How cold is too cold to dig a trench?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: How cold is too cold to dig a trench?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks

How cold is too cold to dig a trench?

Hi all.
    Ive had a trench project that kept getting put off by rain, and a few other things, but with Winter upon us, I am just wondering how cold is too cold to dig in?
    Ive got a 260B on the 2025, and while I see no problem operating the tractor or backhoe in low temps, I can see it being an issue if the ground is frozen solid.
    Around here, it generally doesnt get that bad until mid January, and then its temp dependent. If its been fairly mild, it could never freeze too solid. I guess what I mean by that is that Ive dug holes in January and February, about 2-3 feet, with not much trouble with a shovel before, so I guess Im just wondering, from those of you who have experience with this sort of thing, is there a point where I should not attempt this?
    I assume Id know pretty quick with the backhoe if its too hard to dig, but dont want to damage anything.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Hi all.
    Ive had a trench project that kept getting put off by rain, and a few other things, but with Winter upon us, I am just wondering how cold is too cold to dig in?
    Ive got a 260B on the 2025, and while I see no problem operating the tractor or backhoe in low temps, I can see it being an issue if the ground is frozen solid.
    Around here, it generally doesnt get that bad until mid January, and then its temp dependent. If its been fairly mild, it could never freeze too solid. I guess what I mean by that is that Ive dug holes in January and February, about 2-3 feet, with not much trouble with a shovel before, so I guess Im just wondering, from those of you who have experience with this sort of thing, is there a point where I should not attempt this?
    I assume Id know pretty quick with the backhoe if its too hard to dig, but dont want to damage anything.
    I'm sure you can get through a couple inches of frost with the small backhoe without too much trouble, but if you monkey around too long before you backfill, you will have piles of frozen boulders to deal with.
    glc, Tomfive, IndianaJim and 8 others like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    I'm sure you can get through a couple inches of frost with the small backhoe without too much trouble, but if you monkey around too long before you backfill, you will have piles of frozen boulders to deal with.
    That would be my first response also - unless you backfill the same day you might be dealing with huge clumps of frozen dirt.

Other than that only you can tell - do a test dig. If it digs then go ahead and dig.
    glc, BigJim55, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    My plan was to dig and fill in one day, two at the most.
    Its not a problem to let it sit either, but I need to get the trench dug and conduit laid in, and wires pulled sooner rather than later.
    Only one portion of this trench needs to be filled ASAP, as one of my trails runs over it, so that will get filled first.

Heck, the way things go around here, 25 other things will come up before I get a chance to get started on it anyway, so it will likely get left until Spring with my lucK!
    glc, BigJim55, mark02tj and 1 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:45 PM
    Thanks
    This would also be my primary worry. But if as you say-you intend to backfill the same day-or that it can wait until thaw you shouldn’t have any issues.

You’ll find out rather quickly if there is any frost and if your Bh can do the digging you want-if there is much over an inch ( my educated guess) you won’t be doing much digging. Frost is surprisingly difficult to excavate through-it takes much larger and more powerful equipment with specialized frost teeth to get through it in the construction world and it is not easy digging even then.

If you do run into a bunch of excess time and really have to get that trench dug with frost in the ground there are options. Place tarps down and a thick layer of straw then another heavy tarp or plywood, etc to hold things in place. Give it a few days or a week and the insulation you placed should allow the ground to thaw and you’ll be able to dig if you can do it before it freezes back. Panels of rigid insulation or insulating blankets (used by contractors) placed in the same fashion as the straw will also work. I don’t recommend fire or water-as each are only effective in small areas (contradictory to a trench) or will cause more issues with digging and backfilling later (mud).
    Last edited by balrog006; 12-05-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:30 AM
    Thanks
    I just did this at my Dads place. We needed to replace the insulated piping from his outdoor boiler to the house, which is about 200'. We watched the weather and although we got some rain, the temperatures were just right so that it wouldn't freeze up once we opened the ditch. I started using an older 2wd JD backhoe, but the ground was muddy and I ending up spending a lot of time trying to get it unstuck, so I parked it and tried the loader on my 2320. It worked a lot better. When we originally put the piping in, we backfilled with sand, so digging it up again was pretty easy.

The snow cover we have kept the ground soft. It was a little too muddy, but with 4wd and steering brakes it was fine.

I would suggest looking at the upcoming weather and pick a time where you have a couple of days where it's warmer and dry. Our temps were just around freezing with colder temps at night. With a backhoe, you will be fine.
    Last edited by ctrider; 12-05-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 JD 2320
    1985 JD 318
    1952 JD MC
    1974 IH 784 4WD

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    If it will dig and you back fill within a day or 2 you should be fine. If it doesn't dig fairly easy, you are done right away or you'll be buying parts. If it's not sub zero while the dirt is piled you should be fine. Otherwise you'll need to warm the ground as stated above.
    IndianaJim, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Nothing a tiger torch can't fix.
    IndianaJim, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 11:01 AM
    Thanks
    Do you have a ripper for your back hoe? On larger machines I’ve gone through 2’ of frost. Although it is much slower it can be done with the right equipment
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 AM
    Thanks
    You will know if it is froze , right away . Start digging , you are going to make a mess anyhoo . Backfilling is usually the problem .
    Last edited by kevin37b; 12-06-2018 at 10:57 AM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast