Yucca Plants. How to care for them? Pruning? Thinning, Feeding?
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Boonie
  • 1 Post By Levi
  • 2 Post By Boonie
  • 2 Post By 2520
  • 2 Post By keane
  • 2 Post By johncanfield

Thread: Yucca Plants. How to care for them? Pruning? Thinning, Feeding?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

Yucca Plants. How to care for them? Pruning? Thinning, Feeding?

Years ago I was given some small Yucca. I like them for the flowers they produce. They're getting up there in size where I think they need to be controlled (stunted?) so they don't get "too big"
    The larger they are growing, the more they add to the landscaping around our house. One plant (by the metal pole) has two trunks. I would like to remove the nearest to the house, but I'm afraid it will put the plant in shock and will die. I need some advice from someone experienced with the Yucca family.

Also, the ground here is clay, mainly. When the plants were buried as starts, hole were dug 18" round and 18" or so deep. Potting soil was added. As they've all grown, the lower leaves have always gotten the brown spots. Eventually the lower leaves turn completely brown, and I eventually pull them. They're to that point they need to pulled again. Our male dogs like to water them, so I leave the dying leaves there so the boys can't pee directly on the trunks. I have a remedy for this though. I'm going to put cottage stones around them, or pieces of black plastic culvert pipe as rings.

I found a webpage How to Take Care of a Yucca
    As for caring for the Yucca, I'd be very appreciative to get some guidance of a green thumb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180903_074702.jpg   20180903_074725.jpg   20180903_074737.jpg  
    Last edited by Boonie; 09-03-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,064 Posts
    I came, I looked, I saw, I have no idea.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I came, I looked, I saw, I have no idea.
    Dang drive-bys.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks
    My parents had some. They were tired of them. I would pull and dig them up. They would keep coming back. Seem pretty hearty to me lol

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Thanks
    I just used my backhoe to pull out about 12 large ones a couple of months ago. They grow like weeds here. I remove 30 to 40 small ones each year from my natural grass areas. When the root breaks off as they're coming out (which is pretty common), I give the exposed root a shot of Roundup. With about a ton and a half of tractor and stuff on it, I've been amazed to lock the bucket under a big yucca and have the whole tractor move when i curl the bucket. The yucca has really strong roots, and they grow just fine in dirt that's just like concrete.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks
    I brush hog mine down, they are just out of context with my land. Their flower on a long stalk is attractive but I just don't care for them. As far as your question, I don't think they need any special care.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements