Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Getting rid of Bermudagrass?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks

Getting rid of Bermudagrass?

Hi all.
    Since someone had a thread about identifying a weed, I thought "Hey, why didnt I think of that?" and figured Id ask this here. Nobody I know locally is any help.

I have patches of Bermudagrass in the lawn. I dont want it in the lawn. Or anywhere else for that matter.
    The only thing Ive come across this far to somewhat control it is Roundup. Trouble with that is fairly obvious, large dead patches all over the lawn. The other issue with that is that Bermudagrass takes a few applications to completely kill, and if you dont get it all, you obviously cant kill it all, and it WILL come back.

Now, if you dont know what Bermudagrass is, you are lucky, or maybe just dont care, in which case you are still lucky, lol!
    If you do know what it is, and hate it like I do, let me know what you do to get rid of it.

At our old house, I went crazy on it. I sprayed it twice with Ornamec, and it worked pretty good. After that, in the Fall, I burned the dead patches with a torch. Why? Well, nature does it to renew things, and I figured why not. Plus it kills the seeds laying on top of the ground. That all worked pretty well, and only left a very few holdouts that were easy enough to just pull when they got big enough to show. Since Ornamec doesnt do much that Roundup doesnt (they say it doesnt hurt the other grasses as much, but it killed it dead at my old place), I figure theres not much point in spending the money on Ornamec this time, but maybe there is and Im just missing it.

Any help appreciated!
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Thanks
    I dunno. When I lived down in Oklahoma Bermuda grass started infesting my lawn. I tried everything (including fire) but nothing kept it back. And it was the only grass that would make it through the summer heat. After 3 years I gave up. I let the Bermuda take over and 3 years later I had a beautiful lawn that was nothing but Bermuda.

Toxic warfare (Round Up) may work if you can catch it before it really gets going. Yeah, you'll have a bald spot in the lawn to fix next season but I think that's probably a best case scenario.

That Bermuda grass stuff is brutal.
    aclass likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Thanks
    I only know of using roundup to get rid of it, short of completely digging it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well darn. I was hoping for something easy...but thats rarely going to work for anything I need help with!

I did recently find that PBI Gordon makes a selective herbicide "Surge" that will damage it. It designed to be used on Bermuda in Southern lawns, but at a lower use rate, and at certain times so that it doesnt damage a Bermuda lawn.
    At higher rates, and at the right times of the year, it will damage or kill it.
    Once I get it under control a bit more, I plan to make Surge my go too weed killer just for that. Easy enough to use the sprayer on the 318 to spray the lawn and get everything, including what I cant easily see.

I really dont like the look of it at all mixed in with Bluegrass and Ryegrass.
    Our old house used to have Zoysia too, and while it took a while to green up in the Spring, it didnt care if it got water or not, was extremely dense, and looked great.
    Maybe I should try to get some of that growing here. Its so thick that nothing else can compete with it. Even the Bermuda stayed away from it for the most part.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-20-2018 @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    Ornamec contains 6-7% Fluazifop-P-butyl. The pro version of the same active ingredient based product is Fusilade II which contains Fluazifop-P-butyl 24.5%. Huge difference! I’ve had amazing success with Fusilade but that said there are a few points to keep in mind:

1) Go ahead and deal with the fact that this is a long-term battle, not a one (or even two) and done.
    2) My lawn is tall fescue. Fescue is a cool season grass. Bermuda is a warm season grass. I spray Fusilade when my Bermuda is weak but my fescue is strong. Otherwise, the damage to the fescue will be too great AND the Bermuda is tougher to get.
    3) Use a good stick-it product.
    4) Keep agitating mix whole spraying.

I get some yellowing of my fescue every time I use this product but nothing too severe. It seems important to do it early enough in the season that the fescue has a few weeks to bounce back before it gets super hot.

You can purchase Fusilade II from Doityourselfpestcontrol.com. Pricing is good and they are very helpful with service. Hope it helps!
    Last edited by Stablenickers; 08-13-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    Jen

ZTrack Z915B
    2016 4052R with H165 loader
    iMatch hitch, Frontier box scrape, 6' disc harrow, 4' alternating tine aerator
    55 gal sprayer

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stablenickers View Post
    Ornamec contains 6-7% Fluazifop-P-butyl. The pro version of the same active ingredient based product is Fusilade II which contains Fluazifop-P-butyl 24.5%. Huge difference! I’ve had amazing success with Fusilade but that said there are a few points to keep in mind:

1) Go ahead and deal with the fact that this is a long-term battle, not a one (or even two) and done.
    2) My lawn is tall fescue. Fescue is a cool season grass. Bermuda is a warm season grass. I spray Fusilade when my Bermuda is weak but my fescue is strong. Otherwise, the damage to the fescue will be too great AND the Bermuda is tougher to get.
    3) Use a good stick-it product.
    4) Keep agitating mix whole spraying.

I get some yellowing of my fescue every time I use this product but nothing too severe. It seems important to do it early enough in the season that the fescue has a few weeks to bounce back before it gets super hot.

You can purchase Fusilade II from Doityourselfpestcontrol.com. Pricing is good and they are very helpful with service. Hope it helps!
    I think the timing was my issue with the Ornamec now that I think about it.
    I agree with everything you said though, especially regarding the long term battle.
    Even after all I did at the old house, it still popped up from time to time, but it was manageable at that point, unlike now.
    Does anyone list the times to apply Fusilade? I assume early-mid Spring and mid-late Fall is best, but I am not sure.

Not sure about Doityourselfpestcontrol.com, Ive not used them, but will check them out.
    I have had excellent luck with Domyown.com. Formerly Domyownpestcontrol. I assume they work similarly, and offer similar stuff.
    Thats where I found out about Suspend Polyzone. Bug destroyer extraordinaire. Love that stuff.
    Also where I found out a bit about the Surge I mentioned above.
    Jim B.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Does anyone list the times to apply Fusilade? I assume early-mid Spring and mid-late Fall is best, but I am not sure.
    For us here in NC, yes, those are the best times. The fescue is at its strongest then. The bermuda is just beginning to get started during the spring application and is close to going dormant for the fall application. Sounds perfect! Good luck, Jim.
    Jen

ZTrack Z915B
    55 gal sprayer

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Interesting how one person's weed is another person's pasture/lawn.

Ive spent the past three years trying to get rid of my weeds so that my coastal bermuda pastures and bermuda lawn will thrive. The only time bermuda becomes a weed is when it grows into the flower garden.
    Treefarmer and Stablenickers like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post

Ive spent the past three years trying to get rid of my weeds so that my coastal bermuda pastures and bermuda lawn will thrive. The only time bermuda becomes a weed is when it grows into the flower garden.
    Agree 100%!

Its that way with a lot of things. I think were I in the South, it may be a better lawn down there. Up here it just looks odd in with the "regular" grass.
    Jim B.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post

Isn't it though?! I only feed Bermuda when I can't find anything else. Life would be easier if I would just switch to Bermuda for both yard and pasture. Not nearly as interesting, but easier.
    Treefarmer likes this.
    Jen

ZTrack Z915B
    55 gal sprayer

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast