Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Wagon to Follow Me Around?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks

Wagon to Follow Me Around?

This will be a strange question. But, about every day I drive my tractor and manure spreader around my pastures to pick up piles of horse manure. For you non-horse folks, horses produce a lot of manure piles in a day. Picking it up regularly is probably the best way to control gastrointestinal parasites and flies. So, it's drive to a pile-get off the tractor-shovel the pile into the wagon-climb back on the tractor-drive to the next pile-and repeat probably 50 times. Sometimes I just operate the tractor pedals with my hand as I walk beside the tractor from pile to pile; I know it's risky.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manure.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	646780

I find myself wishing that there was a way to just have the tractor follow me around like a dog on a leash. So I did a search to see if there were such things as electric vehicles big enough to pull a small trailer around. The only thing I have found so far is a golf club cart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	golf.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	646782

My question for you innovative and technologically knowledgable folks is whether you know of a small tractor-like vehicle like this?
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Just get one of these.

https://riversedgeequestrian.ca/super-scooper/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Levi, BigJim55, RetiredDoc and 1 others like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    With something like that - around here it’s picking up small limbs and sticks after a storm - I find it easier to just walk with a 5 gallon bucket - put the tractor in a central location and let it sit.
    Marlin, RetiredDoc and rakane like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    Have you considered just running a tine harrow over it?
    Levi, RetiredDoc and PJR832 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J3 Driver View Post
    Just get one of these.

https://riversedgeequestrian.ca/super-scooper/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Never seen this. Thanks. I'll need to read about it. One concern in my specific pastures is that they're coastal bermuda with runners everywhere. That makes even using a manure fork a little difficult since the tines catch on the bermuda runners or stolons. That's also one of the two main reasons I don't use a chain harrow and just break up the manure pile; a lot of grass gets ripped up.
    Levi likes this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Thanks
    The super scooper looks neat, probably the best solution. I see that you have a quick hitch, I'd probably make a system that lets you drop your trailer with the quick hitch, load it and hook back up with out leaving the seat using that. You might need to add a tongue jack and some weight up front to make it stable that way. Maybe even a different trailer all together with a jack in the from and back that keeps the hitch at a height you can attach to, but when leveled out lets the trailer move about.

I have an old snowmobile trailer I use to haul brush around in that manner. I have some weights at the front of the trailer that keep it tongue heavy, and I just pick that up with the trailer ball thing I have for the quick hitch. I leave the tongue jack down and short, I don't even latch the ball. It's picking up brush and yard debris, so it's low speed and low risk. The worst that can happen is it falls off and have to reload it, but I've never had that happen.

Looking at your trailer again, I'd put a block under the tongue to keep it high enough to scoop up with something like this: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to..._987783_987783 and add a suitcase weight to the tongue to keep it on the ground. That hitch was just a quick example I found, I don't think you'd need to spend that much. Just make sure to latch it when you dump.
    Last edited by Plug Ugly; 09-05-2018 at 03:56 PM.
    Levi and PJR832 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Have you considered just running a tine harrow over it?
    I have. This is an ongoing debate among horse people. There are two sides: pickers and draggers.

Pdckers have smaller pastures like me, and not enough total acreage to allow for adequate horse rotation. We are also concerned about the dragged and spread out manure harboring intestinal parasites and being spreado over areas where the horses prefer to graze. Horses tend to have preferred pooping areas and preferred grazing area, but not like cats and their litter boxes.

Draggers have too much land to pick up piles, so use a chain horrow or something to drag over and break up the piles so they dry out more quickly. That helps the fly problem, as flies only lay eggs on wet manure, but the parasite eggs and larvae are still there for a while, so the horses re-ingest them. It's an ongoing cycle.
    Marlin likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 01:21 PM
    Thanks
    What about a DR Power Wagon? You could attach a sulky to it and have to option to walk or ride.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    With something like that - around here it’s picking up small limbs and sticks after a storm - I find it easier to just walk with a 5 gallon bucket - put the tractor in a central location and let it sit.
    A single pile of manure from a Clydesdale can overflow a bucket; and the fresher it is the heavier.
    coaltrain and Marlin like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    A single pile of manure from a Clydesdale can overflow a bucket; and the fresher it is the heavier.
    OK - I get it. I had visions of just cow patties in my mind.....
    Oscar Leroy likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast