Leveling a pool pad: getting rid of small (1-3¯¯¯) rocks?
Like Tree25Likes
  • 8 Post By Herminator
  • 4 Post By CADplans
  • 5 Post By Gizmo2
  • 1 Post By klunker
  • 3 Post By balrog006
  • 2 Post By BigJim55
  • 2 Post By rw580

Thread: Leveling a pool pad: getting rid of small (1-3¯¯¯) rocks?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks

Leveling a pool pad: getting rid of small (1-3”) rocks?

All, I cut into my lawn a little bit with my box blade to put in a temporary above ground pool which is fifteen feet across. I’m trying to finish the leveling with my box blade - it’s slow going and quite tedious work.

Despite hand raking, 1-3” rocks continue to appear right at the surface. My understanding is that these will shred a liner even if flush with the ground.

I ordered a bottom-liner-protector which is apparently a 1/8” piece of felt that is cut to the exact dimension of the pool

Any advice for what implement to use to get rid of these small rocks and leave the earth intact? I don’t want to disturb the soil much (want to avoid disturbing the compaction). Something I can scrape across the surface that would basically just loosen rocks and make them easier to handrake or whatever? (Again, the surface area isn’t massive only fifteen feet across)

Have read not to build the area up with virgin soil. (may shift/settle and the rocks will work their way to surface)

I have access to a Ratchet Rake (have yet to use it), landscape rake (doesn’t fit well, being replaced soon), box blade, and piranha toothbar.

My concern with the landscape rake other than the fact that I would manually have to remove my I match and manually pin it on, is that it likes to dig itself in if the gauge wheels flex at all

Will ratchet rake be useful for this at all?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    I would take it down 2-3 extra inches and backfill it with 2-3” of sand.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    That is exactly what the installer did on my 24' pool,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    When I install our 15ft pool (years ago) I made a level spot, dug down another ~6" or 7", filled with ~3" of crusher run and packed the heck out of it, added ~3" of mason sand.
    Back filling with crusher run you can make it table top level.
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 06-20-2018 at 06:09 AM.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with having a couple inches of sand on top.

If that is not in your future here is something that may help.

I made a drag before planting 2 acres of land for native grasses/forbs to loosen the top inch or so of soil for seeding.

I took a sturdy skid (approx 4' x 4') and screwed 5) 2 x 4 to the bottom of the skid. The 2 x 4 had 1/2" lag bolts screwed thru them resulting in approx 1" sticking out on the bottom side. I used about 8-9 lag bolts per 2 x 4 evenly spaced but staggered from 2 x 4 to 2 x 4 so that there was a lag bolt approx every 1" as I dragged over the ground.
    You may have to add weight to the skid. It did a good job of pulling rocks up out of the ground. You may want to drag it once, pick up the rocks on top and drag again and pick up rocks again. Keep repeating till no more rocks appear. I did this with 2 acres so I only picked the bigger rocks (maybe a fist size) so they wouldn't be a problem for future mowing. Its alot of work but it'll only loosen the top inch of soil or so and it tends to leave the rocks on the surface.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jermedic View Post
    All, I cut into my lawn a little bit with my box blade to put in a temporary above ground pool which is fifteen feet across. I’m trying to finish the leveling with my box blade - it’s slow going and quite tedious work.

Despite hand raking, 1-3” rocks continue to appear right at the surface. My understanding is that these will shred a liner even if flush with the ground.

I ordered a bottom-liner-protector which is apparently a 1/8” piece of felt that is cut to the exact dimension of the pool

Any advice for what implement to use to get rid of these small rocks and leave the earth intact? I don’t want to disturb the soil much (want to avoid disturbing the compaction). Something I can scrape across the surface that would basically just loosen rocks and make them easier to handrake or whatever? (Again, the surface area isn’t massive only fifteen feet across)

Have read not to build the area up with virgin soil. (may shift/settle and the rocks will work their way to surface)

I have access to a Ratchet Rake (have yet to use it), landscape rake (doesn’t fit well, being replaced soon), box blade, and piranha toothbar.

My concern with the landscape rake other than the fact that I would manually have to remove my I match and manually pin it on, is that it likes to dig itself in if the gauge wheels flex at all

Will ratchet rake be useful for this at all?

Thanks
    It’s neigh on impossible to move, disturb, collect, gather or coax rocks from a compacted surface without disturbing the surface or maintain the compaction. Your best bet is to remove as many as you can that protrude and fill over with some sand as stated above for a good, compact, level, rock free base.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    yes-u need sand to back fill so to protect the liner for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    When I install our 15ft pool (years ago) I made a level spot, dug down another ~6" or 7", filled with ~3" of crusher run and packed the heck out of it, added ~3" of mason sand.
    Back filling with crusher run you can make it table top level.
    same idea-can not leave just plain dirt -well u can-but i gar-run-tee ur liner will not like u-and start to leak then-just as ur starting to enjoy that nice cool water on a 99+ day.

take more dirt out-back fill with sand-good sand too.
    Gizmo2 and Herminator like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:03 AM
    Thanks
    I know of one guy who went out and bought several of the stall pads you can get at TSC, Rural King and other ag stores, and he used that as the base for his pool. All he did was nuke the grass with Round-Up, shaved it to the ground with a string trimmer, laid down the stall pads, then installed the pool. No worry about rocks or other objects on the ground cause the pads are fairly thick.
    Gizmo2 and johncanfield like this.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements