Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Hornet Nest Ideas

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Thanks

Hornet Nest Ideas

This was discovered out at the rental. I need to get rid of it so the little devils don't sting the other little devils that run around out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180824_103613.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	644690

I figure I need the hornets inside it to make sure I get them all which means a cool early morning or late night operation.

I don't think the normal fire on a stick method would be advisable since I want to keep the building intact!

I don't think just using the streaming hornet spray will work well since it won't penetrate the nest walls enough to kill the buggers.

Any ideas out there?
    etcallhome, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    Looks like paper wasp nest. I would spray at night when all are home.

I had a neighbor spray same kind, but smaller nest for me (I am allergic, carry epi-pens) and with in a few days something tore open the nest (no guards? )
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Thanks
    The newer, foaming wasp/hornet sprays are impressive. A can of that stuff will completely block the exit and should emit enough fumes to kill everything in the nest. Much better than the pure liquid versions...
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RodW For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (08-24-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Zebra.....Did the spray get through the nest layers and get the wasp's on yours??

I had on about the same size on a dog house on our property last year and just left it alone since it wasn't near a foot traffic area. After it got cold and they left it I scraped it off to see what the inside looked like and there were many layers of 'paper' as they built it out.

I didn't think the spray can would be strong enough to spray through those layers.
    Last edited by Titleist1; 08-24-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

The EPA just loves me.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodW View Post
    The newer, foaming wasp/hornet sprays are impressive. A can of that stuff will completely block the exit and should emit enough fumes to kill everything in the nest. Much better than the pure liquid versions...
    Thanks for the idea.....I will look for that.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

The EPA just loves me.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Thanks
    I've had good success with the canned streaming hornet sprays, but I haven't had a nest/hive as large as that one. Still I would use the streaming spray and give the entrance a good soaking, knock the nest off the building with a LOOOOONG stick, then spray it again while on the ground. Move it to a safe place and set it ablaze ... may need a bit of accelerant too. Do this on a cool evening/morning.

I'd also spray the remnants on the building and give it a little while for the returning stragglers to get discouraged and find a new home, then scrub all the nest remnants off the structure.

I'd not recommend the water hose method ... I had a neighbor hit a hive with his garden hose ... hornets came out, followed the stream right back to his hand and he got stung a few times in a matter of seconds.

Good luck, just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    I had a nest just slightly smaller than your's on the side of my garage last year. Went out at night with a flashlight and 2 cans of wasp & hornet spray.

2 lessons learned:

#1: when you start spraying a few will fly out and come attack the flashlight. So use a light you can set down somewhere away from where you are standing.
    #2: Spray up the entrance hole. I pumped a whole can up there. The foam expands and fills the nest. The next morning there weren't any left alive.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (08-24-2018)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    They make foaming bee spray. It does a good job clinging, and it penetrates the paper. I've killed lots of nests with it, and it works great- even on big ones.
    Drive a vehicle as close as you can, and crack the window. Spray the nest good, the close the window. You can spray it successfully before the bees figure out where you are, and you can close the window in plenty of time. I've done that more than once, when I could get close to the nest (within 10 or 15 feet).
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Here's what I do:

1. I use 2 sprays. The first is the wasp spray that's issued to the electrical and cable service folks working in my area. I was given a can by one of them and liked it so much that I ordered a case from Amazon. Cost is $5 per can. The great thing about this is the almost instant knockdown and kill. It didn't seem to do a great job for long term control, though, by killing the wasps that were out and then returned to the nest later. But knockdown is critical when first spraying a nest, to reduce my chance of being stung.

Name:	telco_.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	247.5 KB 
ID:	644754

2. Second spray is one of the foaming killers. It seems to coat the nest and gets the returning and exiting wasps.

Name:	raid.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	644756

3. I approach the nest with both cans open and ready to go. I spray about half of the can of the Telco spray first, to knock down those wasps hovering in the area. Then the entire can of the foaming killer. I save half the Telco to use in case any wasps spot me during my getaway.

4. For the next nest, I re-arm with full cans of each and repeat. The half empty can of the Telco spray gets saved for carrying on the tractor, just in case.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist1 View Post
    Zebra.....Did the spray get through the nest layers and get the wasp's on yours??

I had on about the same size on a dog house on our property last year and just left it alone since it wasn't near a foot traffic area. After it got cold and they left it I scraped it off to see what the inside looked like and there were many layers of 'paper' as they built it out.

I didn't think the spray can would be strong enough to spray through those layers.
    I don't know, I was not there when it was sprayed.

The nest was right above the walk door to the barn at the farm, 12 foot up, at the over hang. I asked the neighbor to spray it, when he had a chance, after dark. I gave him a can of spray, stream type.

I did not get back there for at least two weeks, the nest was torn open and you could see several layers. I took a stick and knocked down what I could. There is still pieces of "paper" up there.

That trip I saw hornets starting a nest to the left of the walk door I'll have to ask the neighbor to spray them.
    Last edited by Zebrafive; 08-24-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    etcallhome, Tomfive and PJR832 like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast