• 1 Post By Pedals2Paddles
  • 1 Post By MTB98

Thread: Need fence suggestion

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Thanks

Need fence suggestion

Trying to finish up the back corner of my field fence. Plan A, which was to stretch woven wire along like the rest of the fence, clearly is a no go. I was only able to get that post hole down about 12" before hitting immovable rock. And that wasn't enough to support pulling woven wire tight. Then I was going to run the woven wire up the hill through the woods to the existing fence, not pulled super tight, just supported by t-posts. It's in the woods so it doesn't need to be pretty.

So now it looks like I need something much lighter and more flexible for the last 25 ft to the crappy corner post, and then the same up through the woods. I'm thinking something like 48" chicken wire maybe? Suggestions?

FYI I am containing a dog, not anything that's going to challenge a fence.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fence end.jpg  
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Move the corner post

Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    Trying to finish up the back corner of my field fence. Plan A, which was to stretch woven wire along like the rest of the fence, clearly is a no go. I was only able to get that post hole down about 12" before hitting immovable rock. And that wasn't enough to support pulling woven wire tight. Then I was going to run the woven wire up the hill through the woods to the existing fence, not pulled super tight, just supported by t-posts. It's in the woods so it doesn't need to be pretty.

So now it looks like I need something much lighter and more flexible for the last 25 ft to the crappy corner post, and then the same up through the woods. I'm thinking something like 48" chicken wire maybe? Suggestions?

FYI I am containing a dog, not anything that's going to challenge a fence.

I'd see about moving the corner posts a couple of feet and hope the rock doesn't extend that far. Either that or cut a triangle off from the existing post to the woods line. If the fence has to be in that location you can either go through the rock or drill into the rock and anchor something or excavate the rock. I guess if you are determined, you could clear off the top of the rock and build a nice brick or stone corner cairn.

Me- I'd probably move the post to where I didn't have to deal with the rock.

Treefarmer
    BigJim55, PJR832 and Big like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    When we build pasture fence we always make each corner using three posts. A corner post by itself is seldom strong enough to support the tension that will be on the fencing material. We set two more posts withing about 4-6' of the corner post and tie the three posts together with boards, then run your fencing around the corner.
    BigJim55, ctrider and Big like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The rock is big enough that moving a foot or two won't help. At this point, I would rather just put fencing up in that corner that doesn't require much tension, and will better follow the sloppy grade.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Support

Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    The rock is big enough that moving a foot or two won't help. At this point, I would rather just put fencing up in that corner that doesn't require much tension, and will better follow the sloppy grade.
    I guess you could try using something like the flexible fencing used around construction sites but unless you have something to keep that corner post upright, it's going to fall over. You can run tension cables to a ground anchor behind the rock or bracing back to posts down the line but someway you are going to have to support that corner post.

Normal fencing practice is a brace at least 8' long and preferably 10' with diagonal wire bracing back to the line posts on each side of the corner. If you can't have a solid corner posts and definitely want the fence in that location, I think you are down to tension cables to anchors outside of the fence or boards back to the line posts. Another option is fence panels that lock together at the corner, either wire fence panels like livestock panels or more dressy picket fence panels but even those will need locking down somewhere.

The livestock panels come in various lengths. We've used them up to 4' high and 16' long. They are available from various places including here: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tarter-Actu...-Panel/3479813 .

Treefarmer
    PJR832 and Big like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #6
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:15 AM
    Thanks
    Drill a few holes in the rock and epoxy some rod in it, then pour concrete in the hole and attach post to the concrete footer. Or concrete the post in with the rod that is epoxied to the rock.
    fdmars, arlen, Treefarmer and 1 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 AM
    Thanks

Fence issues

You could run a wire from the top of that post up the hill along the fence line and secure it to the bottom of one there, apply tension to straighten the post up and then secure your fence to it. We also use cattle panels in tough areas like that too, but they are only 16', so you would need another post up the hill for that.
    Garandpa,

2000 JD 790 w/70 Series Loader, CountyLine Fence Stretcher, Kodiak 5' Box Blade, Woods RM59 Mower, Yard Sale 5' Rotary Mower & 5' Scrape Blade
    2005 JD L111, 42" cut Lawn Tractor
    2013 JD 5075e w/2017 H240 Loader, 2004 JD MX6 Rotary Mower, 2017 Woods HBL84-2 Scrape Blade, Titan Hay Spike, Titan Forks, 6' Titan Grapple

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:46 AM
    Thanks
    If your getting down 12", that is enough for concrete to set and hold the post in. I have done that before when I cannot get down far enough to sturdy the post.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    If your getting down 12", that is enough for concrete to set and hold the post in. I have done that before when I cannot get down far enough to sturdy the post.
    Oh, there's already concrete down there. Did absolutely nothing to help. You can push this post over by hand if you push hard enough.
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 11:21 AM
    Thanks
    Can you make an H brace on the post close to the tractor in-line to that corner post? Tension your fencing to that and then just have a short section of fencing from the end of the H brace to that corner post installed just hand tight, not stretched?. Then do the same on the next section?
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements