), but it is not an invasive species, which his something to be thankful for!
    With the shiny leaves, spray doesn't "stick" well so I would recommend using a spray sticker which is usually just a soap variation. For this instance, I would pay for a commercial product.

If you have grass you want to keep, use 2,4,d instead of glyphosate but again use a sticker. Given a bad infestation, you are likely going to need multiple applications as new plants arise. Neither glyphosate or 2,4,d has a residual germination inhibitor they only kill what they hit and then only if the plant is actively growing. Don't bother spraying in the middle of a drought, it's a waste of time and money.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    With the shiny leaves, spray doesn't "stick" well so I would recommend using a spray sticker which is usually just a soap variation. For this instance, I would pay for a commercial product.

If you have grass you want to keep, use 2,4,d instead of glyphosate but again use a sticker. Given a bad infestation, you are likely going to need multiple applications as new plants arise. Neither glyphosate or 2,4,d has a residual germination inhibitor they only kill what they hit and then only if the plant is actively growing. Don't bother spraying in the middle of a drought, it's a waste of time and money.

Treefarmer
    Threefarmer is right! You must use a surfactant to get the chemicals to adhere to the plants. I've never heard it called a "sticker" but I like that term. The plants must also be actively growing.

Here is the surfactant product I use when mixing glyphosate. This company has gotten a lot of my money in the past year (see posts on my carpenter bee battle), and has great customer service. It's also available in every farm store. Although dish soap is a surfactant, some ag agencies (and our Missouri Private Forester) believe the soap might negatively interact with the herbicide. I used soap until this past year, but believe the burn is noticeably better using the commercial surfactant.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 356 View Post
    Threefarmer is right! You must use a surfactant to get the chemicals to adhere to the plants. I've never heard it called a "sticker" but I like that term. The plants must also be actively growing.

. Although dish soap is a surfactant, some ag agencies (and our Missouri Private Forester) believe the soap might negatively interact with the herbicide.

I used soap until this past year, but believe the burn is noticeably better using the commercial surfactant.
    Times have changed, but,, surfactants,,Hmmmmmm,,

We used it in Virginia,, in the 1970's,, and called it "sticker"

The farm had it delivered in a 55 gallon steel drum,, guess what company sold it to us??

AMWAY!!,,
    I would bet it was dish washing soap,
    It was clear, and unscented,, but, it would also wash anything,,,

I have three favorite "stickers", and use which ever happens to be in the shed at the time,,,

1) purple cleaner,, any of them, they are all great surface tension breakers,,,
    2) Greased Lightning,, I buy that in 5 gallon jugs at Lowes,, works great.
    3) Dawn dish-washing liquid,, I get it in half gallons at Sams Club

I see a great benefit from using any of them,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    goats, and sheep will also eat it.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

It could always be worse

We've recently been blessed to have some Giant Hogweed show up in Virginia. It makes poison ivy seem tame by comparison.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/giant-h...-other-states/

Treefarmer
    IndianaJim, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast