• 1 Post By KeyboardJungle
  • 2 Post By Gebada22

Thread: Glyphosphate and marker dyes

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 AM
    Thanks

Glyphosphate and marker dyes

I need to do a fair amount of spot spraying in my yard to kill off grassy weeds and would like to use a marker dye to keep track of where I have sprayed.

From what I have read, the effectiveness of glyphosphate is sensitive to water chemistry. Apparently, glyphosphate molecules can bind to other molecules that are present in hard water, reducing it's efficacy. There have even been suggestions that this phenomenon is often misinterpreted as herbicide resistance.

Based on the above, I am wondering if marker dyes might negatively impact the herbicide. I have read the labels for marker dies as well as gly, and not found anything definitive. From the glyphosphate label:

Agriculturally-approved colorants or marking dyes may be added to this product. Colorants or dyes used in spray solutions of this product may
    reduce performance, especially at lower rates or dilutions. Use colorants or dyes according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.

None of the dye labels that I have looked at address the effect of the product on glyphosphate activity.

Does anybody know or had experience using marker dyes with gly?
    Last edited by KeyboardJungle; 06-21-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, no problem.

I bought a herbicide applicator that does just spot application instead of spraying a mist.
    I use it with a foaming agent and the dye.
    Works great.

Here is a link to where I get it.

https://www.greenshootsonline.com/co...-foaming-agent
    Last edited by klunker; 06-21-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klunker For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (06-21-2018), rakane (06-21-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klunker View Post
    Yes, no problem.

I bought a herbicide applicator that does just spot application instead of spraying a mist.
    I use it with a foaming agent and the dye.
    Works great.

Here is a link to where I get it.

https://www.greenshootsonline.com/co...-foaming-agent
    Thanks, Klunker. the link isn't working at the moment, but I'll try again later.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    I've used a bue marker dye from Tractor Supply mixed with RoundUp spot spraying the past three years without any problems. I also add some surfactant to the mix.

I use a funnel shaped device over the pray tip to minimize drift. Not this one, but found this on Amazon to give you the idea.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	635218

I also use a battery powered backpack sprayer (uses 20V Black and Decker batteries) I found at Lowes. It holds 4 gallons. Sure beats having to maually pump. A charged battery is good for at least 4 refills, which is about at the limit of my physical endurance lugging the backpack around.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sprayer.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	635210

I've considered spot spraying with the hose on my Fimco 40 gallon 3-point sprayer, but I'm reluctant to put RoundUp in it. Also, it doesn't give as limited a spray as the backpack sprayer.

By the way, the marker dye will stain your shoes and pants legs a nice shade of blue, as well as your skin. It wears off the shoes pretty quickly, and washes out of the pants. You will have blue skin for a day or two.
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 06-21-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredDoc For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (06-21-2018)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    I've used a bue marker dye from Tractor Supply mixed with RoundUp spot spraying the past three years without any problems. I also add some surfactant to the mix.

I use a funnel shaped device over the pray tip to minimize drift. Not this one, but found this on Amazon to give you the idea.

I also use a battery powered backpack sprayer (uses 20V Black and Decker batteries) I found at Lowes. It holds 4 gallons. Sure beats having to maually pump. A charged battery is good for at least 4 refills, which is about at the limit of my physical endurance lugging the backpack around.

I've considered spot spraying with the hose on my Fimco 40 gallon 3-point sprayer, but I'm reluctant to put RoundUp in it. Also, it doesn't give as limited a spray as the backpack sprayer.

By the way, the marker dye will stain your shoes and pants legs a nice shade of blue, as well as your skin. It wears off the shoes pretty quickly, and washes out of the pants. You will have blue skin for a day or two.
    Thanks, RetiredDoc. I use a 12 volt 25 gallon spot sprayer that I picked up about 30 years ago. I put it in either a garden type wagon and pull it around by hand, or set it in the FEL, depending on what I have to spray. I keep a spare 12 volt battery around to power it - yes, it sure beats a pump sprayer, but for the yard, the backpack would be easier to move around with, and there wouldn't be a hose dragging through the product.

I like the funnel tip guard. That one is new to me.

I may have to use roundup in my 3 point sprayer for a fall project, but I think that I'll be OK because I only use it for herbicides. A little gly residue left in the tank may make my 2,4D applications a bit hot, but as long as I'm not spraying fruit trees, I don't expect anything too catastrophic.
    Last edited by KeyboardJungle; 06-21-2018 at 01:00 PM.
    RetiredDoc likes this.
    Dave

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I was also going to suggest a surfactant - can’t hurt.

As for changing chemicals in your sprayer during the season, there is a rinsing agent that works quite well and is made for just that purpose. Fairly cheap at Tractor Supply and I’m sure at other outlets.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...r?cm_vc=-10005
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Thanks
    Why not use a selective herbicide, if you have a enough spray work/job then get a 15-25 tank and a boom. And use a hand sprayer for spots is what I do. They will last a life time if you keep it out of the sun, and can just replace the motor if something happens to it, but again if you flush everything with clean water it'll last a long time.

I don't use gly in my boom sprayer just the small one and that's all it sprays.
    I mean we aren't talking a lot of money really for small hand sprayers.
    I also have a dedicated hand sprayer for the selective herbicide.
    Most/all gly has surfactant already is what I've always been told. Read the label.
    I did have a anti drift surfactant (like for low windy days) that looks like glue when it's sprayed.
    I got it from a chemical co, Crop Production Services = CPS. I don't use the hy-yield stuff for this reason, I want the good stuff so I'm not spot spraying as much and I get solid results the first spray.
    Now I just use crop oil with my selective herb and it's been great so far.

If you really want to get rid of weeds and have nice clean grass, go to a local state extension service and take the private applicators course, it'll teach you a lot, lean all the lingo and keep you from doing dum stuff. It's like half day and around $20.
    It'll also get you a license to purchase herbicides.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
    Why not use a selective herbicide...
    Because I'm trying to eliminate patches of perennial grassy weeds; selective herbicides only work on broad leafs. I have a 60 gallon boom sprayer, but for small jobs like this, I prefer to use my 12 volt spot sprayer.
    RetiredDoc likes this.
    Dave

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 12:15 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like a fun project. I do not believe you will run into any chemistry issues with the marker dye, mix rates are very low. In addition to running a non-ionic surfactant in your mix, I would suggest looking into ammonium sulfate. Ammonium sulfate is used to condition the water in your tank mix to increase the effectiveness of glyphosate. This is usually an issue with hard water which can reduce the effectiveness. Lots of material out there to look at. One of the best sources I have found is AgPhd YouTube channel. Primarily focused on the ag, but they do address residential yards a bit. I think you will find their content extremely helpful.
    RetiredDoc and KeyboardJungle like this.
    John Deere 2011 2320, 200CX FEL, JD 46 BH, IMatch, RC1048, Countryline 6' Back Blade, Countryline 5' Rototiller, Ken's Bolt on Hooks, JD Ballast Box, Artillian Pallet forks, Grapple and Diverter, Bro-Tek Wheel Spacers, ROPS Warning Flag, Millcreek 63" Aerator, JD 21 Utility Trailer, 6ft Brillion Cultipacker.
    John Deere 2004 325
    John Deere 2017 X590

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gebada22 For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (06-22-2018)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements