Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: How to store gravel

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:22 AM
    Thanks

How to store gravel

So I have done some Google searching but really just wanted some opinions. My situation is that I need a tri-axle load of #73 stone (20-22 tons) and about 6 tons of rip rap delivered to my home I am building. Right now contractors are going in and out daily so I cannot block the drive (10ft wide) and I am a quarter mile back off the road so road dumping is not really an option. The rip-rap will only be there a few days but the #73 limestone will likely be there until spring and I will be using it throughout the winter for continual build up of my driveway and other projects. The whole construction site is dirt and with the horrible weather we have had its pretty much constantly mud.

So to solve this problem I was thinking of buying a heavy duty tarp (20ft x 30ft) and just putting it right off the edge of the driveway and having the stone delivered right on top of it. I do not know if this tarp will be big enough or if it will even hold up to my 1023e driving on it to scoop up stone. My other thought was to just have the stone dumped right on the dirt but I really don't want to be picking up stones in my yard for the rest of my life.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks
    You don’t have a place off to the side, like if your were going to make a turn-around. What material is left could be your turn-around. This is what I did when I built my cabin. Dumped rip rap in one spot which ended up being additional parking and limestone pile went where a shed ended up. Just a thought I would think a tarp would be a pia. Plywood might work better.
    mjncad, glc, MDrew and 4 others like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmich View Post
    You don’t have a place off to the side, like if your were going to make a turn-around. What material is left could be your turn-around. This is what I did when I built my cabin. Dumped rip rap in one spot which ended up being additional parking and limestone pile went where a shed ended up. Just a thought I would think a tarp would be a pia. Plywood might work better.
    That's what I was thinking.

I also thought about some of those 5' x 10', 1" thick steel plates that they put over the road to allow traffic to drive over a trench. That would be great, but I just checked our local construction equipment rental places and they're $80 / DAY!! Yikes!!
    mjncad, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    The 20'X30' tarp should be big enough to hold the load of stone if it's dumped carefully, but I won't guess how it will hold up to the 1023 running over it repeatedly. You could scrape away the topsoil 6" or more deep, prior to placing the tarp and any stone that finds it's way through could be left in the excavation and covered over when the pile is gone.

Congratulations on the new house!
    mjncad, MDrew, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 03:48 PM
    Thanks
    You are making a little too much of this . What is the rr for ? What is the other rock for ? By spring it will be gone maintaining the drive .
    Herminator likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:21 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1023Easy View Post
    So I have done some Google searching but really just wanted some opinions. My situation is that I need a tri-axle load of #73 stone (20-22 tons) and about 6 tons of rip rap delivered to my home I am building. Right now contractors are going in and out daily so I cannot block the drive (10ft wide) and I am a quarter mile back off the road so road dumping is not really an option. The rip-rap will only be there a few days but the #73 limestone will likely be there until spring and I will be using it throughout the winter for continual build up of my driveway and other projects. The whole construction site is dirt and with the horrible weather we have had its pretty much constantly mud.

So to solve this problem I was thinking of buying a heavy duty tarp (20ft x 30ft) and just putting it right off the edge of the driveway and having the stone delivered right on top of it. I do not know if this tarp will be big enough or if it will even hold up to my 1023e driving on it to scoop up stone. My other thought was to just have the stone dumped right on the dirt but I really don't want to be picking up stones in my yard for the rest of my life.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do?
    I Get Large dumpsters all the time and I Put thin sheets of Plywood down for them. But Have used Plywood for Gravel before Because at least you can scoop the gravel off and Not Have Pieces with the Gravel Like you would for a Tarp
    mjncad and johncanfield like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 10:18 AM
    Thanks
    If you dont put something down you will lose a LOT in the topsoil. I like the idea of clearing the area down to hardpan, but plywood after sounds like the best option. Tarp doesn't work to well. Plates would be great, except for the cost.
    Bill

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    mjncad and johncanfield like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,208 Posts
    You are going to end up hating the tarp. I tried that once for a small load of river stones. It worked okay for the bulk of the pile but when you get down to a few inches of material it is impossible to scrape against the tarp to get a load. You end up tearing holes in the tarp and now you have 1-2 tons of stone remaining on a torn tarp that you have no way to easily gather. You can't even pick up on the tarp to consolidate the stones because they are too heavy.

For me it was an idea that sounded good on paper but was an epic fail.
    mjncad, glc, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Herminator (12-04-2018)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Thanks
    The tarp will tear easily. You'll have rock everywhere. You'll also have bits of tarp everywhere. The best place to put each rock variety is someplace that it will eventually exist at the end of the project anyway. That way you don't have to move as much and the final cleanup phase simply goes away.
    mjncad likes this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

13. Top | #10
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Thanks
    It's dumped in a big pile next to the neighbors barn. Normally it's 2B modified. That seems to hold up best on our road. I'll get it with my 2520, and the neighbor gets it with either their JD 6430 or JD 6830. That's how it's been done for the last 10 years.
    mjncad likes this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD: