Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: How to build up wet ground in front of shed ramp

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks

How to build up wet ground in front of shed ramp

All, my equipment shed has a wooden ramp leading up to it. It is probably 3-4" above grade on gravel, everything installed by the previous owner and his shed installer.

The area immediately in front of the ramp is a wet clay - have had to dig myself out of there so many times that it is now probably a foot below grade a soupy, especially after rain. My backhoe and mower deck are...you guessed it...tucked away inside the shed, behind the "moat". Thankfully I haven't been using my 60D deck for mowing this season.

How do I build it up for a permanent solution to this? Pile rocks/gravel on to the soup until they sink in enough to fill it up? Try to dig through the soup and remove everything I can in there until I'm on more "solid" ground? I think I read somewhere about using a landscape fabric in these situations or some sort of geotextile, but is that worthwhile?

I don't have convenient access to electric to pump it out. This area is approximately 6 feet wide in front of the shed ramp by 15 feet long.

I'd like to eventually do some trenching/drainage work at some point for this, but my current objective is to try to build the area up so I that I can easily get my equipment in and out of my shed.

Ready, go!
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    for this problem, i believe the geotextile fabricate is the best way to go. lay it down right over the soup-ur calling it. then u need rock, stone,etc., to lay over the fabricate to the height of ur ramp. probably gonna need to add a couple of times, till it packs down right.

i had heard of doing this yrs ago, but seen what it can do in person. had several bad spots in a road we was trying to build-foreman brought a roll out with him the next morning, we laid it down over the bad spot, he brought stone in-dump truck backed up to in front of bad spot and dumped-i then took a D-7cat dozer and leveled that stone out over the fabricate-and ran the rock down with the dozer by tracking it in. next truck backed right over it his tires made some ruts in it-but i just kept back blading it thru out the day. it made a believer out of me after that.
    PJR832 likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    Personally, I would dig out the soup and fill with #53 gravel, and then cover with a finer gravel to finish it and make it look nice.
    PJR832 and 1010 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Thanks
    Why is it wet? Is it a low spot? Are there springs?

If its just a low spot with poorly drained soil, then is it possible to build it up and slope it, so that it drains?
    you could dig up the muck and put big rock in, I don't know what number #53 is that John123 mentioned, but it sounds big.
    Then topcoat and pack with class 5 or something.
    PJR832 likes this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    As mentioned, get some heavy landscape fabric. Road Mat is even better. Find a road construction place and ask them about it. Timber or logging companies will have (or know where to get) some.
    Once the barrier is in place, put 3" crush down as a base, pack it, then add 1-1/4 minus over the top and pack that in.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    if it's a spring you need to direct it somewhere else. Otherwise it's just going to come up somewhere else you don't want it. Murphy's Law puts that at the edge of the shed until the shed settles to that side.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    Why is it wet? Is it a low spot? Are there springs?

If its just a low spot with poorly drained soil, then is it possible to build it up and slope it, so that it drains?
    you could dig up the muck and put big rock in, I don't know what number #53 is that John123 mentioned, but it sounds big.
    Then topcoat and pack with class 5 or something.

#53 is about 1-3.5 inch shards with binder (i think 50% rock and 50% binder) The INDOT uses it for building highways here. I have used it on a few drives I have built and it works great. You pack it down and it turns to concrete when wet. I usually finish with #2 to make it look nice.
    arlen, PJR832 and bvbearcat like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    I've used geo-fabric for a couple home projects lately and I like it. My suggestion would be to drain the hole as much as possible (siphon if you have to), then line it with geo-fabric. To save some cash, start filling it with creek rock, field stone, concrete chunks, etc. Top it off with a load of gravel. I'd put a french drain around the perimeter to help keep most of the water from re-entering the hole.
    PJR832 likes this.
    -> 2017 John Deere 1025R TLB
    -> Piranha Tooth Bar
    -> 4' County Line Tiller
    -> John Deere Ballast Box
    -> 5" County Line Scraper Blade
    -> County Line Carry-All
    -> County Line Boom Pole
    -> 36" Titan Forks
    -> Ken's Hooks
    -> HF Quick Hitch

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadOx View Post
    I've used geo-fabric for a couple home projects lately and I like it. My suggestion would be to drain the hole as much as possible (siphon if you have to), then line it with geo-fabric. To save some cash, start filling it with creek rock, field stone, concrete chunks, etc. Top it off with a load of gravel. I'd put a french drain around the perimeter to help keep most of the water from re-entering the hole.
    Yes, Geotextile is the way to go. That, by the way is road mat. I would dig it out until you hit solid hard pan. Put 4s then 2s then modified. I did this under my workshop, and there was an area as you describe, did this before pouring the footer and all was well for the footer. This will be much easier. Dig down and line it like it was a pool. Fill it up and problem solved. Make sure ypu go down a minimum of 2 feet and try not to disturb the hard pan just under the geotextile, or rather where the geotextile will lay. Without ypu have to put much more rock, and ypu will have no guarantee of sucess, as the stone will get infultrate by the muck.
    Bill
    Bill

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Your issue is the water. Redirect it first and then go from there.
    Gizmo2, arlen, keane and 3 others like this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast