Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Let's talk about mower blades

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 08:27 PM
    Thanks

Let's talk about mower blades

Got a 1025R last month with the mulching kit pre-installed. I've mowed twice since I got it and unfortunately also clipped a survey marker the last time I was mowing.

After getting my deck dolly today I was finally able to take look. I fully expected to have chunk out of the leftmost blade, but I didn't expect to see just how dull all three blades were overall already. I have 15 hours on the tractor and less than half of that has been spent mowing.

This is the first tractor I've ever bought and needed to maintain -- is it normal to have this much wear on my blades after less than 10 hours of use? I admittedly don't have a well manicured yard and I've probably inadvertently mowed some small branches in addition to mulching fallen leaves.

In general I'm wondering what approach everyone else uses to keep sharp blades on their mower deck and how to even go about sharpening mulching blades. I'm also curious if anyone has used the Oregon G6 Gator blades with the mulching kit -- I've heard that they have hardened cutting edge and hold an edge better than the stock blades.
    PJR832 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Thanks
    The bottom photo looks like normal wear but still excessive for 10 hours. The top one looks like it hit a survey marker, lucky you didn’t bent a spindle. Is it very sandy? The blades are not to a knife edge when new and the paint makes them look sharper than they are so the bottom one might just be normal.

Perhaps the mulch kit doesn’t let things out so it keeps hitting the same rocks over and over.
    Last edited by Herminator; 10-03-2018 at 08:37 PM.
    SulleyBear and PJR832 like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    The bottom photo looks like normal wear but still excessive for 10 hours. The top one looks like it hit a survey marker, lucky you didn’t bent a spindle. Is it very sandy? The blades are not to a knife edge when new and the paint makes them look sharper than they are so the bottom one might just be normal.

Perhaps the mulch kit doesn’t let things out so it keeps hitting the same rocks over and over.

The edge on the new blades for my 62D are pretty sharp...
    PJR832 likes this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Just this afternoon I removed the blades from my 60D mower. It has a mulching kit installed. I had removed and sharpened the blades about 2 weeks ago. I had rounded off the head of one of the blade bolts then, so I ordered new bolts and a set of new JD muclching blades. Today I swapped out the old blades for new blades and bolts.

These are the old blades - 2 weeks after sharpening, and used twice to mow a couple of acres of coastal bermuda grass horse pasture. I do mow at the highest (4 inch) setting. They have lost their really sharp edge. I can run my thumb over the outer cutting edges without being cut. They were sharp enough to cut a finger when I finished my sharpening (not bad, but enough to draw blood). So, to respond to your question, my blades dulled pretty quickly. I'll be sharpening more frequently in the future, but not every 2 weeks. Maybe monthly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blades.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	651470
    North585, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:32 PM
    Thanks
    Any tips on how to best sharpen the blades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Herminator likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    My mulching blades, Deere part number M168223, came with the mulching kit, which I installed myself.

Your blades are different. They lack the upsweep at the trailing edge, and it also appears that the blade's width near the center holes is different.

Are you sure the dealer didn't just install the mulching plates themselves, and left the original blades on the mower? The mulching kit is both the plates, plus different blades.
    Herminator likes this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 08:27 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    My mulching blades, Deere part number M168223, came with the mulching kit, which I installed myself.

Your blades are different. They lack the upsweep at the trailing edge, and it also appears that the blade's width near the center holes is different.

Are you sure the dealer didn't just install the mulching plates themselves, and left the original blades on the mower? The mulching kit is both the plates, plus different blades.
    I have what I was told are the stock blades.
    BigJim55 and RetiredDoc like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    I also see a lot of nicking and wear from digesting sticks and occasionally hitting dirt.

The his best thing I have found is a 4 inch angle grinder with a "flapper wheel" installed, basically layered sandpaper.

I keep a spare set of blades sharp and after a swap I touch them up when I get time.
    Factory edge specs actually instruct you to sharpen the primary angle on the blade and then create a tiny flat at the cutting edge, normally around 1/64 inch (.016).

This flat helps prevent edge bending and chipping that guys like me would encounter.
    Many folks on this forum have gone to the lengths needed to have beautiful lawns of grass with no sticks or weeds and they could likely get away with creating razor sharp blade edges that would last just fine.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Do they have a part number stamped into them? The stamping is pretty shallow, and the letters/numbers are 3/16" high, so might be obscured by dirt. Mine have the stamping on the top of the blade, so unless its off the mower, the number won't be visible.

Sharpening - I use a Baldor bench grinder with a 6" medium grinding wheel.

The G6 blades you asked about - I have not used them. A selling point in the ads is that they create less suction than the Deere mulching blades, so they won't pick up small rocks and sticks. Deere of course couners that by saying that their own blades are precisely engineered for the best performance of their mowing decks.
    North585 and Herminator like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Thanks
    This is exactly why I've stopped wasting money on OEM JD blades and transitioned to Gator G6 blades
    2011 Deere 3720 Cab | 2007 Deere 3720 Open Station | 1974 Deere 2030 | 1980 Deere 2440
    1998 Massey Ferguson 240S | 1975 Ford 3000 | 1972 Ford 2000 | 1964 Oliver 550
    1958 International Cub LoBoy | 1956 Ferguson F-40 | 1954 Allis Chalmers WD45
    X720 Ultimate | X540 | GT225
    2014 825i Deere Gator | 2007 850D Deere Gator

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast