Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Cleaning a pond?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Thanks

Cleaning a pond?

So whatís my best route to getting a pond back in order? Itís pretty grown up. On the front side of the pond itís maybe 2í deep or so an down the back side itís about 3í deep

Is there something I can spray in there to start with that wonít hurt the fish and all? My main thoughts was to throw on hip boots and get in there with a weed eater for the tall grass and find something I can drag across the pond with the tractor.

Itís got 2-3í of thick mud at the bottom. Iíd love to get it cleaned up, redo the bridge with gazebo and stock it back with fish. There are a few bass, perch, and catfish now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EDF0C2EF-3A08-4992-9398-7DBFDC86AD53.jpeg
    Last edited by Littlegreenmachine; 07-27-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    07-19-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreenmachine View Post
    So whatís my best route to getting a pond back in order? Itís pretty grown up. On the front side of the pond itís maybe 2í deep or so an down the back side itís about 3í deep

Is there something I can spray in there to start with that wonít hurt the fish and all? My main thoughts was to throw on hip boots and get in there with a weed eater for the tall grass and find something I can drag across the pond with the tractor.

Itís got 2-3í of thick mud at the bottom. Iíd love to get it cleaned up, redo the bridge with gazebo and stock it back with fish. There are a few bass, perch, and catfish now.

You pretty much answered your own question with the weedeater , my grandparents pond was growed up like that and I took my weedeater to what I could get to . Then used my bush hog to get to the bigger stuff that I could get too. And I cut some of the bigger trees so they would fall in the pond so the fish would have places to lay eggs and keep the pond going.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve O For This Useful Post:

Littlegreenmachine†(07-31-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreenmachine View Post

so if there's that much mud in it, then there must only be inches of water thenmight as well get to fishing the fish out someway-transfer em to somewhere else for the time being. and get on that machine of urs and start to cleaning it out. can u start in at the shallow end with ur bucket(loader) and go after it. but be prepared as its a messy job. and ya want dry weather for it too.

i hated cleaning big ponds out at the coal company-yuck. tracks was full everyday of slimy mud from throwing lime in. me as the dozer operator had to corral the mud to one corner where a larger hoe-loaded it out on a tri-axle-or rock truck-depending on where we was at. active job site-or at a job that had been reclaimed. i had that duty one whole summer--yuck-yuck--open station dozer-for the summer. probably around a D-4 size wise. lot of sitting waiting on the truck to come back-etc. if it rained couldn't work then that day. couldn't peel to much good dry dirt off the bottom of pond, etc.

go to u-tube and look up cleaning my pond with my jd 1025r-or 26r--lots and lots of videos of guys doing.

have fun and good luck to ya
    blue87fj60 and bvbearcat like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Sorry forgot to upload the picture.

Nah. On one side of the bridge the water is 1-2í deep and then you will sink another 1í-2í or so in mud if not more. And the other side of the bridge is 2-3í of water and then 1í or so of mud. That was 2 years or so ago I had to get in there for my wifeís grandpa.
    The pond is estimated 30í wide and 60í long. And my back hoe only reaches what 6í lol.
    As far as a bush hog. I donít have one and half the pond is prolly 2í high sides so I couldnít get that with a bush hog I donít think.
    I remember G-paw Asked the guy with the parish cleaning the ditches if he would dig the pond out in spare time with the trackhoe. Thatís gotta be 10-15 years ago. He was right In the middle of the pond digging it out. Thatís why half the pond has the 2í or so high sides. Anything I can dig out now may go around the front side to build up if thatís possible.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Thanks
    Maybe this would work for you or something similar.

https://weedrazers.com/products/
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2017 1025R FIL 54"MMM
    36" Titan Pallet Forks
    5 foot box blade
    Titan BX42S wood chipper
    Edge Tamers
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks
    2018 Exmark Rudius-X series 60" deck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EMSDJ2 For This Useful Post:

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSDJ2 View Post
    Maybe this would work for you or something similar.

https://weedrazers.com/products/
    Well thatís pretty nifty
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Go to 0:30 on the video.

I'll bet you could make one of these using PVC.

nastorino likes this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControlô
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to flyweight For This Useful Post:

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    I don't have access to the equipment without renting, but given the depth, here's my idea.

Using a Track-Hoe to reach as far out from the edge you can. Figure a way to attach a Box Scraper to the bucket. Or remove the bucket and adapt the Box Scraper. Extend the rippers to full depth (make sure they won't fall out) and extend the boom out over..and into the pond..down into the grass....and rip/pull it out towards and on-too the bank. Then use the FEL to transport to where ever.
    As mentioned...the drier the ground the better. You don't want to bury the Hoe.

If you're crafty and have a larger tractor with a FEL, a drag box affair could be joined between that and the Track-Hoe using snatch-blocks and cables. Similar to a logging tower with a skidder as the tie-off or dead-man
    Last edited by Boonie; 07-28-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Boonie For This Useful Post:

16. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 AM
    Thanks

If you want to go big

Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    I don't have access to the equipment without renting, but given the depth, here's my idea.

Using a Track-Hoe to reach as far out from the edge you can. Figure a way to attach a Box Scraper to the bucket. Or remove the bucket and adapt the Box Scraper. Extend the rippers to full depth (make sure they won't fall out) and extend the boom out over..and into the pond..down into the grass....and rip/pull it out towards and on-too the bank. Then use the FEL to transport to where ever.
    As mentioned...the drier the ground the better. You don't want to bury the Hoe.

If you're crafty and have a larger tractor with a FEL, a drag box affair could be joined between that and the Track-Hoe using snatch-blocks and cables. Similar to a logging tower with a skidder as the tie-off or dead-man
    It's sorta pricey but if you rent a big track hoe it would reach more than half way across no problem. Some would reach all the way across or more. If it was mine and I could afford it, I'd go that route and dig out the muck as well. Price is an issue- not only the daily/weekly rental but delivery is pretty steep for those machines but they will move a lot of material in a relatively short period of time with a good operator.

One of these days, I've got a pond that I want to dig with one.

Treefarmer
    grnspot110, BigJim55 and goat704! like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

18. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flyweight View Post
    Go to 0:30 on the video.

I'll bet you could make one of these using PVC.

Thatís pretty cool.
    I love how heís in the pond getting all wet so then he buys this sweet cotraption so he can put his flip flops on and cut everything from the comfort of .................... back in the water if you are in the pond it would seem much easier to control the weed whacker by hand like normal.
    Not once is he on a bank or wharf doing it. It seems handy though from the bank to reach out pretty good

Ideas are running through my head. Now i just need time
    BigJim55 and nastorino like this.
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast