Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Bulk mulch delivery

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks

Bulk mulch delivery

Where is the best place to have them dump 10 cu yds, on a tarp, gravel driveway, in the grass? I plan to scoop it with the tractor and dump in the flower beds around the house.

Also is $35/cu yrd delivered a good price for black dyed hardwood chips?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Robnik and PJR832 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 02:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckteeth445 View Post
    Where is the best place to have them dump 10 cu yds, on a tarp, gravel driveway, in the grass? I plan to scoop it with the tractor and dump in the flower beds around the house.

Also is $35/cu yrd delivered a good price for black dyed hardwood chips?

i would say the grass would be best.
    Hard to get it off a tarp without snagging the tarp and you will never get it out of the gravel.

Price, I was surprise when someone here compared buying mulch by the bag was about the same. While spreading it with a tractor is fun, the ability to dump it bag by bag exactly where you want it could be easier.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:04 AM
    Thanks
    The grass is probable the best of your options, as long as the pile won't be there long enough to smother the grass. $35.00 / yard delivered in my area is not unreasonable for good hardwood mulch.

I'll add my unsolicited 2 cents about mulch:

10 yards is a lot of mulch. A full size pickup's 5 1/2 ft. bed will hold just about 2 yards of loose mulch, not heaped and level from bedside to bedside. An 8 foot bed is good for about 3 yards. Most trucks can't legally carry a full bed of loose (damp) mulch, but you get the idea of the volume.

I've been buying mulch at Lowe's the last few years. When it's on sale, a 2 cu. ft. bag is $2.00. That puts you at $27.00 / yard. I only use a yard per year and prefer the bags over loose mulch for the ease of use and the quality of the mulch. We still use the tractor to transport the bags to the gardens, but then it's spread a bag at a time, which is no more work than spreading loose mulch a shovel at a time.

I'd have a dilemma if I needed 10 yards to spread around. I have a small dump-truck and can buy bulk mulch for $25 / yard. It's produced locally at a facility that manufactures building trusses. They use their scrap pine and also accept brush and trees from municipalities and the public and grind and dye on site. I haven't viewed their process, but I suspect that their mulch is still somewhat "green" and subject to decomposing, as the one year I did use it, the lower layers became moldy and formed a mat at the ground. Around the trees it wasn't a big deal, but it couldn't have been good for my bride's garden plants. For that reason, I consider their product inferior to any of the bagged mulch I've bought and I'd probably pay the extra money even if I had to have Lowe's deliver pallets of their bags.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 957 Posts
    I agree with what has been said here. Up until 2 years ago, I bought 5 yards in bulk every year. I was able to have it delivered for $38/yard and dumped on my asphalt driveway in the turn around. It would actually turn the driveway surface the color of the mulch...."cherry brown". I switched to bags, mainly for cost savings as I do what OxPath does, and it's cheaper.I've also put down decorative stone around the pool, it's called TimberLite, to lessen the amount of mulch we use. I'm down to 30 bags now, and still use the tractor, and no mess. Next year will be more as we've decided to switch to black mulch.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks
    My SIL had it dumped under an apple tree,,
    what was left on the ground looked like mulch for that tree,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts
    We too used to buy bulk but have switched to bags, finding it much easier to distribute, but to answer your question I would dump it in the grass and move it quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the responses, the Mulch Man was able to get his dumper in an area around the back of the house that we planned to mulch so cleanup will not be an issue, i suspect we will need another 10 yards to cover the parameter of our home. I'm thinking 135-270 bags would have been hell. I plan to use the tractor to distribute the mulch after I spray all these weeds.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    i would say the grass would be best.
    Hard to get it off a tarp without snagging the tarp and you will never get it out of the gravel.

Price, I was surprise when someone here compared buying mulch by the bag was about the same. While spreading it with a tractor is fun, the ability to dump it bag by bag exactly where you want it could be easier.

Bulk mulch is only cheaper as a contractor. My listed price is about 12-20% off retail/bagged, depending on quantity.
    ColonyPark and PJR832 like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
    Bulk mulch is only cheaper as a contractor. My listed price is about 12-20% off retail/bagged, depending on quantity.
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around why bagged mulch is cheaper than bulk...

ColonyPark and PJR832 like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckteeth445 View Post
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around why bagged mulch is cheaper than bulk...

Volume movement.

Keep in mind, in almost all cases, most equipment moving mulch around is designed for much heavier aggregate. That's a bunch of wasted diesel and more expensive maintenance. Whereas bags of the stuff go through a machine, which then the bags are skidded: Skids are incredibly cheap, light, and easy to ship anywhere in the world. Not to mention, almost no product loss happens, as opposed to the floor of bulk mulch piles.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to firemachine69 For This Useful Post:

buckteeth445 (07-16-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast