Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Leaves by the TON

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks

Leaves by the TON

I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with leaves. I have about 2 acres around the house with nearly 50, gorgeous leafy sassafras, ash, cherry, river birch, and pine that shed leafs and needles this time of year. In the past, I used my x324 + powerflow + a custom leaf hopper (400+ gallon) (very similar to a cyclone rake in appearance). Now, with a 1025R, I'm wondering what I should do.

With my 400 Gallon leaf hopper, I would get a few minutes of mowing time before it filled up and then had to dump. I'm wondering if anybody has any thoughts about a better method. I know the cyclone rake is about the same size as this, and the MCS20, although half the capacity, has auto dump. I've also considered a 3PH blower (Agrimetal BW 1600-TP Tractor PTO 3 point Hitch Blower). I used to run a mulch kit on the x324, but even at WOT it would stall out; it was also a 4 pass exercise to mow. I know that the 1025r has much more torque, so maybe this won't be an issue?

I'm really just looking to leverage the 1025r to try and get my leafing down from almost 20 hours each year to something more reasonable. Any thoughts?
    Levi, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks
    I also have 2 acres with a lot of large oaks. Over the years ive found that a blower is the best, most effecient, way to deal with them. I use a Stihl BR600 backpack blower. If you have woods to blow them into then a blower is the way to go. Ive seen a kubota with a 3pt blower doing a large retirement home but a guy always followed behind it with a backpack blower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fdmars, genesusie, Levi and 2 others like this.
    2016 1025r - Amazing Machine!
    1969 112 - May need a rebuild

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    Levi, BigJim55, tj1 and 1 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    I have 5-6 acres of leafy trees, just mow over them. They will decompose and add nutrients to your soil. No need to bag or collect them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to buckteeth445 For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (10-13-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Thanks
    They do make 3-point blowers that utilize the PTO for their power. Everything Attachments carries a variety of them. They aren't cheap, but they look powerful enough to easily get all of the leaves well into your neighbor's yard. Check out the video on the EA site.
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Thanks
    If you want to pick them up, then you have to deal with the dumping them. Of course the larger the container on your MCS, the less you have to dump it.

Now for dumping. If you have to manually dump them, this can get very tiring after about the 3rd dump. I prefer something that has a power dump system so you do not have to work to hard!!

Now, do you have a place to dump them on your property or do you have to put them in a trailer and haul them away? If you have a place to dump them, then any one of the pull behind units that have power dump will work.

If you have to put the leaves in a trailer and haul them away, then you may want to look at something like the older style JD Hydraulic lift and dump MCS that were used on the older 855, 955, 400's, etc. This is what I use since I have to haul mine away. I collect them in the MCS, dump them in my dump trailer and then haul them to the local township recycle center. I can do all of this with minimal work with this MCS. I should say, this MCS does not hold any more leaves than a 3 bag MCS, although, it is really easy to dump them, just be sure to not dump the leaves when it is windy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151017_162631.jpg   20151017_162701.jpg  
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    I've got a small piece of property, an acre and a quarter, with trees/woods on 3 sides plus about 10 trees throughout the lawn itself. I've got a TracVac with a 33 gal can on the back...LOTS of dumping. I put my 46 deck on my 322 and the TracVac doesn't mount! So, I put a piece of sheet metal over the deck discharge opening and installed a set of Predator blades. Grass clippings, leaves, twigs under 1/2" GONE! NO visible signs of anything on the lawn. Bob
    BigJim55 likes this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    I keep coming back to the mulch kit because I'd rather let the nutrients back into the ground, but the leaves on my property are too thick to leave them on top, they pack down and kill the grass if I leave them there. I know that timmarks had a video with leaves being mulched, and they get pulverized nicely. I'm wondering if anybody with a mulch kit on the 60" deck could comment on how bogged down this will get? Especially since the mulch kit requires so much effort to install / remove.
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks
    I bought Gator mulching blades and the mulch kit for my zero turn mower. I can make almost all the leaves disappear in a single pass. No more leaf blowers for me.
    BigJim55, buckteeth445 and 1010 like this.
    JD 5052R
    JD 5100M
    JD 835M XUV
    JD 650G Dozer
    Kubota KX-057
    Kubota ZD1211

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    I don't have the mulching kit on my 46 deck, just mulching blades and a blocked discharge. Also, I NEVER cut when things are wet, even wet with dew. I wait til things dry out.

As far as bogging/stalling, slow your ground speed down. If I "charge into" tall grass, my 18hp will bog down. If I go into it slowly, the engine labors but rpm stays up there.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast