• 1 Post By balrog006
  • 1 Post By blue87fj60

Thread: What is eating my tree leaves?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Thanks

What is eating my tree leaves?

5 trees in my yard have been decimated by whatever is doing this. All within the last two weeks. I have never seen any insects on the trees. I just come out to find the treet totally mutilated. I've also seen large trails of ants marching up this tree. I took care of the ant problem, but clearly the ants didn't do this. I suspect the ants were going after aphid honeydew, but my googling doesn't lead to this being aphid damage. Please help. What is doing this and what do I need to do to slaughter them?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tree-1.jpg tree-2.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    japanese beetles.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Thanks
    Bingo. Googled that and the images are a dead on match.

I just did a broadcast treatment of Talstar on Sunday morning with my 40 gallon boom sprayer towed behind the 425. Applied at 1oz/1000sqft across the whole yard, plus the garden beds and I hosed down the trees I could reach. I did it mainly for ants, ticks, etc. It looks like Talstar will kill adult Japanese Beetles too, so I hope I dealt a major blow to the population. If not, this is war and I intend to win.
    Tomfive, keane, blue87fj60 and 4 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post

I just did a broadcast treatment of Talstar on Sunday morning with my 40 gallon boom sprayer towed behind the 425. Applied at 1oz/1000sqft across the whole yard, plus the garden beds and I hosed down the trees I could reach. I did it mainly for ants, ticks, etc. It looks like Talstar will kill adult Japanese Beetles too, so I hope I dealt a major blow to the population. If not, this is war and I intend to win.
    i use Talstar almost exclusively for Japanese beetles. Here's a trick i learned. Set out a few Japanese beetle bags with the attractant. Spray your plants with the Talstar. Watch the bags fill up lol.
    BigJim55, wentonbrown and Whoops like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Those bags are amazing!!! They work so well!
    2017 3025e, D160 Loader/61" Bucket, BXPanded Piranha bar, 55" Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple, WR Long 3rd Function Kit, Frontier Fixed Pallet Fork
    2017 Polaris Ranger Crew XP 900

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

Preventing beetles

Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    i use Talstar almost exclusively for Japanese beetles. Here's a trick i learned. Set out a few Japanese beetle bags with the attractant. Spray your plants with the Talstar. Watch the bags fill up lol.
    Lots of treatments but one thing that actually helped me was cutting the lawn slightly higher. I read that somewhere and have tried it and over time the number of beetles declined dramatically. I try to cut at 3" height unless there is some real need for a lower cut.

Treefarmer
    69project and goat704! like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post

Talistar does work, just donít spray it on any crop you intend to eat-fruit or vegetable. Itís instructions say not to harvest or consume any plant you spray.
    blue87fj60 likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Talistar does work, just donít spray it on any crop you intend to eat-fruit or vegetable. Itís instructions say not to harvest or consume any plant you spray.
    No, strictly sprayed on ornamentals. JB's love our cannis and rose bushes.
    balrog006 likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements